Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

A Natural History of Dragons (The Memoirs of Lady Trent, #1)
This topic is about A Natural History of Dragons
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > A Natural History of Dragons [Jul 1, 2019]

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4433 comments Mod
A Natural History of Dragons - Marie Brennan.
July 1st.

message 3: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 5103 comments In😀

Timelord Iain | 14926 comments I think the BR fell apart last time because the ending to this book was so unexpected... (view spoiler)

message 5: by Karishma (new)

Karishma (karishmanewar) | 1612 comments Possibly in, I paused the book in the last BR, maybe I can finally finish it now.

Iain - the BR hasn't started and you are putting the ending in spoilers, how do you expect me to resist opening it for such a long time!

message 6: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 5103 comments I didn't have the book at the time, but I have the series now, so i will be good to go 😊

Timelord Iain | 14926 comments Karishma wrote: "Possibly in, I paused the book in the last BR, maybe I can finally finish it now.

Iain - the BR hasn't started and you are putting the ending in spoilers, how do you expect me to resist opening it..."

Sorry... really don't click that... I only mentioned it because I see Katherine already read the book...

message 8: by Kathrine (last edited Dec 04, 2018 11:11PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathrine | 1246 comments Yeah, I've read the entire series and loved it as a whole, but I do think the first book is the weakest of the bunch (it's still great tho!).

It's a series that only gets better as it goes on, imo, and by the fifth book I was completely blown away. I can only recommend sticking around for the whole thing, it has amazing pay-off

I actually did a paper on this first book in English class and spoiled it for my teacher, who was also reading it at the time – whoops

Timelord Iain | 14926 comments Oops... lol

Yea... I liked the first book, obviously... it just got lost in the shuffle over the summer, since I did 20-30 Buddy Reads most months this year, and stopped filling in my tracker ahead of time... I'd just check the Master List at the beginning of each month and update my plans accordingly, and Lady Trent wasn't on there in August, and I didn't notice...

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7591 comments I'd love to reread this series!

Jessica (raivynwolf) | 673 comments Ooh I'd be into re-reading this series too! Though the first two books are my least favorite I'll still re-read them

Saar The Book owl | 1899 comments I'm in for this! I've planned this for a while, but didn't found the time.

Kathrine | 1246 comments Yay, happy to see so many people joining in on this! It really is one of my favorite series :D

message 14: by Anny (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anny | 241 comments I've been wanting to read this book for ages, and finally I got it from kindle deals for $1.99 :)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7591 comments Anny wrote: "I've been wanting to read this book for ages, and finally I got it from kindle deals for $1.99 :)"

Awesome! :D

Solseit | 1456 comments I should be in for this one!

message 17: by Timelord Iain (last edited May 14, 2019 03:57AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Timelord Iain | 14926 comments Not sure I'll re-read, but we did a BR last summer and it took me 2 months to notice there was no BR for the rest of the series, so I'm looking forward to an excuse to continue... last August was a distracting time for BRs, with Kate Daniels ending...

message 18: by Anny (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anny | 241 comments Starting yesterday.

Really loving it so far I almost can't stop reading! I really like Isabel's character and am so glad the romance part is done swiftly so we can focus more on dragons and adventures.

Saar The Book owl | 1899 comments I think I'll start omorrow.

Timelord Iain | 14926 comments Considering how unhappy some people were with character developments towards the end of this book, I feel like I should warn you guys, but doing so would be a pretty major spoiler.

Best I can do is use a spoiler tag and let anyone who wants a spoiler to read it: (view spoiler)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "Considering how unhappy some people were with character developments towards the end of this book, I feel like I should warn you guys, but doing so would be a pretty major spoiler.

Best I can do i..."

I didn't mind this as much when I read it, because (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 14926 comments Kathrine wrote: "Timelord Iain wrote: "Considering how unhappy some people were with character developments towards the end of this book, I feel like I should warn you guys, but doing so would be a pretty major spo..."

I know at least one person that decided to abandon the series and never continue... to each their own... I was fine-ish with it... still rated 5 stars...

Kathrine | 1246 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "Kathrine wrote: "Timelord Iain wrote: "Considering how unhappy some people were with character developments towards the end of this book, I feel like I should warn you guys, but doing so would be a..."

I think the first book is the weakest, which might turn off some people, but as a whole, I think the series is amazing and worth it. There's also a new book coming out later this year! :D

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7591 comments Kathrine wrote: "Timelord Iain wrote: "Considering how unhappy some people were with character developments towards the end of this book, I feel like I should warn you guys, but doing so would be a pretty major spo..."

