Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2019 Classic Bingo Challenge > Susie's 2019 Classic Bingo Challenge

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susie (last edited Dec 28, 2019 11:51AM) (new)

Susie | 731 comments Yay...I'm in!

19/25

B1: ✔ 18th Century or Earlier Classic - The Prince 6/28/19 ⭐⭐⭐⭐
B2: ✔ Book Chosen by the Cover - The Voyage Out Illustrated edition 10/8/19 ⭐⭐⭐⭐
B3: ✔ European Classic - Silas Marner 8/15/19 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
B4: ✔ Telegraph’s 100 Novels List - The Hound of the Baskervilles 6/8/19 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
B5: ✔ 20th Century Classic - The Pillars of the Earth 2/2/19 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

I1: ✔ Book from the Group’s Bookshelf Prior to 2019 - A Room with a View 7/21/19 ⭐⭐⭐⭐
I2: New-to-You Author -
I3: ✔ Classic Play - Much Ado About Nothing 3/2/19 ⭐⭐⭐⭐
I4: ✔ Literary Prize of Your Country - The Age of Innocence 12/27/19 ⭐⭐⭐⭐
I5: ✔ Classic on Your Bookshelf For over a Year - The Lifted Veil 1/6/19 ⭐⭐⭐⭐

N1: ✔ South American Classic - The Bridge of San Luis Rey 4/24/19 ⭐⭐⭐⭐
N2: ✔ Short Story Collection - Brother Jacob 11/7/19 ⭐⭐
N3: ✔ FREE SPACE - The Mueller Report 6/19/19 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
N4: ✔ Poetry or Essay Collection - The Apple that Astonished Paris 9/7/19 ⭐⭐⭐
N5: Asian Classic -

G1: Winner of a Foreign Literary Prize -
G2: ✔ Classic By a Female Author - Adam Bede 5/30/19 ⭐⭐⭐⭐
G3: Classic Non-fiction -
G4: ✔ Written by Nobel Laureate - The Half-Finished Heaven 4/7/19 ⭐⭐⭐
G5: Book from the Group's 2019 Bookshelf -

O1: ✔19th Century Classic - The Hunchback of Notre Dame 4/21/19 ⭐⭐⭐
O2: ✔ Classic Sci-fi or Fantasy - The Golden Compass 10/31/19 ⭐⭐⭐⭐
O3: ✔ Classic Comedy or Satire - The Warden 11/8/19 ⭐⭐⭐⭐
O4: ✔ Classic Romance - The Grand Sophy 1/31/19 ⭐⭐⭐⭐1/2
O5: 21st Century Potential Classic -

XXXOX
XOXXX
XXXOX
XXXXX
XXOOO

The Lifted Veil by George Eliot The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer The Pillars of the Earth (Kingsbridge, #1) by Ken Follett Much Ado About Nothing (Folger Shakespeare Library) by William Shakespeare The Half-Finished Heaven by Tomas Tranströmer The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo The Bridge of San Luis Rey by Thornton Wilder Adam Bede by George Eliot The Hound of the Baskervilles (Illustrated) by Arthur Conan Doyle The Mueller Report by U.S. Department of Justice The Prince by Niccolò Machiavelli A Room with a View by E.M. Forster Silas Marner (Illustrated) by George Eliot The Apple that Astonished Paris by Billy Collins The Voyage Out Illustrated edition  by Virginia Woolf The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, #1) by Philip Pullman Brother Jacob by George Eliot The Warden (The Chronicles of Barsetshire Book 1) by Anthony Trollope The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton

message 2: by Susie (last edited Dec 28, 2019 11:52AM) (new)

Susie | 731 comments Potential reads and ideas for 2019:

18/25

B1: ✔ 18th Century or Earlier Classic - The Prince*, Oedipus at Colonus,
B2: ✔ Book Chosen by the Cover - The Voyage Out*,
B3: ✔ European Classic - Silas Marner*,
B4: ✔ Telegraph’s 100 Novels List - The Hound of the Baskervilles*, Father Goriot,
B5: ✔ 20th Century Classic - The Pillars of the Earth*,

I1: ✔ Book from the Group’s Bookshelf Prior to 2019 - A Room with a View*, The Hound of the Baskervilles,
I2: New-to-You Author - It Can't Happen Here, The Wreath,
I3: ✔ Classic Play - Much Ado About Nothing*, Titus Andronicus,
I4: ✔ Literary Prize of Your Country - The Age of Innocence*,
I5: ✔ Classic on Your Bookshelf For over a Year - The Lifted Veil*, The Hound of the Baskervilles,

