J K Reads [Book Club] discussion

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jane (new)

Jane Kelsey (jane_kelsey) | 49 comments Mod

Daniela - The Bookish Living (thebookishliving) | 15 comments OMG she knows about Taro! And he didn't tell her off, and he WISHED HER LUCK, almost died with this scene. Also, I love how Tami tought Mari all the ways to keep calm and to think before reacting, it's so awesome.

message 3: by Alexandria (new)

Alexandria In Wonderland (alexandriainwonderland) | 11 comments Day 3 done!

And my new favorite character is Hanako! I seem to be reading her dialogue in the voice of Luna Lovegood. I've always had a fondness for odd characters, or as as Akira says, characters that are, "A few hairs short of a full wig."

I was very impressed with the description of the Summer Room. There was a bit of a Hunger Games vibe going on which I loved.

Very keen to venture into the other seasons. And to see how Hiros promise, Akiras training and Hanakos yokai rebellion are going to come into play. There are a lot of moving pieces on the board.

Quotes for the day:

"A man too full of himself is empty inside."

"I want to be brave. I want to be worthy of love. I want to live in the light."

"He was mightier than the sum of his faults."

Happy reading.x

message 4: by Claire (new)

Claire I'm really starting to get a feel for Akira now, his character is truly starting to come into his own now.

The Summer Room was totally awesome! I think the riddle was far too easy, though. Just once I'd like to see a really difficult riddle in a YA book. Stop underestimating us, authors!

So, does anyone else think it's totally suspicious that Asami keeps her neck covered at all times? What's she hiding? A collar maybe?

I'm glad Sei has been brought up to the palace, she's really nice!

Also, I just want to say, ferrets aren't rodents! Hanako got that wrong. Poor Large getting mislabelled like that!

Can't wait to see what develops in the other seasonal rooms!

message 5: by Charvi (new)

Charvi (notjustfiction) I'm loving the pace and the multiple aub plots in this book! So happy to see more of Akira, definitely one of my favorite characters. I liked the scene between Taro and Mari too. Ooh and I definitely love the new edition - Hanako. She feels like a mix between Elsa and Luna Lovegood(as Alex here mentioned) and I'm really curious about her now!

message 6: by Charvi (new)

Charvi (notjustfiction) Also thanks Alex Andria for the analysis and the quotes, I love that you do that!

Daniela - The Bookish Living (thebookishliving) | 15 comments I'm feeling the same Claire, my thoughts about Akira are starting to change. I like his determination and willingness to learn. As for the riddle, well I thought it was something with wings because of the clapping part, it never occurred to me that it could be a mountain lol. Guess I'm not that good with that haha.

And Alex, I love Hanako too. She is my favourite now as well. Her character, so independent and sassy. She doesn't let anybody stamp over her, and her pet friends, I totally fell for the way she cares for them and how it is reciprocal. She was able to see Akiras confident issues and without hesitation she made it clear to him. Gosh, she is awesome. Plus, I'm sure she can fight like nobody else.

The Summer Room was indeed a challenge, and the bow-arrow girl? Hope karma takes care of her. Asami is pretty suspicious indeed, yep maybe she's hiding a collar because she is part of the Revolution and has infiltrated in the competition (?).

message 8: by Alexandria (new)

Alexandria In Wonderland (alexandriainwonderland) | 11 comments Thank you! This book is just full of really great quotes... It's hard to choose only 2/3! 😋

Charvi wrote: "Also thanks Alex Andria for the analysis and the quotes, I love that you do that!"

message 9: by Alexandria (new)

Alexandria In Wonderland (alexandriainwonderland) | 11 comments I love her little friends too. Her relationship with Ren is my favorite. It reminded me a bit of Sarah and Ludo from Labyrinth! ❤️

The Bookish Living wrote: "I'm feeling the same Claire, my thoughts about Akira are starting to change. I like his determination and willingness to learn. As for the riddle, well I thought it was something with wings because..."

message 10: by Véronique (new)

Véronique | 6 comments I loved this bit as well! The Room reminded me a lot of the Hunger Games, but I loved it nonetheless! I’m amazed by how the “relationship” between Mari and Taro is progressing, I can’t wait to read more about them! And omg, Akira is definitely becoming my favourite character, I can’t wait to see him use his skill with his weapon!

The only thing that annoyed me was the riddle the girls got before they entered the room. It was exactly the same riddle Gollum gave to Biblo in The Hobbit. I mean, if you’re going to add a riddle in your books, don’t use such a iconic one!

But other than that, I loved it! I kind of hate doing this readalong, because I’m restricting myself to only read the set chapters, but damn I want to continue with this book!! Tomorrow can’t come fast enough!! (:

message 11: by Jane (new)

i am so glad it's not just me thinking it has hunger games vibes to it, but I actually love it. I haven't read in a while something along those lines.

it is difficult for me as well to pace myself, but in a way I feel like I am enjoying it a lot more by postponing the next read. once we finish this readalong we can made a vote if we prefer chunks of 50 pages or 100 pages a day. I feel that some people might struggle with 100.

message 12: by Charvi (new)

Charvi (notjustfiction) Yeah, same. Issues with restraint....I accidentally read ahead and now I literally have to push myself away from this book!

message 13: by Jane (new)

at least we are enjoying it. hehehehe