I don't know why this would upset anyone to the point of disliking the book/series. I was very saddened, but still loved the characters and concept. I agree with both yours and Kathrine's opinion there, Iain.

I was really hoping to join this for a reread but I don't think I have time :( I didn't allow in my schedule for how big the Liveship books are!

message 25: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 5103 comments I will start it tomorrow for sure!

message 26: by Anny (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anny | 241 comments So far I found this to be a very light and happy reading. Mostly about the comical misadventures of our heroine. It almost read like a travel diary of sorts. No complex plot and heart wrenching drama and tragedy. Maybe something like a light brunch read?

Solseit | 1456 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "Considering how unhappy some people were with character developments towards the end of this book, I feel like I should warn you guys, but doing so would be a pretty major spoiler.

Best I can do i..."

I kid you not, I did not read this spoiler yet and I was talking to my significant other this morning and I said that it is clear to me that what you described in the spoiler tag was going to happen!

Solseit | 1456 comments Anny wrote: "So far I found this to be a very light and happy reading. Mostly about the comical misadventures of our heroine. It almost read like a travel diary of sorts. No complex plot and heart wrenching dra..."

I agree with you Anny!
I finished book 1 - while there are a bit more sensitive topics (view spoiler), I find it fresh and easy to read!

message 29: by Anny (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anny | 241 comments I am finished with the book as well.

Yep, despite the sensitive topics, it was quite a realistic depiction of women's standing not so long ago. And regarding the twist at the end (view spoiler)

In all, I really like Isabel's easygoing and gung-ho attitude, I will be looking forward to more of this spunky lass in the next books :)

Saar The Book owl | 1899 comments Not nearly finished, but I agree with you, Anni, it gives a realistic view on what was expected of women in that time period.
For now it's an okay read. I hope it gets more interesting. I loeved the part where they were (view spoiler). I definately have done the same. The drawings are a positive addition to the book.

Kathrine | 1246 comments I might join you from the second book onward, because I did reread this last year but I would love to do the rest of the series too :D

Agree with you both, Anny and Saar. I think this series does an amazing job at building a believable Victorian-esque world with dragons

Stephen Richter (stephenofllongbeach) | 13 comments I really liked this series. I did it all in audio, narrated by Kate Reading who is great . Each book gets better. I tell people if Jane Austen wrote Fantasy this would be the series.

message 33: by Anny (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anny | 241 comments Saar The Book owl wrote: "Not nearly finished, but I agree with you, Anni, it gives a realistic view on what was expected of women in that time period.
For now it's an okay read. I hope it gets more interesting. I loeved th..."

One minor complaint for me is for a book supposedly about studying the dragons, we don't really get much detailed knowledge and otherwise. It's more of Isabel's travel diary rather than a comprehensive guide to dragons.

I loved the bits where they mentioned that dragon wings have a sort of hatch mechanism to allow wind to pass through it to reduce drags during lift-off and closing it to allow maximal lift when on air. That's the sort of thoughtful knowledge that I would love to hear more of from the author. Sadly, it's quite lacking in this aspect in my opinion.

Solseit | 1456 comments I just finished the book and I really enjoyed it.
Such a great idea to write it as a memoir - which hurts less on matters that impact the heart.

As for your comment Anny, I did not even think of it until you mentioned it. Yet you are absolutely spot on!

Saar The Book owl | 1899 comments Anny wrote: "Saar The Book owl wrote: "Not nearly finished, but I agree with you, Anni, it gives a realistic view on what was expected of women in that time period.
For now it's an okay read. I hope it gets mor..."

That's an interesting remark and I must agree, but it's also a memoir, so it goes mostly about traveling. Maybe it'll get better in the next books?

message 36: by Kathrine (last edited Jul 09, 2019 10:30AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathrine | 1246 comments I agree with you also, Anny – it is more of Isabella's travel diary. Having read the rest of the series, I can't say it improves significantly, unfortunately :( However, dragons will continue to be the main subject throughout the series, so there'll be plenty of other cool stuff about them: different types and ages and behaviours and culture surrounding dragons – I feel like the series only gets better for each entry :D

Also, should we schedule the rest of the series?

Saar The Book owl | 1899 comments If that's okay with the others, that's fine for me. I've recently bought the whole series :)

message 38: by Anny (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anny | 241 comments Saar The Book owl wrote: "If that's okay with the others, that's fine for me. I've recently bought the whole series :)"

I'm still waiting for Kindle deals T_T or for my library to stock them, whichever first.