You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Chit Chat About Books > Best & Worst of 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 81 (81 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14875 comments Our December tradition! Just in time for all of us to expand our TBR's and Christmas wishlists ;-).

List the 5 best and 5 worst books you read in 2018.

message 2: by Peggy, Moderator (last edited Dec 05, 2018 12:30AM) (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14875 comments Best
Two favourites by far
Circe
To The Bright Edge of the World

Other favourites
The Core
The Princess Bride
Mythos: The Greek Myths Retold (currently reading this, but the way it's going I expect it deserves a place here)

Other 5 star books this year were A Monster Calls and A Desperate Fortune

Worst
These are not necessarily super bad because then I would have abandoned them, but I gave all of these 2 or 2.5 stars, which were my lowest ratings this year. In no particular order:
Sarah's Key
At the Water's Edge
Key Lime Pie Murder
Nights at the Circus (did abandon this one, but might give it a try again sometime)
Uprooted

message 3: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9302 comments I love these end of the year threads! I am on my phone so I can't link, but I will report my bests/worst when I am on my computer, probably on Friday. I'll be reading yours, though.

message 4: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9302 comments @ Peggy, it seems it was a good reading year for you with so many 5 stars and also your lowest rating being 2 - 2.5 stars which is not that bad.

message 5: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14875 comments Yes, it was not bad at all!

49 books read so far of which 30 were 4 or 5 stars.

message 6: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9302 comments I envy you. I don't think my hear was that good. It was obviously better than last year, though. I will check all of this.

message 7: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9302 comments *my year

Have to hate autocorrect...

message 8: by Lisa (last edited Dec 05, 2018 02:19AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I love this thread! I always look forward to it.

I haven't read many 5 star books this year so a couple that made my best list were 4 star reads.

BEST:

1) The Toymakers (You probably all guessed this was coming, I have raved about it enough on here)
2) Sugar Money (I am still reading this but I can't see it not deserving a place on this list as it has been AMAZING so far)
3) Circe
4) Call Me By Your Name (I gave this 4 stars but it still deserves a place on this list as it was such an intense, memorable read. The film adaptation was even better. I enjoyed both so much I even got a tattoo of one of my favourite quotes from it)
5) The Haunting of Henry Twist

I haven't had any 1 star reads this year so my worst list is made up of 2 and 3 star reads.

WORST:

1) The Couple Next Door (I thought this was very overrated. I didn't like the characters and I guessed pretty much all of the plot twists well ahead of time)
2) The Tattooist of Auschwitz (I don't understand all the raves for this book. The writing was poor, the characters flat and the whole thing was basically one huge letdown)
3) The Chalk Man
4) The Coffin Path (I gave this 3 stars but it makes this list because I was expecting so much more from it.
5) The Proof of Love

message 9: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18170 comments I don't have a huge amount to choose from this time around as I've hardly read any books.
Best
Firestarter
The Outsider
Dark Matter
Head On
The Core

I could easily add another couple to this but will stick to 5 like a good girl.

Least favourite (not worst as these were all 3 stars)
A Wizard of Earthsea
Kraken
Cinder

message 10: by Almeta (last edited Dec 05, 2018 04:05AM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10089 comments WARNINGThis is a VERY dangerous thread!☻

I had a lot of five star reads this year. Some Goodreads members use this "book" and its review section to share five star reads with others here:
2018 on Goodreads I GAVE IT FIVE STARS
Of this list I will pick these five:

UNUSUAL SELLING POINT
Hag-Seed

BUMP IN THE NIGHT
Baby Teeth

SAI KING RECOMMENDS
Spider Kiss

GET A ROOM
November 9

HISSY-FIC
Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet

My least favorite five got two stars anyway:
Dietland
The Sorcerer's Appendix
The Girls of August
The Casual Vacancy
See What I Have Done

message 12: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Dec 05, 2018 04:30PM) (new)

Kristie | 13264 comments This is tough! My original list had ten 5-star reads on it, which I pecked away at until I had just five. I'm not really sure if these are my top top 5 or not, but they're the ones I'm going with.

Best
The Broken Girls
The Summer Children
The Outsider
Last Breath
The Hate U Give

So a couple of these were just not good and a few were ok. I had quite a few just ok books this year, but I think this list is close to my bottom.