N1: ✔ South American Classic - The Bridge of San Luis Rey*,
N2: ✔ Short Story Collection - Brother Jacob,Scenes of Clerical Life
N3: ✔ FREE SPACE - The Mueller Report*
N4: ✔ Poetry or Essay Collection - The Apple that Astonished Paris*,
N5: Asian Classic - The Book of Tea, Thousand Cranes,

G1: Winner of a Foreign Literary Prize - The Sea, Mad Enchantment: Claude Monet and the Painting of the Water Lilies,
G2: ✔ Classic By a Female Author - Adam Bede* Lady Audley's Secret,
G3: Classic Non-fiction - A Lady's Life in the Rocky Mountains,
G4: ✔ Written by Nobel Laureate - The Half-Finished Heaven*,
G5: Book from the Group's 2019 Bookshelf - The Pillars of the Earth, The Magic Shop,

O1: ✔ 19th Century Classic - The Hunchback of Notre Dame*,
O2: ✔ Classic Sci-fi or Fantasy - The Golden Compass
O3: ✔ Classic Comedy or Satire - The Warden,
O4: ✔ Classic Romance - The Grand Sophy*, The Romance of the Forest: A Gothic Novel,
O5: 21st Century Potential Classic - Where the Crawdads Sing, Nine Perfect Strangers,

message 3: by Susie (last edited Dec 28, 2018 10:29AM) (new)

Susie | 731 comments Just in case!

message 4: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2336 comments This looks like a pretty open plan, Susie. Got any ideas yet? :)

message 5: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9189 comments Mod
Hooray that you are in!

message 6: by Susie (new)

Susie | 731 comments Terris wrote: "This looks like a pretty open plan, Susie. Got any ideas yet? :)"

I was without internet (horror of horrors!) for several days and just saw the post last night. So excited I had to at least start my thread! 😊

Give me a few days 😉

message 7: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2336 comments No rush! The planning is part of the fun. Enjoy and luxuriate in it ;)

message 8: by Susie (new)

Susie | 731 comments Yes...I love this part!

message 9: by MJ (new)

MJ | 180 comments I love the planning and book browsing!! It gets me so excited to "start over" in January!

message 10: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2357 comments Looking forward to your choices Susie :)

message 11: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4779 comments Mod
I like your selections. I'm checking out other peoples choices for N-5 and the award squares. I need all the help I can get. It should prove to be a good year, enjoy.

message 12: by Angie (new)

Angie | 522 comments I want to read A Thousand Cranes this year, as well. Actually, you have quite a few I want to read. Great list.

message 13: by Susie (new)

Susie | 731 comments Just working on it now...I like to have ideas for most of the categories and then see what moves me at any given time to read!
Looks like Thousand Cranes might be on a few peoples' lists.

I am awful at Asian Classics and the South American ones so hopefully I can get one read in 2019!

message 14: by Renee (new)

Renee | 864 comments Great list! Thousand Cranes sounds really interesting, and just got added to my TBR. Not sure if I'll use it for Bingo or not, but now I want to read it. Darn challenges always make me add so many new (to me) books. Hope you have fun reading them all!

Shirley (stampartiste) | 600 comments Great choices, Susie! I haven't started yet, but you have quite a few that I've been mulling over too. Good luck in 2019!

message 16: by Susie (last edited Dec 23, 2018 04:50PM) (new)

Susie | 731 comments Thanks for all the comments and encouragement everyone...
I think I'm ready!! 🤗👍👊

message 17: by Aubrey (last edited Dec 23, 2018 07:05PM) (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2357 comments Angie wrote: "I want to read A Thousand Cranes this year, as well. Actually, you have quite a few I want to read. Great list."

Ha ha, I'm also reading TC for the bingo as well as the old and new, although I have it down for the Nobel in Lit slot. It'll be my third Kawabata, and he's been fairly decent so far.

And Susie, you're another one with Undset down for reading! Nice.

message 18: by Susie (last edited Jan 06, 2019 03:42PM) (new)

Susie | 731 comments 1. The Lifted Veil for my I5 square - on my shelf for 1+ year. I gave it 4 stars.

