Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2019 Quest for Women Authors > Angie's Attempt at a Quest for Women Authors - 2019

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie (last edited Sep 10, 2019 01:45PM) (new)

Angie | 583 comments I like the list pretty well, but I'm kind of twitchy about Black Beauty. Animal books tend to leave me in a sorry state of emotional wreckage. Still tinkering with these. Suggestions much appreciated.

12/31 Edit: I've done a little bit of tinkering, and this is what I think will be my final list.

1890s – At Fault
1900s – The Tale of Squirrel Nutkin
✔1910s – Herland (08/06/2019) ★★
1920s – Lud-in-the-Mist
✔1930s – Murder at the Vicarage (07/18/2019) ★★★★
1940s – The Body in the Library
1950s – The Ballad of the Sad Café and Other Stories
✔1960s – Catseye ★★★
✔1970s – The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas ★★★★
1980s – Downbelow Station

message 2: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2518 comments You've got some good books there, Angie. 'The Street' is superb, and both 'The Ballad of the Sad Café' and 'The Left Hand of Darkness' are very good.

message 3: by Angie (new)

Angie | 583 comments Thanks, Aubrey! I'm excited for this list. :)

message 4: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 1634 comments Nice list, Angie. I have never heard of At Fault, but it sounds interesting so there's another addition to my TBR. I hope you enjoy your challenge.

message 5: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
Black Beauty is a truly wonderful book. It does come with an emotional punch, but it is worthy of a few tears. There are smiles in it too. Happy reading!

message 6: by Angie (new)

Angie | 583 comments Laurie - I've read most everything Kate Chopin has written. I even took a class dedicated to her works in college. The one outstanding work from her I haven't read is At Fault. I'm excited to read it. Her work, in general, is outstanding.

Bob - I'm glad to hear Black Beauty has some happy times in it. I was reading that the author died shortly after its release.