Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Cover Help > Acceptable book cover sources?

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann | 26 comments Hi,

A newbie to this group, so apologies for any and all mistakes. Feel free to educate me :-)

I have added a book in the past (as a punter, not a Librarian) and the cover I tried to upload didn't stick. I now presume that I didn't have an acceptable source.

I have read the sources list, but it doesn't mention book review websites. I have found the correct details and cover on the Publishers Weekly website. Is this an acceptable cover source?

If so, the book with a generic Goodreads cover is at:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...

and the Publishers Weekly site page that includes the correct cover is at:

https://www.publishersweekly.com/978-...

Thanks,

Ann

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41982 comments Mod
Ann wrote: "I have read the sources list, but it doesn't mention book review websites. I have found the correct details and cover on the Publishers Weekly website. Is this an acceptable cover source?"

No, book review sites are not sources we can use for book covers or other data.

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann | 26 comments Thanks.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6585 comments Do you have a copy?

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann | 26 comments If I find a suitable source, how should I best link the cover picture?

I have a desktop software programme for my personal library and I often need to download the correct cover and add it to my book database. I use the 'save image as' option to my desktop and then add the picture that way.

For adding an image to Goodreads, to preserve the source (i.e. the publishers website) so that it is acceptable, what is the best option to use?

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann | 26 comments #4 Yes, Elizabeth (Alaska)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6585 comments Ann wrote: "#4 Yes, Elizabeth (Alaska)"

Scan the cover (or take a picture) and upload to your profile. We can get it from there and when added to the book you can delete from your profile.

Also, please verify the ISBN.

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann | 26 comments OK. Thanks, Elizabeth.

Is this an appropriate place to indicate that I have a picture/scan and book to be married, or is there a better place.

And if this is the correct discussion, I presume I make a new thread to simplify things?

message 9: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Dec 04, 2018 06:00PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6585 comments You can just continue posting here about this issue.

message 10: by Ann (new)

Ann | 26 comments I have added a photo of the book cover to my profile.
The generic Goodreads cover to be replaced is at:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...

However, the book seems to have been republished with the same ISBN number in 2015 by Polis Books, but with a different page count and a different cover.

Let me know is I have not included enough details. Thanks.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6585 comments I still need the ISBN. We can cross-reference them.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6585 comments Nevermind. I forgot you had the link in post #1, and I can do it from there.

message 14: by Ann (new)

Ann | 26 comments Hi Elizabeth,

Excellent. Thanks for that!

I notice that it is an 'alternate cover' I presume that is because of the same ISBN. I gather that as a punter, I should in future, add my version as a new edition, and then request, via this group, the cover be added.

I will slowly glean enough knowledge to not trouble this group with questions you have all answered multiple times before :-)

Ann

message 15: by Ann (new)

Ann | 26 comments Also, is there an answer to my question #5 regarding the best way to link/upload covers from publishers or authors websites?

message 16: by Emily (last edited Dec 04, 2018 08:17PM) (new)

Emily | 13164 comments Ann wrote: "
I will slowly glean enough knowledge to not trouble this group with questions you have all answered multiple times before :-)"

Librarians would much rather answer questions than go back and fix things when they have been done incorrectly (often because someone did not ask)!
Thanks for being thorough.

message 17: by Ann (new)

Ann | 26 comments Noted... that's a relief because I've always been happy to ask, but suspect get it that it can be tiresome...

message 18: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41982 comments Mod
Ann wrote: "Also, is there an answer to my question #5 regarding the best way to link/upload covers from publishers or authors websites?"

A simple link to the page where the cover can be found is best. Please link to the full book page, so we can check the ISBN (or ASIN), not just to the cover image.

message 19: by Ann (new)

Ann | 26 comments Brilliant. Will do.