Weird story but George Eliot's writing continues to amaze me! This is a dark and harrowing, sort of stream of consciousness, yet grabbed me at a visceral level. She puts me at a loss for words!
1st finished read of the year and hits my 3 challenges...Bingo, Old & New and celebration of George Eliot...

Off and running!

message 19: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

One square filled; nice work.

message 20: by Susie (new)

Susie | 731 comments 2. The Grand Sophy 1/31/19 ⭐⭐⭐⭐1/2 stars.
An easy, fun read that could have gone in many squares, but it definitely fits the Classic Romance spot!

message 21: by Milena (new)

Milena (milenas) | 458 comments Susie wrote: "2. The Grand Sophy 1/31/19 ⭐⭐⭐⭐1/2 stars.
An easy, fun read that could have gone in many squares, but it definitely fits the Classic Romance spot!"

That's what I am planning to read for that spot. Good to hear!

message 22: by Susie (new)

Susie | 731 comments It was a hold over that I didn't get to last year, so it was nice to fill a square with it this year...hope you enjoy it!

message 23: by Susie (new)

Susie | 731 comments 3. The Pillars of the Earth. I finished over a month ago and forgot to update! I gave if 5 stars and really like liked it! The story was so sweeping, yet the author was fantasic in keeping all the threads connected and relavent. I used it for my B5 square...a true Classic imo...

4. Much Ado About Nothing. I finished last week and am using it for my Classic Play square. I enjoyed this one but found it quite confusing to follow all the varying subplots. I had to listen and read each act a few times to get what was going on! Did others find this? I'm left wondering if I missed a lot in other plays or is it this one?

message 24: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3580 comments You're doing great on your challenge, Susie.

I read Much Ado About Nothing after watching the 1993 film with Kenneth Branagh and Emma Thompson, which made it easier to follow. I think for me, it would take many re-reads to get everything that's going on in Shakespeare plays!

message 25: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4779 comments Mod
I too used Much Ado for my Classic Play square, and also gave Pillars 5 stars. I have enjoyed all of Follett's I've read so far, and will never be a big fan of Shakespeare, but I have like a few.

message 26: by Susie (new)

Susie | 731 comments 5. The Half-Finished Heaven by Tomas Tranströmer. I used this for my Nobel Laureate square, even though it would fit the poetry square also.
I got a recommend on this author from here a few years ago and in my effort to broaden my reading, I finally got to it. As far as poetry goes it is not what I would normally be drawn to. Many poems are set in more of a gritty, industrial backdrop and while seemingly mundane, still carry meaning.

6. The Hunchback of Notre Dame I used this for my O1 square - 19th century classic. I finally decided on 3 stars.
This took me much longer than I expected to read and I have mixed feelings about it. There were parts that I loved and then parts that were hard to follow and I wondered what they added to the story. The story line in and of itself was wonderful. I admit I was pulled to finish it after Notre Dame burned last week and I found myself viserally moved by it...just heartbroken...

message 27: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4779 comments Mod
I still need both poetry and Nobel squares, thanks for giving me another to consider.

message 28: by Susie (last edited Jun 06, 2019 02:08PM) (new)

Susie | 731 comments 7. The Bridge of San Luis Rey 4/24/19 ⭐⭐⭐⭐
For my N1 square, South American Classic.
It is a seemingly simple story about 5 people who die when a very old bridge collapses in 1700's Peru. A Franciscan monk delves into each of the people killed looking for meaning and relavance about their deaths and their lives.
I liked it...not earth shattering, but solid read.

8. Adam Bede 5/30/19 ⭐⭐⭐⭐
I used this for my G2 square, Classic by a female author. It also counts for my second George Eliot read Challenge.
This was her first novel and that is impressive. If you like her writing you'll like this one! Definitely her style and development, as well as her depth of characters always amazes me.
A few parts got a little tedious, but it is in pursuit of trying to transport us into the story she is writing.
Doesn't match Middlemarch for me, but still worthwhile read.

message 29: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

Lynn (lynnsreads) | 2799 comments Mod
Congratulations! Great selections, and you didn't shy away from the longer reads!

message 30: by Susie (last edited Jun 06, 2019 06:37PM) (new)

Susie | 731 comments I make sure to put in plenty of short(er) ones to make up for them, but thanks!

message 31: by Susie (new)

Susie | 731 comments 9. The Hound of the Baskervilles. I liked this one alot...creepy! I gave it 4 stars and used it for my B4 square, the Telegraph 100 list.

