What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Last Days of Dogtown
This topic is about The Last Days of Dogtown
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Fiction- several women struggling with hard lives on small northern island supporting each other. historical. [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Rhonda Pennington | 2 comments The island is cold and windy (off of Canada? Washington State?) The story revolves around the hardships of several women. The island is sparsely inhabited. Houses sit alone. Two of the women are prostitutes that work at the island's only tavern. I think they share an abandoned home too. Living in their attic is a black woman, Ruth. I think she is either deaf or somehow disfigured (burned?). Some folks on the island don't even know she exists because she keeps herself hidden. Ruth builds walls made of slate stone. The stones "tell" her how to be placed to make a perfect wall. Not sure of the time period. 20's? earlier? I think the book has a map of the island on the inside cover. I read this book several years ago. Thanks!

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37753 comments Mod
Rhonda, since we have thousands of people looking for fiction, please add plot details (derived from what you've already written) to your header. This will help people who only have a few minutes to read through the headers.

Rhonda Pennington | 2 comments I found the title: The Last Days of Dogtown by Anita Diamant.

message 4: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16144 comments Glad you found it!

The Last Days of Dogtown for the link.