Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Awards > Question pertaining to Award year

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ༺Kiki༻ (new)

༺Kiki༻ (kim-mari) | 17 comments I'd like to add winners to the Sigurd Olson Nature Writing Award (SONWA), but I’m uncertain about the year.

The GR award page doesn’t match the SONWA website. For instance, Open Spaces is listed on the GR award page as "Sigurd Olson Nature Writing Award (1992)". The SONWA site states that Open Spaces received the 1991 award.

Criteria and award process can be found here. For example: The 2018 award is announced in April of 2019 to books holding a 2018 copyright.

It appears that all books on the GR award page are using the year the award was announced, not the year for which the award was given according to the The SONWA Winners winners page.

Which year should I use?

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 4675 comments ⋟Kimari⋞ wrote: "I'd like to add winners to the Sigurd Olson Nature Writing Award (SONWA), but I’m uncertain about the year.

The GR award page doesn’t match the SONWA website. For instance, [book:Open Spaces|3568..."

Hi ⋟Kimari⋞

The awards should match the date the organisation gives. So if SONWA feels the award they give in 2019 is the 2018 award that is the date that should be used. Feel free to make the corrections

I don't know if you have entered awards before, but these awards have categories which can be tricky the first couple of times you do them. If you need any help/advice just sing out! :)

message 3: by ༺Kiki༻ (new)

༺Kiki༻ (kim-mari) | 17 comments Thanks Carol!

I had a hunch that the dates should match SONWA’s. The Librarian’s Manual didn’t specify, so I thought it best to ask. I’ve worked on awards before so I should be all set. If not, I’ll give whistle. :D