The Murderbot Diaries discussion

Goodreads Choice

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vincent (new)

Vincent (palerghosts) | 12 comments Mod
I'm really ticked off that Murderbot did not win. However, I'm more ticked off that they pit actual graphic novels against "webcomics" in book form. They're two entirely different mediums and cannot be compared!

Not that I have anything against either of the winners in those categories. I am just vexed. Heh.

message 2: by Gillian (last edited Dec 07, 2018 11:55AM) (new)

Gillian Wiseman (gillianwiseman) | 14 comments Yeah, I tend to agree. I was on the Maverick Committee (Texas State Library Graphic Novel Selection List) for three years, and I really think that we need to stop judging GNs AS GN's and categorize them WITH other books of their subject type. Ie Fiction, Nonfiction, Biography, etc...

If we did that, then webcomics would be classified as non-fiction serial art, and fiction GNs would be classified as fiction (of the appropriate genre). Much more satisfying.

message 3: by Vincent (new)

Vincent (palerghosts) | 12 comments Mod
Yes! I'm sure the winner's book was fine, I've seen her comics and they're cute. But Saga is an entire compelling story with interesting characters and really beautiful art, far more like a novel than a comic strip. I don't think they should be forced to compete because they're so different. Obviously I'm a fan of Saga, but I'd feel the same way about any similar graphic novel vs. a comic strip. I totally agree with your idea.