Dragons & Jetpacks discussion

Skyward (Skyward, #1)
This topic is about Skyward
BotM Discussion - SCI-FI > Skyward / Overall Discussion / ***SPOILERS***

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new) - rated it 4 stars

Roger | 1988 comments Mod
I could not make myself wait any longer to read a Brandon Sanderson book so, I finished this last month. From what I understand this is his first foray into science fiction and I thought he was quite successful, while not my favorite book of his, this book is up to his usual standards and was entertaining to read.

At the end when they reveal that humans are too violent and that this was the planet was their cage I felt a little conflicted, I kind of felt like it was justified as we can be a warmongering race. I'm not sure where the series is headed but I'm definitely going to keep reading.

message 2: by Xi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Xi (believen) I'm almost done! 100 pages left, will probably finish after work. I love it so far! This is actually my first book by Brandon Sanderson... Been too intimidated by his other books 😂

message 3: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new) - rated it 4 stars

Xi wrote: "I'm almost done! 100 pages left, will probably finish after work. I love it so far! This is actually my first book by Brandon Sanderson... Been too intimidated by his other books 😂"

Don't be scared! Read all the books!!!! Definitely start with Mistborn if you want to read another of his series. (that's what Sanderson recommends) I'm also a huge fan of Warbreaker, even though it's a little slow to get going the end is great. Elantris is just okay but I've read it a few times just because I'm a bit of a Sanderson fan....

message 4: by Xi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Xi (believen) (I'm on my phone and it seems like the app doesn't let me .. reply?)

Oh gosh, I managed to finish skyward before work!! That was great, though left me confused at the end. I'll need to digest it for couple of hours

message 5: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
I'm half way through and really enjoying it. I know Sanderson has toyed withe Scifi in a couple of Novellas but this is a different thing all together. Enjoying it so far.

message 6: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 401 comments I really enjoyed it - fun, easy read was just what I needed. I especially liked Spensa's developing friendships with the rest of Skyward flight, which felt natural (unlike a lot of female protagonist books which only have the one obligatory cardboard female friend). And I looooved m-bot.

It would have been a five starrer for me, but I didn't enjoy the ending as much. It felt a little 'weird' (if you know what I mean) compared to the rest of the book. But I am be interested to see where he takes it from there.

Will defiantly (this is usually how I misspell definitely but it seemed rather apt this time) be picking up the next one :-).

message 7: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kirsty Cabot (kirstycabot) | 1854 comments Mod
I enjoyed this. Not as much as I wanted to though. It was entertaining and had me gripped. But I felt the start was too long and the end was too short if that makes sense. Elements were predictable.

I thought it was quite like Armada, but I think I preferred Armada. Anyone else read it that thinks that? Or is it just me.

Saying that, still a fan, and glad I read it. Some great ideas as we expect.

Narilka | 390 comments I enjoyed this book immensely. I want my own Doomslug! If the folks over at Dragonsteel ever released a plushie, I'd buy one :D

It was funny. The first time M-bot revealed his name I totally thought "murder bot" lol And then Spensa uses it as an example the next paragraph. I wonder if that was a little nod to Martha Wells or just a coincidence.

For M-bot, I totally have the voice of Jarvis from the Iron Man movies in my head.

message 9: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new) - rated it 4 stars

Narilka wrote: "I enjoyed this book immensely. I want my own Doomslug! If the folks over at Dragonsteel ever released a plushie, I'd buy one :D

It was funny. The first time M-bot revealed his name I totally thoug..."

Also....the doomslug is clearly the thing that allows the ship to teleport. Spensa never sees it move and it is always right next to her, the thing has been teleporting the whole book...

Narilka | 390 comments Roger wrote: "Also....the doomslug is clearly the thing that allows the ship to teleport. Spensa never sees it move and it is always right next to her, the thing has been teleporting the whole book..."

Yes it has though I don't think it is the catalyst to teleportation for humans - that would be the "defect". Part of me hopes that Doomslug has it's own role to play other than as cute pet to keep Spensa company.

message 11: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 401 comments I thought the 'm' stood for mushroom.

Carlos Segura | 12 comments My first Brandon Sanderson book and I absolutely loved it! Since the first chapter I was hooked to Spin and I really enjoyed how all the other characters developed during the book. The ending was great, I can’t wait to see where he takes this series! Now it’s time to decide between Mistborn or Stormlight Archive or another book of his? I loved his writing

Hayley | 372 comments I just started reading this a few days ago and am almost half way. Loving it so far but then I've never read a bad Sanderson book. I always enjoy the humour Sanderson brings to his books and he's so good at characterisation. I love Spensa as a character and the fact that she's not immediately the best in her class, she has to work at it.

