Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2019 Old & New Classic Challenge > Marilyn's 2019 Old & New Guardian Crime Classics

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marilyn (last edited Nov 22, 2019 09:05AM) (new)

Marilyn | 720 comments Read 12/14
From the Guardian 1000 books everyone must read: Crime

Old School
1. Thérèse Raquin by Émile Zola (1867)
✔︎2. A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle (1887) 3 stars
✔︎3. The Sign of Four by Arthur Conan Doyle (1890) 3 stars

New School
✔︎1. The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie (1920) 4 stars
✔︎2. The Talented Mr. Ripley by Patricia Highsmith (1955) 4 stars
✔︎3. A Dark-Adapted Eye by Barbara Vine (1986) 4 stars

Wild Cards
✔︎1. The 39 Steps by John Buchan (1915) 3 stars
✔︎2. The Postman Always Rings Twice by James M. Cain (1934) 3 stars
✔︎3. The Asphalt Jungle by W.R. Burnett (1949) 4 stars
✔︎4. The Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler (1953) 4 stars
✔︎5. The Spy Who Came In from the Cold by John le Carré (1963) 4 stars
✔︎6. The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster (1987) 2 stars

Alternates
1. The Riddle of the Sands by Erskine Childers (1903)
✔︎2. The Godfather by Mario Puzo (1969) 4 stars

✔︎ as completed

message 2: by Marilyn (last edited Dec 04, 2018 11:59AM) (new)

Marilyn | 720 comments I love reading mystery/detective stories. When I discovered the Guardian list, I connected mysteries with classics. My original plan was to do this as a personal challenge and then realized it fit here.

message 3: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4857 comments Mod
I've neglected this genre for to long, I need to do better. The Asphalt Jungle and Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy have been floating in my subconscious for years. Therese Raquin and the Godfather are excellent. Don't worry about the Godfather if you have seen the movie. I avoided reading for years because I had seen the movie so many times. As usual, the book beats the movie.

message 4: by Darren (new)

Darren (dazburns) | 1847 comments I too have been working my way through the history of Crime novels using the G1000 list
TinkerTailor and Godfather are 5 Stars for me
I have been particularly bitten by the noir sub-genre
I have DarkAdapted/AsphaltJungle/PostmanART down for 2019 too

message 5: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3101 comments Love your challenge Marilyn!

I purchased the 1st edition of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier Spy from a thrift shop for $1 and can't wait to read it.

I read A Study In Scarlet last year. It was my first and only Arthur Conan Doyle - 5 stars for me. I'll be reading more.

message 6: by Susie (new)

Susie | 742 comments Agree with Sue... A Study in Scarlet is excellent and I also enjoyed The Sign of Four.
I've had a Sherlock Holmes on my bingo list every year and always look forward to them...enjoy!

message 7: by Darren (new)

Darren (dazburns) | 1847 comments Sue wrote: "Love your challenge Marilyn!

I purchased the 1st edition of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier Spy from a thrift shop for $1 and can't wait to read it..."

First Edition Hardback?!?! :oO

message 8: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2391 comments I've read about half of your picks, and you have some really good ones there! I think the one that stuck with my most is Thérèse Raquin by Emile Zola. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did :)

message 9: by Angie (new)

Angie | 572 comments Ooh, I love this idea. I've read a few of the books on your list. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd was just fabulous, and I also liked A Study in Scarlet quite a lot.

message 10: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 720 comments I made a few change in the final week when I discovered the Christie and le Carre books were in a series and changed them to earlier books. Now I am ready to start!

message 11: by Renee (new)

Renee | 864 comments I also love mystery/detective novels. This would be such a fun list to read! I hope you enjoy them all :)

message 12: by Darren (new)

Darren (dazburns) | 1847 comments I assume you're about to start The Postman Always Rings Twice this month with this very group?!

message 13: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 720 comments Darren wrote: "I assume you're about to start The Postman Always Rings Twice this month with this very group?!"

Yes I am!

message 14: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 720 comments I have finished A Study in Scarlet, The Sign of Four and The Postman Always Rings Twice. I liked all of them.

message 15: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4857 comments Mod
Nice, three finished, and good reads too.

message 16: by Petra (new)

Petra Good start! Three books finished. Congratulations!

message 17: by Marilyn (last edited Jan 19, 2019 09:36AM) (new)

Marilyn | 720 comments Petra wrote: "Good start! Three books finished. Congratulations!"

