Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2019 Quest for Women Authors > Marilyn's 2019 Century of Women Authors Plus One

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marilyn (last edited Jan 17, 2020 09:44AM) (new)

Marilyn | 767 comments 10/10 plus 0/1

I chose books with less than 5000 ratings, some geographical diversity (more than 50% non-US) and a few WOC.

✔︎1890: The Blood of the Vampire by Florence Marryat 2.5 stars
✔︎1900: Fraulein Schmidt and Mr Anstruther by Elizabeth von Arnim 3 stars
✔︎1910: Fidelity by Susan Glaspell 4 stars
✔︎1920: The Crowded Street by Winifred Holtby 3 stars
✔︎1930: Years of Grace by Margaret Ayer Barnes (Pulitzer Prize) 3 stars
✔︎1940: Strange Fruit by Lillian E. Smith 4 stars
✔︎1950: Bunny Lake is Missing by Evelyn Piper 3 stars
✔︎1960: The Wall by Marlen Haushofer 4 stars
✔︎1970: Requiem by Shizuko Gō 4 stars
✔︎1980: The Ship of Widows by I. Grekova 2.5 stars

Plus one:
1990:Zenzele: A Letter for My Daughter by J. Nozipo Maraire

✔︎ as completed

message 2: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 767 comments Reserved

message 3: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2592 comments Nice choices, Marilyn. KL is an absolute favorite of mine, 'The Street' and 'The Wall' are five stars, and 'Requiem' is a solid four star.

message 4: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3937 comments I love your plan, Marilyn. I'm hoping to finally get to book two of KL too next year, and The Street is on the top of my 2009 list. The Ship of Widows sounds like something I'd love, I've been wanting to read Years of Grace, and I'd read anything by Elizabeth von Arnim. Looking forward to your thoughts!

message 5: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1574 comments The Wall is a very interesting choice, with an unusual plot. I thought it was fascinating.

message 6: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 69 comments Nice list. I loved ‘The Wall’ as well, and am always glad to see others read it. Hope you’ll enjoy the challenge!

message 7: by Marilyn (last edited Dec 11, 2018 08:32PM) (new)

Marilyn | 767 comments Thanks for the encouragement everyone, especially with The Wall. It's not my usual genre, which is sort of the point.

message 8: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4959 comments Mod
I recently read two versions of the same story written by Susan Glaspell. One version is a short story A Jury of Her Peers and the other is Trifles, a play. With the number of challenges that I’ve seen listing The Street as a selected read I was surprised it didn’t do better in the new school nominations. Other than that, sometime this year I may have to find out if they find Bunny Lake. Enjoy!

message 9: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 767 comments Bob wrote: "I recently read two versions of the same story written by Susan Glaspell. One version is a short story A Jury of Her Peers and the other is Trifles, a play. With the number of challenges that I’ve ..."

I'm concerned about Bunny so I plan to read her early in the year.

message 10: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 767 comments Finished Bunny Lake is Missing. Reissued by the Feminist Press of CUNY so I admit to having a certain mindset starting the book.

Blanche Lake goes to pick up her daughter Bunny after her first day at nursery school. Bunny isn't there. No one reports seeing her all day. Police are called. Halfway through the book we find out the police aren't looking for Bunny because they believe that Blanche is insane and Bunny is imaginary. (Shakes fist at the patriarchy!)

The middle part of the story presents much evidence and lack of evidence that muddies the water. (Wavers on reality versus imaginary.)

Suspect appears: an unstable 48 years old woman diagnosed with menopause psychosis. (Rolls eyes at the patriarchy.)

There is a male psychiatrist running around in the story and don't get me started on him.

In the end, Bunny Lake (view spoiler)

This book is not a classic but it is good at what it is - pulp fiction. 3 stars.

message 11: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Sounds like a good book! :)

message 12: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 767 comments Finished Requiem. It was a short book with a very intense story. 4 stars

message 13: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 767 comments Years of Grace. Another mediocre Pulitzer book checked off the list.

message 14: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 767 comments Since this is Women's History Month I intended to read all women authors. So far I have read 3 novels and a short story - all by male authors. Today I am going to get back on track and start The Ship of Widows.

message 15: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 767 comments Finished Fidelity by Susan Glaspell. 4 stars.

At the halfway point in the year I have seven books read. In January I thought that I would be done by March but those plans never pan out.

Next: The Wall. I checked it out from the library so it has a due date. That usually pushes me to get it done.

message 16: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2592 comments Marilyn wrote: "Finished Fidelity by Susan Glaspell. 4 stars.

At the halfway point in the year I have seven books read. In January I thought that I would be done by March but those p..."

I look forward to your thoughts on 'The Wall', Marilyn. That book is magnificent.

message 17: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 767 comments I finished The Wall in July. A woman who is high on a mountain wakes up to find herself cut off from the world below by a wall. I was surprised at how a journal about a woman, a dog, some cats and a milk cow trying to survive could be so good. After thinking about it I decided it was because the story wasn't about the wall. It explores being human when you are the only one, human connections to other living things, human connections to nature. I gave it a solid 4 stars.

message 18: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 1656 comments Marilyn wrote: "I finished The Wall in July. A woman who is high on a mountain wakes up to find herself cut off from the world below by a wall. I was surprised at how a journal about a woman, a dog, ..."

I am glad to see your good rating. This is one I have been wanting to read.

message 19: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4959 comments Mod
Marilyn wrote: "I finished The Wall in July. A woman who is high on a mountain wakes up to find herself cut off from the world below by a wall. I was surprised at how a journal about a woman, a dog, ..."

I'm glad to learn of this book, it sounds really interesting, chalk up another want to read added to the list.

message 20: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 767 comments Finished Fraulein Schmidt and Mr Anstruther. Gave the book 3 stars and Fraulein Schmidt 4 stars. I liked her. She was very opinionated, which she expressed whether she was asked or not.

message 21: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4959 comments Mod
Only one left, congrats!

message 22: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3217 comments Congratulations on another one finished Marilyn. I have to get back to this challenge.

message 23: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 767 comments Thanks, Bob and Sue! At the start of the year Blood of the Vampire was the book that I was most excited to read. Somehow it is last on the list. Hopefully that means a big finish!

message 24: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9558 comments Mod
Wow, Marilyn - you've got this challenge!

message 25: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1574 comments Congrats on your progress so far!