Women of the World discussion

Book Lists > Huff Post: '21 Books That Every Woman Should Read'

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty (kirstyonbooks) | 427 comments Mod
I found this great article on the Huffington Post, which recommends 21 books, published between 2010 and 2015, which it believes every woman should read. You can see the list and their commentary here. I have typed the list out for ease of use here.

1. Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
2. Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng
3. The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt
4. Land of Love and Drowning by Tiphanie Yanique
5. Bad Feminist by Roxane Gay
6. Boy, Snow, Bird by Helen Oyeyemi
7. Her by Christa Parravani
8. Drink: The Intimate Relationship Between Women and Alcohol by Ann Dowsett Johnston
9. The Lifeboat by Charlotte Rogan
10. NW by Zadie Smith
11. Swamplandia! by Karen Russell
12. Ten Thousand Saints by Eleanor Henderson
13. How Should a Person Be? by Sheila Heti
14. Room by Emma Donoghue
15. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
16. Bossypants by Tina Fey
17. Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death, and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity by Katherine Boo
18. The Orchardist by Amanda Coplin
19. Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed
20. The Lowland by Jhumpa Lahiri
21. Yes Please by Amy Poehler

How many of these have you read, and which pique your interest?

message 2: by Kirsty (new)

I count a few of these books amongst my favourites: The Goldfinch and The Lowland were five star reads for me, and the following all got four stars: Everything I Never Told You, The Lifeboat, Room, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks.

I love Ngozi Adichie's novels, but Americana was one which I didn't really get on with upon its release. I'd like to try rereading it at some point, however. I tried reading Bad Feminist a couple of weeks ago, and whilst I love Gay's fiction, I did not enjoy it at all; it felt too bitty to me.

I must admit that I'm not at all interested in the Tina Fey or Amy Poehler titles, but would try everything else!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I absolutely love The Goldfinch and The Lowland too! I read Celest Ng's Little Fires Everywhere recently, which I really enjoyed. Her characters were so fully-formed and intriguing. I really want to try Everything I Never Told You, which is on this list.

message 4: by Kirsty (new)

Ooh, I really liked Little Fires Everywhere too; such a fascinating novel! Have you read any Claire Messud before? Her style reminds me of Ng's in places, so I think you might enjoy her!

message 5: by Claire (new)

Claire (clairemcalpine) | 17 comments I've read 6 of these Americanah, The Lifeboat, NW, Room, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, and Wild.

I think Americanah is great, but I'd be more likely to recommend Homegoing or Kintu.

I would add Nayomi Munaweera's Island of a Thousand Mirrors, Han Kang's Human Acts, and Prayers for the Stolen by Jennifer Clement.

message 6: by Debi G. (new)

Debi G. (mrsgeorgereads) I’ve only read six of them so far.
It’s always exhilarating to find new lists to add to my to-read pile.

message 7: by Kirsty (new)

Fantastic sounding choices, Claire!

I hope you enjoy these when you get to them, Debi!

message 8: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Dunn The Tins Fey was awful. Much preferred Everything I Never Told You to Little Fires Everywhere.

message 9: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Dunn Uh, that would be Tina Fey.