10. The Mueller Report Finished 6/19/19 and thought I would throw it in my free square just to fill things out.😉
Very interesting, informative, and even scary read. I gave it 5 stars.

11. The Prince. Finished 6/28/19 and gave it 4 stars. Headed to Florence next summer (yay!) so when this was up for a group read last month, I jumped in. I'm using it for my B1 square, 18th Century or Earlier. I may reassign it later but it lands here for now.
I enjoyed this read though I re-listened to many parts just to get a fuller grasp. Didn't occur to me but also very interesting to read during and after I finished the Mueller Report

12. A Room with a View. Finished 7/21/19 and gave it 4 stars. Using it for my I1 square, prior bookshelf read.
I enjoyed this too. Read in part because it's been on tbr shelf for awhile and as I mentioned above, because Florence.😊

message 32: by Susie (last edited Oct 08, 2019 11:56AM) (new)

Susie | 731 comments 13. Silas Marner 8/15/19 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
This will be my 4th George Eliot read and I loved it! 5 stars! It is 2cd to Middlemarch which is still my favorite, but this one comes close!
I love how she writes and the pictures she 'paints' in my head are so wonderful!

14. The Apple that Astonished Paris 9/7/19 ⭐⭐⭐
Stretching my brain to just let the words flow over me instead of trying 'to beat the meaning out of them with a garden hose' as the author writes in one of his poems.
Some grabbed me, some didn't...

15. The Voyage Out Illustrated edition
The Voyage Out Illustrated edition  by Virginia Woolf
10/8/19 ⭐⭐⭐⭐ For my 'Chosen for the cover' square, B2.
Always a challenge for me but I found this one of the easier Virginia Wolff books to read and follow. Note I said 'easier', not easy!
It is a very deep dive into people's inner most thoughts and feelings in 'real time' as the story plays out across the ocean and into South America. Definitely some dark parts and I'm still pondering the ending.
Not sure what to think...

I do know I finally have my first BINGO!!

message 33: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3580 comments You've read some great books! I appreciate hearing about your George Eliot reads--I'm reading Adam Bede now, and am glad to hear how much you liked Silas Marner. Congratulations on bingo!!

message 34: by Susie (new)

Susie | 731 comments Adam Bede is good, but was a little 'darker' for me. Hope you like it!

My first bingo always takes forever, it seems! 😁

message 35: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Well congrats on the Bingo!

message 36: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4779 comments Mod
Silas Marner is one of the reasons I read classics, it was outstanding, 5 stars!!

message 37: by Susie (last edited Nov 11, 2019 11:37AM) (new)

Susie | 731 comments 16. The Golden Compass for my O2 square, Fantasy or sci-fi. Not really my genre, but I liked this one and gave it 4 stars. Didn't hurt that there has been a lot of hype for the made-for-tv series!
Actually it is a great story with fantabulous characters, especially the beloved daemons. Lots of adventure and crazy stuff but many life lessons are woven throughout the story.
It is first in a series so I'll be ready the next time this square shows up on the Bingo Challenge!

17. Brother Jacob by George Eliot for my N2 -shory story square.
I gave it only 2 stars and definitely my least favorite Eliot work to date. Glad it was short because she is one of my favorites!
Just an odd story all the way around, even creepy in parts.
Did I miss something?

18. The Warden for my 03 square, Comedy or Satire. I gave it 4 stars.
It is first in a series by Anthony Trollope and I enjoyed the storytelling,even if a bit 'dry' in places. I enjoyed the portrayal of how downright silly certain things were in that time, and yet the tremendous weight given them in those times.

Coming down to crunch time so some of my selections are getting shorter! 😉

message 38: by Susie (new)

Susie | 731 comments Last bingo square for me is I4, and I read The Age of Innocence. I gave it 4 stars.
It was an intense, but enjoyable read. Wharton's writing pulls you right in and kept me a little on edge the entire book. The ending took me by surprise, but after some reflection, it was perfect.

And a 2cd bingo!

Happy New Year everyone!

message 39: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

Lynn (lynnsreads) | 2799 comments Mod
Susie wrote: "Last bingo square for me is I4, and I read The Age of Innocence. I gave it 4 stars.
It was an intense, but enjoyable read. Wharton's writing pulls you right in and kept me a little ..."

Congratulations on your second Bingo! I agree that Wharton's writing is amazing.