The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP: Winter Challenge 2018 > 25.4 - Diana K's Task: Happy 200th Illinois

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited Dec 12, 2018 01:11PM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 4543 comments Mod
25.4 - Diana K's Task: Happy 200th Illinois

On December 3, 1818, Illinois became the 21st state to join the United States. This task celebrates the 200th birthday of the state where I was born and raised, went to college and grad school, got married, gave birth to my oldest son, and lived for more than half of my life.

This is a two book task. Choose 2 different options and a read a book from each. REQUIRED: State the options you chose.

Opt 1. Read a novel (fiction) set at least 50% in Illinois. REQUIRED: If it is not apparent from the description or metadata, please provide a reference for the setting.

Opt 2. The state slogan is Land of Lincoln in honor of the 16th President of the United States who rose to prominence while living in Illinois. Read a book that contains all the letters in LAND OF LINCOLN in the title/subtitle.

Opt 3. Many famous authors have come from Illinois including Ernest Hemingway, Carl Sandburg Jean Auel, Michael Crichton, Ray Bradbury, Raymond Chandler, and Lorraine Hansbury. Read a book by an author born or currently living in Illinois. REQUIRED: If it is not apparent from the author's GR biography, please provide a reference for the author’s birthplace/current location.

Opt 4. Illinois is a leading producer of soybeans, corn and swine. Read a book that has the word corn, soybean, swine or its equivalents, pig or hog, found intact in the title, subtitle, or series name. For example, Pigs in Heaven, Pop Goes the Murder, The Corn Maiden and Other Nightmares.

Opt 5. Due to its location in the middle of the country and the size of Chicago, its major city, Illinois is a transportation hub with the largest and most active rail hub, the most primary interstate highways passing through it, and one of the busiest airports in the country. Read a book with a picture of a paved road, train tracks, or an airport on the cover such as Airport by Arthur Hailey , Night Road by Kristin Hannah , On the Road by Jack Kerouac , The Girl From the Train by Irma Joubert . REQUIRED: Include the cover when you post.

NOTE: For an airport, there must be something showing in the picture like part of a runway or an airport building. A picture of a plane will not work unless something indicating an airport is present.

message 2: by Diana (new)

Diana Keener | 799 comments Saved

message 3: by Diana (new)

Diana Keener | 799 comments Saved.

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 4543 comments Mod
This thread is now open.

Stephanie (Librarianish) Davidson | 478 comments Yay Illinois!! I like this task!!

message 6: by KSMary (new)

KSMary | 802 comments Opt 3 Carol Anshaw - her GR bio is vague but this website lists her as a resident of Chicago: http://www.illinoisauthors.org/cgi-bi...

Is this good enough verification of residence?

message 7: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 940 comments https://images.gr-assets.com/books/13...

would this cover work for "road"

message 8: by Diana (new)

Diana Keener | 799 comments KSMary wrote: "Opt 3 Carol Anshaw - her GR bio is vague but this website lists her as a resident of Chicago: http://www.illinoisauthors.org/cgi-bi...

Is this good enou..."

Yes, that’s fine.

message 9: by Diana (new)

Diana Keener | 799 comments Joanne wrote: "https://images.gr-assets.com/books/13...

would this cover work for "road""

It was a bit hard at first to see whether it was a road or just a pedestrian way but I do see a car in the background. It works.

message 10: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) Will you count a bridge as a road, since it is still a road (just going over a body of water)? Thanks!
Number 11 by Jonathan Coe

message 11: by Diana (new)

Diana Keener | 799 comments Yes.

message 12: by Elaine (new)

Elaine | 505 comments Wanted to check to see if Witness on the Run works for a road. It is hard to see but hopefully the tractor trailer indicates the road is there...

Witness on the Run by Susan Cliff

message 13: by Emily (new)

Emily | 659 comments Would you consider this to be a road?

Black Dove, White Raven by Elizabeth E. Wein

message 14: by Diana (new)

Diana Keener | 799 comments Elaine wrote: "Wanted to check to see if Witness on the Run works for a road. It is hard to see but hopefully the tractor trailer indicates the road is there...

[bookcover:Witness on the Run|4119..."