I did the three shortest reads to get off to a good start.

message 18: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (last edited Jan 19, 2019 10:08AM) (new)

Lynn (lynnsreads) | 2923 comments Mod
Excellent! Before this year the only murder mysteries I had ever read were Sherlock Holmes. I Now I have read "Murder in the Rue Morgue", The Postman Always Rings Twice and "The Witness for the Prosecution". Perhaps this year we will be reading more mysteries. Great start, Marilyn!

message 19: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 720 comments The Asphalt Jungleby W.R. Burnett Another noir classic. 4 stars

message 20: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (Donut) | 179 comments Marilyn wrote: "The Asphalt Jungleby W.R. Burnett Another noir classic. 4 stars"

The book is TBR, but I honestly did tear up at the end of the movie.

message 21: by Darren (last edited Jan 31, 2019 10:03AM) (new)

Darren (dazburns) | 1847 comments I'll be starting The Asphalt Jungle v.soon myself, so hope I enjoy it as much as you did Marilyn
plus on the noir front I also have Phantom Lady looming...
plus on the Sterling Hayden front I have The Killing (aka Clean Break) looming...
The Asphalt Jungle by W.R. Burnett Phantom Lady by Cornell Woolrich The Snatchers/Clean Break by Lionel White

message 22: by Marilyn (last edited Jan 31, 2019 11:06AM) (new)

Marilyn | 720 comments Christopher wrote: "Marilyn wrote: "The Asphalt Jungleby W.R. Burnett Another noir classic. 4 stars"

The book is TBR, but I honestly did tear up at the end of the movie."

About half way into the book I had to look up the movie version, which includes an unknown Marilyn Monroe. My local library has the DVD. I might have to check it out.

message 23: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 720 comments Darren wrote: "I'll be starting The Asphalt Jungle v.soon myself, so hope I enjoy it as much as you did Marilyn
plus on the noir front I also have Phantom Lady looming...
plus on t..."

Upcoming: The Long Goodbye in March. I am looking forward to it.

message 24: by Marilyn (last edited Feb 07, 2019 11:43AM) (new)

Marilyn | 720 comments The Spy Who Came In from the Cold - 4 stars

Wow, this was good. The author's time in the British Intelligence Service is evident in the authentic feel of the story. This was more cat-and-mouse than action thriller. I was pretty sure of the cat but didn't know who was the mouse until the end.

Edit: Now that I think on it more, I should say mice. Several individuals were sacrificed for "the greater good."

message 25: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 720 comments Finished The Long Goodbye. Another great noir classic. 4 stars.

I didn't need the audio version because Humphrey Bogart narrated the whole book in my head.

message 26: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 720 comments Finished The Talented Mr. Ripley. I found this Highsmith book to be much more engaging than Strangers on a Train.

message 27: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4857 comments Mod
I have read a couple of books by Chandler, but not The Long Goodbye. I have a copy sitting on my shelf, so I'll get to it someday.

Highsmith is an author I hope to try sometime, I'll keep an eye out for a copy of The Talented Mr. Ripley.

message 28: by Marilyn (last edited Oct 28, 2019 09:06PM) (new)

Marilyn | 720 comments With the end of the year approaching I needed to get back to this challenge. In October I finished 3 books:

The 39 Steps - 3 stars - Written in 1915 I guess it was influential to those that came after it. Overall, it was just ok.

The Godfather - 4 stars - I loved learning in the introduction that all the great tough lines came from Mario Puzo's mother - even "Make him an offer he can't refuse."

A Dark-Adapted Eye - 4 stars - This was a slow read for me. The book was interesting in its construction as the story of a murder in the family. We know the identity of the murderer but through most of the book, not of the victim. All families have secrets. The author waited until about 30% into the book to drop the first little bombshell. Then it crept to the next bombshell. In the end we get most of the answers but not all of them. I like that.

One book to go!!!

message 29: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 720 comments Finished The New York Trilogy. The reviews of these stories go from pretentious babble to brilliant. I wouldn't go that far either way. I just found them unsatisfying as a reader.

More importantly, I finished 12 books so I have completed the challenge.

message 30: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1549 comments Congratulations on finishing the challenge, Marilyn!

message 31: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4857 comments Mod
Congratulations, Marilyn!!

message 32: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 720 comments Thanks, Bob and Rosemarie! I'm working on my list for next year.