J K Reads [Book Club] discussion

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jane (new)

Jane Kelsey (jane_kelsey) | 49 comments Mod

Daniela - The Bookish Living (thebookishliving) | 15 comments I just can't handle it anymore, I almost cried when Tami opened her heart to Mari. And then Akira, I fell sorry for him, but Tami was telling the truth and (thankfully) he is aware of it. But to be honest, Mari won't love him even if he starts being brave out of a sudden because she doesn't want that, if she'd fell for him it would have already happened and sadly it didn't. Just hope everything turns out good for him.

message 3: by Claire (new)

Claire Mari and Taro's first encounter was cute. I like how they both want the same thing -- freedom! How much would you love one of those cute mechanical birds, though?

I don't know why, but I think Sei is an awesome character. It'll be nice for Mari to have someone to confide in. I am glad Mari is away from home, though. She can really grow without her mom breathing down her neck.

I wonder when that debt of Hiro's will come back into play?

message 4: by Jane (new)

I really enjoyed this chunk. it's also nice that we get more of a Mari POV than the other characters. I really liked getting to know the characters more and I have a feel this novel can go so many ways...

Daniela - The Bookish Living (thebookishliving) | 15 comments Yes, this part of the book was just awesome. Though it was kind of predictable that Mari and Taro were going to meet each other in the way they did, I still loved the scene! The little copper bird, and this defiant Mari made my day.

message 6: by Véronique (new)

Véronique | 6 comments Omg yes! I loved this bit of the book (: I’m amazed by Hiro and I can’t wait to see what part in this book he’s going to play. It sure is going to be interesting and might make for an unexpected turn in this book! Also the meeting of Mari and Taro, I can’t 😍

message 7: by Jane (new)

Daniela wrote: "Yes, this part of the book was just awesome. Though it was kind of predictable that Mari and Taro were going to meet each other in the way they did, I still loved the scene! The little copper bird,..."

I thought it was really cute, I love this "trope" to be fair, and the reveal will make it even more interesting I guess. I knew from page 1 that there'll be something there... hehhe

message 8: by Jane (new)

Véronique wrote: "Omg yes! I loved this bit of the book (: I’m amazed by Hiro and I can’t wait to see what part in this book he’s going to play. It sure is going to be interesting and might make for an unexpected tu..."

same! IT was the the cutest! I did't see the thing with Hiro coming at all. I also love this thing about their debts and revenges that span decades, and love/hate buring fast and hard.

message 9: by Alexandria (new)

Alexandria In Wonderland (alexandriainwonderland) | 11 comments Just finished Chapter 15! *love*

I liked the scene where Taro and Mari first meet, indeed it was very cute, however I did find it to be a bit too convenient. And I'm really hoping that this isn't going to turn into a typical love triangle...

But there are so many wonderful things about this book. The world building is great. I've been looking up images of the different yokai as they come up. The Japanese culture comes through so beautifully, I don't want this book to end. I think this world would make such a great series!

Some of my favorite quotes from day 2:

"Isn't that the foundation of bravery, resilience coupled with an iron will?"

"It is easy to pass judgment, far harder to understand."

And the ultimate quote!

"What she lacks in height, she makes up for in confidence."

Happy reading everyone.

message 10: by Jane (new)

What a fun day to read! it has all been a lot better for reading with every one of you guys! Love loveove hearing your opinions. ♡♡♡

message 11: by Freebird (new)

Freebird Writer | 2 comments Wow! What’s a compete transformation! As I said, I didn’t know how I feel about this book but over the past few chapters I can honestly say I know what you are all feeling towards this book. I’m enjoying it.

I like we main got one characters POV (with two chapters being from two different characters). I feel I got to know Meri more in these parts. I know her heart and mind a lot better. She is starting to be a strong character.

There was a lot of growth for all the chapters in this section. From Tori to Hiro. I can’t wait to see where the novel takes me and the people I’ll meet.

message 12: by Charvi (new)

Charvi (notjustfiction) I am absolutely loving this book! I love how they revealed a piece of Tami's character and how well it fit in with everything. Also I'm really getting attached to Akira. I like how he took a courageous step to seek out a journey of his own. His motive may be to be better for Mari but I have a feeling he is going to grow tremendously and maybe find someone else? I hope he doesn't get hurt much. As for Mari and Taro's first meeting it was definitely cute but I found it a little cliché and annoying that Taro decided to postpone his freedom a bit just for a girl he talked to for a minute.... Rest the book is going great!

message 13: by Jane (new)

totally agree. it has been so enjoyable and filled with promise.

message 14: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 2 comments I made it to chapter 15 and I've had to dnf it... Sadly its just not for me. I hope you all enjoy the rest of the book x

message 15: by Jane (new)

Stephanie wrote: "I made it to chapter 15 and I've had to dnf it... Sadly its just not for me. I hope you all enjoy the rest of the book x"

No two people read the same book. It's a sadness when books don't work. Plenty of hugs