It's tough to see but I think it's a road.

message 15: by Elaine (new)

Elaine | 505 comments Diana wrote: "Elaine wrote: "Wanted to check to see if Witness on the Run works for a road. It is hard to see but hopefully the tractor trailer indicates the road is there...

[bookcover:Witness ..."

Thanks!!

message 16: by Diana (new)

Diana Keener | 799 comments Boston Kate wrote: "Would you consider this to be a road?

Black Dove, White Raven by Elizabeth E. Wein"

Sorry, I'm refining the task to say the road must be paved. I hope you can use this book elsewhere.

message 17: by Emily (new)

Emily | 659 comments Diana wrote: "Boston Kate wrote: "Would you consider this to be a road?

Black Dove, White Raven by Elizabeth E. Wein"

Sorry, I'm refining the task to say the road must be paved. I hope you can use this book el..."

No problem, that's why I wanted to clarify!

message 18: by Erin (NY) (new)

Erin (NY) (erin_p) | 629 comments Does this look like a road?
I Was Here by Gayle Forman

message 19: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1690 comments Would you accept this cover for train tracks?

The Great Train Robbery / The Andromeda Strain by Michael Crichton

message 20: by Diana (new)

Diana Keener | 799 comments Erin (NY) wrote: "Does this look like a road?
I Was Here by Gayle Forman"

It's a bit tough to tell for sure but I will accept it.

message 21: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1690 comments I think you missed my post --Post #19

message 22: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2077 comments Would you accept Missing Person by Patrick Modiano for a road?

message 23: by Diana (new)

Diana Keener | 799 comments Wanda wrote: "I think you missed my post --Post #19"

I was away from my computer and could only bring up the picture on my phone. Even enlarged on the computer now, I can't actually see any tracks but I found another edition on Amazon that does show tracks so I will accept it.

message 24: by Diana (new)

Diana Keener | 799 comments Coralie wrote: "Would you accept Missing Person by Patrick Modiano for a road?"

Yes, that works.

message 25: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1690 comments Diana wrote: "Wanda wrote: "I think you missed my post --Post #19"

I was away from my computer and could only bring up the picture on my phone. Even enlarged on the computer now, I can't actually see any tracks..."

Thank You

message 26: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15888 comments Mod
Diana wrote: "Wanda wrote: "I found another edition on Amazon that does show tracks so I will accept it. ."

Moderator note: Please keep in mind that acceptability for a task is determined by the edition you actually read, not by other editions.

message 27: by Wanda (last edited Jan 03, 2019 09:26AM) (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1690 comments Not to worry, I will just switch The Great Train Robberyto Option 3 as Michael Crichton is an Illinois author. All Good!

message 28: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1110 comments Hi,

Does this work for paved road? It's a night shot with a long exposure to get the streaking lights.

Shadow Man

message 29: by Diana (new)

Diana Keener | 799 comments Yes.

message 30: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments It's a bit difficult to see because of the green shading, but it seems clear enough to me that there is a grey paved road underneath the car? Envious Casca (Inspectors Hannasyde & Hemingway #6) by Georgette Heyer

message 31: by Diana (new)

Diana Keener | 799 comments I don't see it under the car but I do see the winding road in the background.

message 32: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Diana wrote: "I don't see it under the car but I do see the winding road in the background."

Im pretty sure thats a river. I puzzled over it a bit because i didnt see how grey tarmac in the foreground was white in the background.

message 33: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2476 comments Middle England by Jonathan Coe

on the off chance does this work for a road

message 34: by Diana (new)

Diana Keener | 799 comments Yes

message 35: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3669 comments Does this work for Option 5 - ROAD on cover?

I Was Anastasia by Ariel Lawhon

message 36: by Diana (new)

Diana Keener | 799 comments It doesn't look like it's paved.

message 37: by Kaora (new)

Kaora (ophelja) | 1144 comments Witches of Lychford (Lychford, #1) by Paul Cornell

does this count as a road? If you look carefully you can see the dashed lines in the middle so it must be paved.

message 38: by Kathy (last edited Feb 23, 2019 06:46PM) (new)

Kathy | 814 comments Checking to see if this cover adequately shows a road...
The Saint of Wolves and Butchers
The Saint of Wolves and Butchers by Alex Grecian

message 39: by Diana (new)

Diana Keener | 799 comments Hard to see if it's paved but it looks like it works.