Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2019 Old & New Classic Challenge > Lexi's 2019 Old and New Classics

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lexi (last edited Jul 23, 2019 07:44PM) (new)

Lexi I only made six in 2018 and did not do so great this year. I, however, read quite a few "classics" that were not on this list so maybe I am just bad at planning this far ahead. A few of these are on their third year of not being read (Brothers K) but I will keep trying (6/12).

Old School: (1/3)
1. Far From the Madding Crowd
2. Sense and Sensibility - 1/17-***
3. The Brothers Karamazov

New School: (1/3)
1. The Sound and the Fury
2. The Sea-Hawk - 6/16-***
3. The Grapes of Wrath

Others: (3/6)
1. Maurice
2. The Metamorphosis - 1/1 -****
3. Their Eyes Were Watching God - 1/13-****
4. The Plague
5. Slaughterhouse-Five - 3/11-***
6. Pale Fire

Alternate (classic SF): (1/2)
1. Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea
2. Dune - 7/24-***

message 2: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2616 comments I'm like you! I also did not finish this challenge (so far!) in 2018, only finished 9/14. So they go on to next year's list. I don't see a problem with that ;)
Also, looking at your list (very nice, BTW) I noticed Maurice, which I had not heard of before. It looks interesting! And I enjoy E.M. Forster, so I'm adding it to my TBR!
Thanks for bringing it to my attention :)

message 3: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 852 comments Two of my all time favorites are on your list. The Grapes of Wrath and Their Eyes Were Watching God are so good. Hope you enjoy all these books.

message 4: by April (new)

April Munday | 277 comments Their Eyes Were Watching God is on my list for next year. It's been on my shelf for so long that I've forgotten what I was expecting from it when I bought it.

message 5: by Lexi (new)

Lexi Started out with The Metamorphosis for the new year. It is tiny but I had never read it. It was lots of fun, poor cockroach.

message 6: by Renee (new)

Renee | 864 comments Good luck with your challenge! I hope you enjoy them all :)

message 7: by Lexi (new)

Lexi Janet wrote: "Two of my all time favorites are on your list. The Grapes of Wrath and Their Eyes Were Watching God are so good. Hope you enjoy all these books."

I really enjoyed Their Eyes Were Watching God and am off to a good start this year with two of my shorter ones done.

message 8: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1574 comments Their Eyes were Watching God is a very moving book.
Congrats on your progress so far. I really enjoyed Maurice, so I hope you do as well.

message 9: by Ila (new)

Ila | 399 comments Congrats on your reading. The Metamorphosis is one of my favourites as well.

message 10: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4959 comments Mod
I have Their Eyes were Watching God on my bookshelf. I just never pick it up. Based on your 4 stars, I may need to fix that situation, soon

message 11: by Petra (new)

Petra Lexi, good start on the challenge!

message 12: by Lexi (new)

Lexi Another one done but I did not really enjoy Sense and Sensibility. I found it dragged and found the ending with Marianna a little improbable and had issues with her being sixteen at the start.

message 13: by Lexi (last edited Mar 03, 2019 09:16PM) (new)

Lexi Not one I put on my list but I really enjoyed Cannery Row (4 stars 3/2/19).

message 14: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9558 comments Mod
Lexi wrote: "Not one I put on my list my I really enjoyed Cannery Row (4 stars 3/2/19)."

Not one that has been on my radar before now either. Thanks for the recommendation -- 4 stars is a recommend to me.

message 15: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3218 comments Lexi wrote: "Not one I put on my list but I really enjoyed Cannery Row (4 stars 3/2/19)."

I loved Cannery Row. I love Steinbeck's writing so much. He's one of my favorites. Your list is great!

message 16: by Lexi (new)

Lexi Not quite a classic but I think more people should read this book. Shipwrecks by Akira Yoshimura is a beautiful, haunting book and one of a few 5 stars, I have given this year.

message 17: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2616 comments Sue wrote: "Lexi wrote: "Not one I put on my list but I really enjoyed Cannery Row (4 stars 3/2/19)."

I loved Cannery Row. I love Steinbeck's writing so much. He's one of my favorites. Your list i..."

Me too! One of my very favorite writers!!

message 18: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4959 comments Mod
Lexi wrote: "Not quite a classic but I think more people should read this book. Shipwrecks by Akira Yoshimura is a beautiful, haunting book and one of a few 5 stars, I have given t..."

Sounds really good and I just have to learn what the "cargo" is, thanks!

message 19: by Lexi (new)

Lexi The Sea-Hawk was interesting and a fast read but very dated in its representation of people and faiths and sexist. I am going to try to read Dune next.

message 20: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4959 comments Mod
Dune is one of those books that had known about for years, but never picked it up. When I finally did I was pleased at how much I liked it. I even followed it up with Dune Messiah, which I also enjoyed.

message 21: by Lexi (new)

Lexi I like the story but parts of it have not aged well, such as the treatment of women, the someone condescending treatment of the Fremen, considering the Arab characteristics given to them and very clear white savior plot lines.

message 22: by Lexi (new)

Lexi I will likely get one more this year and then end up the same as last year with 50%. I am not very good at planning a full year in advanced so I may try a different challenge next year.