Also I never thought I'd read a book that would make me want a pet slug!

message 14: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new) - rated it 4 stars

Carlos wrote: "My first Brandon Sanderson book and I absolutely loved it! Since the first chapter I was hooked to Spin and I really enjoyed how all the other characters developed during the book. The ending was g..."

Sanderson himself recommends starting with the Mistborn trilogy...

message 15: by Lel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lel (lelspear) | 1766 comments I'm with everyone else in the 'loved it camp'. It had a distinctly young adult feel to it which normally frustrates me with the lack of details. Not so much in this case. I loved Spensa's character and M-bot was soooo funny. I think everyone should have a sarcastic voice chatting to them at awkward times.

I really didn't see the doomslug as a teleportation facilitator but now that has been mentioned I can see it. Although in all her exploring it seems like only one has been found, that could be a little awkward.

I quite like the idea of the Krell being prison wardens for the barbaric humans. Although they dont give much scope for humans to evolve and grow past their bloody history. I will definitely pick up the rest of the series as it comes out. Anyone else getting frustrated with the lack of complete series in their lives?

message 16: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
It's a good and a bad thing having series to wait on. But it is an ever growing list now.

message 17: by Lel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lel (lelspear) | 1766 comments Paul wrote: "It's a good and a bad thing having series to wait on. But it is an ever growing list now."

I think i'm going to make it a priority to finish what series I can next year. Starting with the Old Man's War Series.

Jenna | 9 comments I finished this last night and overall enjoyed it.

I wasn't a huge fan of Spensa and found her a little annoying. Did anyone else feel this way? I loved a lot of the side characters, though. I loved all the scenes with M-Bot and Doomslug and feel like the story really grabbed me once M-Bot was revived. I liked the ending and i'm definitely looking forward to reading the rest of the series to see where the story goes.

Maximum Beans (maximumbeans) | 515 comments I also really enjoyed the book and really liked the imagery with the rubble belt. I've only recently read Armada for my D&J Catchup Challenge and so was often reminded of that book while reading this one.
I'm not sure if Doomslug is the part of the ship that was missing or if Spensa just had to integrate with the ship. Doomslug wasn't mentioned in the scene with the teleportation of the ship, but could obviously teleport itself. In the final scene M-Bot suddenly threw an extra system into the readout "organic component" before "cytonic hyperdrive", so I'm unsure on that one.

Efrat | 90 comments Very nice book. I dont understand the technology of this world- how does the spaceship hover? What is the defect? Is this a fantsy or SF book?

Oleksandr Zholud Efrat wrote: "how does the spaceship hover? What is the defect? Is this a fantsy or SF book?"

anti-grav from those things that drop from orbit. For me it is fantasy in space, just like Star Wars

message 22: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new) - rated it 4 stars

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 2762 comments Mod
I just got back several hours ago from a Brandon Sanderson signing, and I asked if M in M-bot stood for anything. It’s really just a serial number-type thing, but Spensa is convinced the M is for Massacre, and M-bot believes it’s for Mushroom, and both are absolutely certain in their beliefs.

You can also now get a Doomslug T-shirt:
http://store.brandonsanderson.com/doo...

message 23: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new) - rated it 4 stars

Audrey wrote: "I just got back several hours ago from a Brandon Sanderson signing, and I asked if M in M-bot stood for anything. It’s really just a serial number-type thing, but Spensa is convinced the M is for M..."

That's an adorable shirt.

message 24: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new) - rated it 4 stars

That’s also what the stickers look like as well. I got a few extra (if I can find them), thinking I could send some among the group as prizes for something.

Maximum Beans (maximumbeans) | 515 comments Ooo! Ooo! Me! Me! I can win a prize sticker, yes? How about "Prize for the most winning smile?" *flutters eyelashes and does a puppdog expression*
Or, or, I could win one for the most fawning message? Have I mentioned how nice your cakes have looked recently?

message 26: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new) - rated it 4 stars

You may be on to something. Continue.

Maximum Beans (maximumbeans) | 515 comments Lol. Actually that is true, your K-9 cake looked pretty great.
Skyward was the last physical book I read; I don't often read paper books because of my poor sight. The next one I'm going to attempt is "Throne of Glass", not because I'm expecting it to be worth the effort, I don't know much about it - but because it's on my desk and needs checking off.

message 28: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new) - rated it 4 stars

The 1-star reviews for Throne of Glass are very entertaining. I should update mine.

Maximum Beans (maximumbeans) | 515 comments Not good then? I'm 30 pages in and so far not really getting much.

message 30: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new) - rated it 4 stars

It felt like a 14-year-old’s first novel. A boy-crazy 14-year-old.

Maximum Beans (maximumbeans) | 515 comments I am getting that sense. The inner cover says the first draft was written when she was 16. There is a lot of "Oh he's so pretty!" and talk about clothing in it, considering I'm less than 40 pages in.