Worst
My Real Name Is Hanna I seem to be the only one. I dnf this at 43%
Leave No Trace Could not engage with this one either dnf at 47%
Flight
The Tao of Pooh
Frankenstein

message 13: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9302 comments It seems The Outsider is a winner in this group besides de GR award.

message 15: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18170 comments Sandra wrote: "It seems The Outsider is a winner in this group besides de GR award."

It does indeed!

message 16: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18170 comments Glad you enjoyed Consuming Fire Janice. I need to prioritise that one. I loved the first book.

message 18: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Chantelle (shanti15) Kristie, Frankenstein is my all time favorite book. I'm surprised to see it on your worst list.

message 19: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13264 comments Jessica wrote: "Kristie, Frankenstein is my all time favorite book. I'm surprised to see it on your worst list."

I tend to not care for many classical books to begin with, but that one just didn't grab me at all. There was far too much whining and 'poor me' for my taste.

message 20: by Cherie (last edited Dec 05, 2018 07:22PM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19799 comments Back at you, Jessica - Pride and Prejudice is one of my all time favorites. ;o) I like your best list. I gave Gone Girl four stars. It was a group read here several years ago, so I might have rated it higher than if I had read it "alone".

We all like and dislike books differently. That is what makes this group so dynamic. I have not checked over all of the books that I read so far this year, to post my list, except that I just finished one that I know will be on my Worst list.

message 21: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13264 comments I always find it interesting when going through this thread and someone has a book listed as their favorite read of the year and someone else has the same book listed as their worst. I remember that happening last year.

Interestingly enough, Jessica, I think the reads you listed are similar for me. I enjoyed Ready Player One and thought The Fault in Our Stars was excellent. I didn't really care for Gone Girl. I haven't read the others, but I can't wait to read Where the Heart Is. It has been on my TBR for ages.

Uh oh, Cherie. Can't wait to see what it is. I know we still have time in December for my list to change too, but I'm hoping I don't have to add one to my worst list.

message 22: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Dec 05, 2018 08:58PM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48017 comments Sarah wrote: "Glad you enjoyed Consuming Fire Janice. I need to prioritise that one. I loved the first book."

The final book in the series will likely not be published until 2020. I'm rather sad.

Scalzie wrote the Consuming Fire in two weeks. He had a tweet about it. He had a lot of it planned out in his mind, but the actual writing of it was 2 weeks to meet a deadline. He said he'd never do it again.

message 23: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48017 comments Jessica wrote: "Best:
1. East of Eden
2. Ready Player One."

Ready Player One was on the top of my best list last year. I read Gerald's Game years ago and I have never forgotten it.

message 24: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48017 comments TrudyAn wrote: "Never Let Me Go."

Never Let Me Go was another book that I read years ago and never forgot.

message 26: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14875 comments I had Sarah's Key on my worst list too Sandra (which should be no surprise for you ;-)), and Winter Garden was one of my worst books last year. I even abandoned it.

message 28: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9302 comments Peggy wrote: "I had Sarah's Key on my worst list too Sandra (which should be no surprise for you ;-)), and Winter Garden was one of my worst books last year. I even abandoned it."

Yes, I notices Sarah's Key in your list. What actually surprised me was that we read it this year. It feels like ages ago.

Winter Garden was a disappointment. I finished it because it was for a toppler. "Snow in the cover" for the Bingo toppler, I remember.

message 29: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Dec 07, 2018 05:56AM) (new)

Kristie | 13264 comments siriusedward wrote: "Should I select 5 from the best....?
There are still more..."

Yes, that's the challenge. I had to trim mine down quite a bit too. It's not easy. Honestly, I'm not sure I liked some of the ones I listed any better than some of the ones I removed, but it's how I was feeling in the moment.

message 30: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18170 comments Love that King made it in to your top 5 Sandra especially as he is new to you.

That is amazing Janice that Scalzi wrote that in just 2 weeks! I don't blame him for not wanting to do it again though. I will no doubt get to it in 2019 and then waiting a year for the next one won't feel so bad.

message 31: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9302 comments I am in love with King right now. :)

message 32: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48017 comments Kristie wrote: "siriusedward wrote: "Should I select 5 from the best....?
There are still more..."

