What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Scifi (Trumpet?) Lilies - Scifi/fantasy by female author (I think)

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lazlo (last edited Dec 05, 2018 03:31AM) (new)

Lazlo Ferran (lazloferran) I have been an author (Lazlo Ferran) since about 2003. I was already a song writer but I think what convinced me to write books was a scifi/fantasy novel I read in 1991/2/3. I remember really liking it, but I read four or five books per week at the time, so I can't remember the name. I was going through a very difficult time and this lifted me up. I think it focused on a young man/boy who was involved with royalty in some kind of City where trumpet lilies were either currency or precious or perhaps simply narcotics.

It was possibly published around 1991 but could be much earlier.

I think somebody committed murder (possibly with a trumpet lily).

I also remember I read a second novel by her a year later which was about a new kind of electronic chip. I wish i could remember more! Help if you can. please.

message 2: by Lazlo (new)

Lazlo Ferran (lazloferran) I remembered something else. Dunno if this helps, but the reason I liked this so much was, because of the vivid city descriptions and vivacious characters.

message 3: by Lazlo (new)

Lazlo Ferran (lazloferran) Can't anybody help at all with this please? I guess its possible they weren't Trumpet Lilies, but some kind of lilies.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39247 comments Mod
Lazlo, please note that you can bump your thread every 30 days, but not more often because the group is so large.

Only 35 people have seen your thread so far. You have to give it time.

Series or standalone? Remember the cover?

message 5: by Lazlo (new)

Lazlo Ferran (lazloferran) Lobstergirl wrote: "Lazlo, please note that you can bump your thread every 30 days, but not more often because the group is so large.

Only 35 people have seen your thread so far. You have to give it time.

Series or..."

Stand alone book. I think the cover basically was pretty colorful, depicting a city in the background and possibly white trumpet-shaped lilies in the foreground.

message 6: by Bonnie (last edited Dec 13, 2018 04:04PM) (new)

Bonnie | 241 comments Well, this is a long shot, but in came up when googling various things. Though, I don't find any covers like what you described.

Here's a description from one site:
“The Blue Flowers,” published in 1973 and now happily reissued by New Directions. The book follows two characters who each dream of the other. Cidrolin lives on a grubby barge in Paris, where, when awake, he eats sardines and gets blitzed off of something called “essence of fennel.” His remove from three married-off daughters is a mystery, as is why he went to jail and why he must clean a vandal’s painted slurs from his fence every day. Cidrolin’s dream life, like a binge-watched TV show, is his raison d’être—it glues him to the violent misadventures of Joaquim, the thirteenth-century Duke of Auge. Among other details, the Duke moves through time a little differently than most: in the company of two secretly talking horses, he periodically leaps over hurdles of a hundred and seventy-five years.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 7: by Lazlo (last edited Dec 14, 2018 04:17AM) (new)

Lazlo Ferran (lazloferran) Bonnie wrote: "Well, this is a long shot, but in came up when googling various things. Though, I don't find any covers like what you described.

Here's a description from one site:
“The Blue Flowers,” published i..."

Thanks Bonnie for trying. And thanks Lobstergirl for the advice. Unfortunately, The Blue Flowers isn't it. This was a fictional city in a fantasy land. And definitely lilies. Pretty sure they were white, but might have been yellow, and pretty sure they were called Trumpet Lilies. Also, it was a female author.