AMERICAN HISTORICAL NOVELS discussion

The Fadoodlin' Etymology of Sex in THE RIVER BY STARLIGHT

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ellen (last edited Dec 05, 2018 05:28PM) (new)

Ellen Notbohm | 33 comments BOOK GIVEAWAY now closed.
Congrats, Donna Hammer Durnell!
All comments all week entered in Friday's drawing for a THE RIVER BY STARLIGHT book goodies bundle, including signed book, note card set, Snore in Peace herbal tea, and a coaster for your tea mug while you read.

Today we dive into THE FADOODLIN’ ETYMOLOGY OF SEX and how my brilliant, history-lovin’ editor skewered a slew of who-knew? anachronisms in my manuscript.

The most perennial question asked of historical fiction writers is, how and where did you research? My pursuit of facts and insights for The River by Starlight and its based-on-real-life protagonists Annie and Adam Fielding sent me across eleven states and four provinces, visiting in person and cyber-consulting more than 40 libraries and archives. I thought of it as a treasure hunt, unearthing vital statistics, school, military, prison, cemetery, land, court, census, immigration, naturalization, and theological records. Voter registration. Business licenses. Insurance policies. County and state fair entries.

For historical fiction authors, our drive for accuracy in the smallest details can border on obsessive. But after ten years in hot pursuit of those details, the resource that honed my manuscript’s voice to its finest edge of historical authenticity was a human, not a repository: an eagle-eyed editor with an exuberant love of etymology.

For scenes taking place between 1910 and 1921, I’d already caught early-draft anachronisms like “surreal” and “radar.” But my editor caught upwards of a dozen more. Who knew that no one “shushed” anyone until 1925, that “place mats” and “drop cloths” weren’t called such until 1928, that “dust mop” didn’t come along until 1953? That little girls didn’t wear their hair in a “ponytail” and jokes didn’t have a “punch line” until 1916. Jeepers! Whoops—that interjection wasn’t around until 1927.

Blue language: some things old, something things new
But most amusing was how many of her etymological catches had to do with that universally intriguing and bestselling subject: sex. And it offered a fascinating dichotomy: as we delved into the origins of blue language (an expression dating to 1840), we learned that words we think of as contemporary may go back centuries, while words we think of as vintage are in fact relatively contemporary.

Our etymological sex education started when Adam, in a 1911 scene, needed a sarcastic simile to express his contented state of mind to a bartender. “I’m happier than a baby in a barrel of tits,” he explains, which my editor flagged for revision: “Teats” was in use as early as the 13th century, “titties” dates back to 1746, but “tits” didn’t come into usage until 1928. Later in the story, another character’s reference to “diddies” was revised to “diddeys,” per Merriam-Webster.

On rolls the story to where, in the face of relentless physical and mental health issues with Annie’s pregnancies in the 1910s, the couple is advised to consider using “rubbers.” “The condom sense of this word dates only to the 1930s,” said my editor, suggesting maybe I should revert to “condom” (1706). I hauled out my (highly entertaining) file of early condom advertisements, and noted that while all the packages used the terms “rubber prophylactics” or “protectives,” none used the word “condom.” Further research revealed that the, um, contents of a condom were the origin of one of today’s favorite insults, “scumbag” (1939). We settled on “rubber sheath” (1861).

Later still, Annie finds her virtue questioned by a mental hospital patient who hurls the insult, “Slattern!” (1630s). Not one to go quietly, Annie returns a fusillade of loose-woman epithets. Up went the editor’s flag. Seems that “harlot” (ca 1200), “strumpet” (ca 1300), “trollop” (1610s), “hussy” (1650s), and “floozy” (1902) were appropriate to the 1918 scene, but “tramp” met with the delete button because its meaning “promiscuous woman” dates only to 1922.

Surely things would mellow out for our heroine as she overcomes extreme adversity, settles into a placid spell, and can enjoy some long-overdue tender “lovemaking.” But no. Said my intrepid editor, “While this word has been around since the fifteenth century, its original sense was of courtship. As a euphemism for ‘have sex,’ it is attested only from c. 1950.” Disgruntled Author changed it to “coupling” (late 1300s), muttering that it sounds too much like hardware.
Charting word usage through time

Frequency of usage is also a factor in historical authenticity. Tools like Google Ngram use charts to visually depict word usage over centuries. Here we can see just how much that usage of the f-bomb, that ultimate in sexually-charged verbs, now turned everyday adjective, has increased—by a “whopping” (1620s) 23,000% since 1950. Before that it had nearly flatlined since 1820 or so, hence it pops up only once in dialogue in The River by Starlight—as an unintended double entendre, with great impact bestowed by its rarity.

But our free-wheeling contemporary use of the f-word doesn’t hold a “fadoodlin’” (1611) candle to our bawdy ancestors, who in the mid-1600s used it at twice the rate we do today.

Hubba-hubba (1944)!

Have you identified anachronisms in your reading and writing? Or have a word whose origin you’re curious about? Comment here and I’ll look it up for you!

[The Fadoodlin’ Etymology of Sex originally published on Suzanne Adair’s blog Relevant History]

message 2: by Martha (new)

Martha Conway | 255 comments Mod
Fascinating! I love the word fadoodlin, and plan to use it now whenever I can. :)

I also was surprised at the anachronisms my copy editor found, especially because I subscribed (for a month) to the online OED, which gives etymology details. This is a rabbit hole I'm happy to go down. Who knew that teats and titties were used in the 19thC, but not tits! That's so weird!!

As a footnote, my current WIP is set just after the civil war, and condoms make an appearance in my story as well, but I describe them as "French Letters"— which was how they were marketed in some areas—but maybe I should re-check that. Rubber sheath convetys the idea, certainly!

message 3: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Notbohm | 33 comments I got carried away with condom research because it was just so fun. I have a whole folder of vintage condom tins. SO entertaining. All that for two brief scenes. Did you know condoms go back to ancient Egypt? Fadoodle that!

message 4: by Rina (new)

Rina (rdgirl) | 35 comments So fascinating! I have a new word now too!

message 5: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Notbohm | 33 comments Glad you liked it! That was some fun research too, finding a website with a whole page of 16th-17th century slang for bumpin' fuzzies. :)