The Sword and Laser discussion

Ka: Dar Oakley in the Ruin of Ymr
This topic is about Ka
Ka:Dar Oakley in the Ruin of Ymr > Ka: Similar to Jonathan Livingston Seagull?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Joyce (eternity21) | 178 comments As I read this book I am so reminded of Jonathan Livingston Seagull of which I've a read a couple of times. It is lyrical and I find that I am enjoying this book as it is fairly relaxing to read. I love the interactions with other birds and animals. We all like to think about what our animals are thinking don't we. LOL. So far about a third of the way through the book. I am alternating between reading and audiobook. The Author reads it and this helps with the pronunciations of the names.

message 2: by Logan5jr (new)

Logan5jr | 25 comments Yes exactly. This is what I'm thinking at 5%. Hope it picks up.

message 3: by terpkristin (new) - added it

terpkristin | 4203 comments I’ve never heard of Jonathan Livingston Seagull but man I’m so bored (to the point of distraction), only an hour in. The OP doesn’t give me much hope for finishing this. I am completely uninterested in what animals “see” and how they interpret humans/human things even in meme form.

message 4: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments terpkristin wrote: "I’ve never heard of Jonathan Livingston Seagull"

Okay, get comfortable as I begin my 27-part series about the wonder that was the 1970s....

message 5: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 4148 comments Yeah, that book is pretty awesome. From my martial arts days, the idea of speed that is not speed was great. The application being, you don't "do" the technique, don't think it or force it or make it go. It happens.

message 6: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments The joy of EST.

message 7: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tassie Dave | 3639 comments Mod
terpkristin wrote: "I’ve never heard of Jonathan Livingston Seagull."

It was all the rage in the early 70's and we were made to read it at school. I must have been too young, because I was bored shitless by it ;-) It was a little too spiritual for a wild young boy ;-)
"Apparently" hip adults gushed all over it. Kids hated it ;-)

I'm liking Ka though

Trike wrote: "Okay, get comfortable as I begin my 27-part series about the wonder that was the 1970s...."

ABBA, HQ Kingswood, Flare pants, Star Wars .....

message 8: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 4148 comments Not knowing the 70s! A tragedy!

...which, as any kid of the 70s will tell you, is when the feeling's gone and you can't go on, it's tragedy...

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1661 comments Joyce wrote: "As I read this book I am so reminded of Jonathan Livingston Seagull of which I've a read a couple of times. It is lyrical and I find that I am enjoying this book as it is fairly relaxi..."

What I also liked about the animal POV here is that the author was not trying to humanize Dar Oakley (or made his tale into an allegory of men) and gave him his own, unique voice.

message 10: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments John (Taloni) wrote: "Not knowing the 70s! A tragedy!

...which, as any kid of the 70s will tell you, is when the feeling's gone and you can't go on, it's tragedy..."

I think the song which epitomizes the 70s has to be Muskrat Love. I mean, really listen to the lyrics. The guy who wrote that song had to have been on some major drugs. And this song was recorded numerous times by some of the biggest musicians of the era, with the ultimate peak being the cover by The Captain & Tennille.

This wasn’t some weird little oddity no one’s ever heard of, this song - particularly the Captain & Tennille version - was a HUGE hit that received heavy airplay.

Listen to this thing: https://youtu.be/bjqeNoi6EmM I mean, by the time you get to the synthesizer conversation between Muskrat Sammy and Muskrat Susie — which, to be clear, is very much pillow talk in the post-coital afterglow of the consummation of their marriage — you really do have wonder if the government was just dumping LSD and THC into the water supply.

I can not listen to this song without howling in laughter. This was a chart-topping hit that we heard ALL THE TIME.

Don’t even get me started on The Piña Colada Song. (Which I absolutely LOVE, but is hilariously idiotic.)

Joyce (eternity21) | 178 comments Loved the muskrats lol. I’m a true child of the 70s. Do you remember the movie of Johnathan Livingston Seagull? Soundtrack was by Neil Diamond.

message 12: by Mike (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mike (mindolin) | 24 comments I remember my dad playing the 8 track cassette of the audio book, when I was little. I'm not sure but i think it was narrated by Richard Harris.

message 13: by Phil (last edited Dec 13, 2018 09:41AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Phil | 1160 comments I remember my parents talking about the movie when I was young. I think they probably dismissed it as "hippy crap". Admittedly, it's probably the same way I dismiss a lot of stuff as "artsy fartsy hipster crap" today.

Jessica (j-boo) | 322 comments You can count me among the group who has never heard of this Jonathan fellow...er, gull