Yes, that's the challenge. I had to trim mine down quite a bit too. It's not easy. Honestly, I'm not sure I liked..."

Oops! I should trim down my worst list. I didn't read the instructions, obviously.

As for the best, I only had 5 books that received 5 stars this year!

message 33: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18170 comments Sandra wrote: "I am in love with King right now. :)"

Yay! I have lots of his books planned for next year, Salem's Lot being one of them! Oh and The Stand! That one is long overdue.

message 35: by Jenn (new)

message 36: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14875 comments We have some similarities Renee :)

message 37: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 1624 comments Yes we do. I think we have similar tastes

message 38: by Laura (Lclwags) (new)

Laura (Lclwags) (lclwags) | 504 comments Best
Rebecca Loved it!
Bunnicula Took me back to being a kid and reading James Howe books for the first time. Hot Fudge was my favorite book for years. I probably borrowed it from my library at least a dozen times.
Jurassic Park
The Lost World
Clockwork Angel

Worst
Shatter Me
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy This just wasn't my cup of tea.
Midnight at the Bright Ideas Bookstore The book was ok, but I felt it had so much more potential.
Resurrection in Mudbug I'm enjoying the rest of the series, but this book was just not very good.
Lullaby This is actually a short story that was supposed to be scary. It was pretty terrible.

message 39: by Laura (Lclwags) (new)

Laura (Lclwags) (lclwags) | 504 comments Janice,
I'm curious why Locke & Key was on your worst list. Audible has it recommended for me, so I was debating reading it.

message 40: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18170 comments Laura (Lclwags) wrote: "Janice,
I'm curious why Locke & Key was on your worst list. Audible has it recommended for me, so I was debating reading it."

I've never understood why they'd do an audiobook version of this. It's a graphic novel. For it to work, you need to be able to see the graphics. I loved this series. I read the graphic novels. The plot is good but by itself it would be lacking. The artwork was fantastic and really enhanced the reading experience.

message 41: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Dec 07, 2018 08:00PM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48017 comments Laura (Lclwags) wrote: "Janice,
I'm curious why Locke & Key was on your worst list. Audible has it recommended for me, so I was debating reading it."

Sarah explains it well. It would be like having someone read a comic book to you without showing you the cartoons. There's no narrative, just dialogue. I was completely lost. Fortunately, I got it for free from Audible.

message 42: by Clive (new)

Clive Matthews | 225 comments This was the year I got fully back into reading after a long time so it felt that I was discovering great books from the last few years every time I picked something up. Quite a challenge to pick just five best books but here goes!

1. It
2. Sourdough
3. His Bloody Project: Documents Relating to the Case of Roderick Macrae
4. All Quiet on the Western Front
5. The Man Who Died

Worst books was a bit easier, a few really stand out!

1. The Name of the Rose
2. Theft: A Love Story
3. The Trial
4. The Girl on the Train
5. 1st to Die

It's great to see everyone else's lists, some great inspiration for next year!

message 43: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14875 comments I'm pretty sure I had His Bloody Project in my top 5 last year, Clive. It's really good!

message 44: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9302 comments I think it was one of mine last year too. Many people in this group fond of His Bloody Project.

message 45: by Lisa (last edited Dec 08, 2018 03:32AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments His Bloody Project: Documents Relating to the Case of Roderick Macrae was on my Best list back in 2016. It's a brilliant book!

message 46: by Saar The Book owl (last edited Dec 08, 2018 04:53AM) (new)

message 48: by Vicki (new)

Vicki | 998 comments Hmm, I don't have a lot of 5-star books this year

Best:
Never Let Me Go
Necessary Lies
His Majesty's Dragon
The City & the City
The Ghosts of Ashbury High <-biggest surprise and probably not as good if it weren't for the audio.

Worst:
2 DNF (these are highly rated but not for me)
Red Queen
The Likeness

3 2-star reads
Harvest Home
The Lunar Cats
The Clockwork Dynasty

message 49: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 1624 comments I am loving this thread. It is filling my tbr list. It is also making me feel better for not liking certain books.

I always feel justified if I am not the only one who dislikes much hyped books.

« previous 1