readers advisory for all discussion

so ask already!!! > Post-apocalypse sci-fi adventure

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason (skinnydippingintobooks) | 234 comments Howdy readers!

I am on a search for 'Post-apocalypse sci-fi adventure' novels for a Christmas gift. I am stuck. I read post-apocalypse books, sure, but I haven't turned the pages of many sci-fi books. Any recs? Any genre/style/setting/whatever works! subtle or in your face works. Also, 'off the radar', as in not on best sellers lists is a plus!

I've listed a few below that I think fit, but I've only read 'The Reapers Are the Angels' so I don't know if any of the others work...

THANK YOU ENDLESSLY!

So far I have:

Borne: A Novel
The Reapers Are the Angels
Good Morning, Midnight
Station Eleven
Lock In
The Knife of Never Letting Go
Strange Practice (A Dr. Greta Helsing Novel)

laurel [the suspected bibliophile] (laurelthereader) | 6 comments Sarah Lyons Fleming writes post-apocalyptic zombie books that are amazing.

Also:

Hell Divers
Ninth City Burning
Steelheart (YA)
Insignia (YA)
The End of the World Running Club (less sci-fi)
Partials (YA)
Wool
Jennifer Government

Hope these all help!

message 3: by Jason (new)

Jason (skinnydippingintobooks) | 234 comments laurel [suspected bibliophile] wrote: "Sarah Lyons Fleming writes post-apocalyptic zombie books that are amazing.

Also:

Hell Divers
Ninth City Burning
Steelheart (YA)
Insignia (YA)
The End of the World Running Club (less sci-fi)
Parti..."

you are lovely! thank you thank you thank you!

laurel [the suspected bibliophile] (laurelthereader) | 6 comments Jason wrote: "laurel [suspected bibliophile] wrote: "Sarah Lyons Fleming writes post-apocalyptic zombie books that are amazing.

Also:

Hell Divers
Ninth City Burning
Steelheart (YA)
Insignia (YA)
The End of the..."

No problem! If you need more and like these, let me know :)

message 5: by 4bravecats (new)

4bravecats | 10 comments I'm reaching way back to when I was in my late 20's for a book that is both Sci-Fi and Post-apocalyptic. So memorable, and certainly not on a best seller list, though it is still in print:
"A Canticle for Leibowitz" by Walter M. Miller Jr.

It's really worth a look. Intelligent and unusual, and not filled with despair, as so many are.
~~~~ Let us know which you choose for the gift.

message 6: by Jason (new)

Jason (skinnydippingintobooks) | 234 comments 4bravecats wrote: "I'm reaching way back to when I was in my late 20's for a book that is both Sci-Fi and Post-apocalyptic. So memorable, and certainly not on a best seller list, though it is still in print:
"A Canti..."

thanks! never heard of it & thats a good thing!

message 7: by Julie (new)

Julie | 8 comments The Trees by Ali Shaw. British writer, but boy does he have a fantastic imagination. Maybe more dystopian fiction. Same for Station 11 by Emily St. John Mandel.

message 8: by Rose (new)

Rose | 2 comments loved station 11

drowningmermaid | 7 comments What kind of post-apocalypse are you looking for? And what age-group are you buying for?

There's the dystopia post-apocalypse-- The Girl With All the Gifts has an unusual perspective.

There's the "bring the magical child to special place and save the world" journey story. Things like The Electric State (very unusual book in that it is a fully illustrated post-apocalyptic novel)

There's the hideously believable post-apocalypse like The Road

message 10: by Jason (new)

Jason (skinnydippingintobooks) | 234 comments nice recs! thanks

message 11: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten McKenzie (kirstenmckenzieauthor) | 11 comments I can recommend all the books by Mark Gillespie I've just read The Curse, loved it. Set in New York. But his Future of London series is incredible. Start with The Future of London Box Set 1: L-2011, Mr Apocalypse, Ghosts of London.

message 12: by Rossdavidh (new)

Rossdavidh | 2 comments When I was a youngster, I loved Andre Norton's "Daybreak:2250 A.D.", aka "Star Man's Son: 2250 A.D." Now, I have to admit, I haven't read it in about 40 years, so I can't say if it would hold up. But it was definitely post-apocalyptic, and sci-fi, and I recall loving it.