What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Chasm
This topic is about Chasm
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Late 90s Early 00s British horror author, All the books had black covers with stylized images in patterns on the covers in primary colors. One book had blue images, the other red, the other yellow, etc. [s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joe (last edited Dec 07, 2018 12:09AM) (new)

Joe Smith | 20 comments Back in the late 90s or early 2000s I remember seeing the works of a British horror author on the shelves at Chapters Books in Canada.

The paperbacks were British imports. All the books had black covers with stylized images in patterns on the covers in primary colors. One book had blue images, the other red, the other yellow, etc.

I remember one book was about an English village that had been transported into an alternate dimension. I THINK the author's name started with a letter before 'L' but I am not 100% sure.

message 2: by Kris (last edited Dec 06, 2018 08:36PM) (new)

Kris | 35128 comments Mod
Joe, is each book a novel or collection of short stories? If they're short stories, what are the common themes? For older adults or teens (young adults)?

Who are the main characters (e.g., human killers, ghosts, monsters, vampires (e.g., Necroscope series by Brian Lumley))?

What kind of images appear on the covers? How many books in the series?

message 3: by Joe (new)

Joe Smith | 20 comments Kris wrote: "Joe, is each book a novel or collection of short stories? If they're short stories, what are the common themes? For older adults or teens (young adults)?

Who are the main characters (e.g., human k..."

Thank you for responding, Kris!

Each book seemed to be an independent novel. There were no connections other than the author. They were mainstream horror novels aimed at adults. There were at least 5 or 6 books. I suppose one or more may have been a story collection, but I think they were all full novels.

I only recall the plot of one of them. An English village had been sent into an alternate dimension and very strange things were happening there.

The books seemed to be more subtle and cerebral than many horror novels of the time. These were not gory slasher fests like Richard Laymon books. More like Ramsay Campbell, but perhaps more fantasy involved in the horror than his works. (Not unicorns and elves fantasy; alternate worlds and supernatural elements as opposed to psychological horror.)

The images were related to the contents of the books. One book had images of bugs, one had images of buildings, etc. The images were monochrome line drawings arranged in patterns in the same color as the fonts. One book had red, one green, one yellow, etc. The backgrounds of all the books were black.

message 4: by Joe (new)

Joe Smith | 20 comments Self-solved by scanning eBay UK's Horror novels for familiar covers. The author is Stephen Laws and the book I remembered about the English village is called Chasm.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

The cover is a little different from how I remembered it, but I recognized it instantly.

message 5: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35128 comments Mod
Great. Thanks for the update, Joe.

unread topics | mark unread

Authors mentioned in this topic

Brian Lumley (other topics)