Around the World in 80 Books discussion

Books Set in North America > Novels set in Canada

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diana (new)

Diana (thoughtsonpapyrus) | 7 comments I wonder if someone would recommend to me any books that are set specifically in Canada - in a way that you can more or less recognise that it is Canada-set? Thanks in advance. I am just preparing my around the world book challenge, but I am stuck on Canada-setting books.

message 2: by Renée (new)

Renée Williams | 8 comments White Heat by M.J. McGrath (I just finished it.)

message 3: by Renée (new)

Renée Williams | 8 comments Janette Oke's Canadian West series
Lucy Maud Montgomery's books (Anne of Green Gables is most well known, but she has many others)
Mrs. Mike by Benedict and Nancy Freedman

message 4: by Diana (new)

Diana (thoughtsonpapyrus) | 7 comments Renée wrote: "White Heat by M.J. McGrath (I just finished it.)"

Sounds exciting! Many thanks! From the description it seems the setting is as north as Canada would go :)

message 5: by Renée (new)

Renée Williams | 8 comments It is. I enjoyed learning about the Inuit culture and environment.

message 6: by Diana (new)

Diana (thoughtsonpapyrus) | 7 comments Renée wrote: "Janette Oke's Canadian West series
Lucy Maud Montgomery's books (Anne of Green Gables is most well known, but she has many others)
Mrs. Mike by Benedict and Nancy Freedman"

Thank you! Looks like classic and inspirational literature. I am spoiled for choice since I have to pick only one.

message 7: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown | 74 comments Any of Louise Penny books. I recommend starting with the first book of the series.

Both Fifteen Dogs and The Hidden Keys are set in Toronto.

I haven't read all of them, but I suspect all (or most ) of Alice Munro books take place in Canada.

message 8: by Savannah (new)

Savannah Fields | 2 comments Diana wrote: "I wonder if someone would recommend to me any books that are set specifically in Canada - in a way that you can more or less recognise that it is Canada-set? Thanks in advance. I am just preparing ..."

Looking for X, Girl on the Other Side, and Playing Defense

message 9: by Savannah (new)

Savannah Fields | 2 comments Diana wrote: "Renée wrote: "Janette Oke's Canadian West series
Mrs. Mike by Benedict and Nancy Freedman"

Thank you..."

Definitely Anne of Green Gables, those books are timeless...

message 10: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 3068 comments Looking for X is a great book. I highly recommend it.

message 11: by Diana (new)

Diana (thoughtsonpapyrus) | 7 comments Valerie wrote: "Any of Louise Penny books. I recommend starting with the first book of the series.

Both Fifteen Dogs and The Hidden Keys are set in Toronto.

I have..."

Curious books, thanks, Valerie.

message 12: by Mome_Rath (new)

Mome_Rath | 1349 comments There are a lot of Canadian book options that have been listed in the polls for the books from each province that have been monthly reads this year. Here are some I've enjoyed:

The Colony of Unrequited Dreams by Wayne Johnston
Two Solitudes by Hugh MacLennan
Who Has Seen the Wind by W.O. Mitchell
The Tin Flute by Gabrielle Roy
The Last Crossing by Guy Vanderhaeghe

I also second the recommendations for Anne of Green Gables, Still Life, and books by Alice Munro (such as The Beggar Maid: Stories of Flo and Rose).

message 13: by Diana (new)

Diana (thoughtsonpapyrus) | 7 comments Mome_Rath wrote: "There are a lot of Canadian book options that have been listed in the polls for the books from each province that have been monthly reads this year. Here are some I've enjoyed:

[book:The Colony of..."

What great books, thanks a lot.

message 14: by Renée (new)

Renée Williams | 8 comments Who Has Seen the Wind was required when I was in high school.

message 15: by HomeInMyShoes (new)

HomeInMyShoes | 141 comments I'd second the Wayne Johnston and Guy Vanderhaeghe selections, although I'd go for A Good Man.

If you like mysteries, you can read something from the Joanne Kilbourn series by Gail Bowen which are set in Saskatchewan.

message 16: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 4 comments Louise Penny is a great mystery writer too. Her books are based in Quebec.
I have a shelf dedicated to Canadian reads if you want some inspiration.

message 17: by Diana (new)

Diana (thoughtsonpapyrus) | 7 comments Anastasia wrote: "Louise Penny is a great mystery writer too. Her books are based in Quebec.
I have a shelf dedicated to Canadian reads if you want some inspiration."

Thank you, HomeInMyShoes and Anastasia. I now understand there are a lot of interesting books set in Canada.

message 18: by Joan (new)

Joan Soggie (joansoggie) | 5 comments Prairie Grass by Joan Soggie