Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Ninth House (Alex Stern, #1)
This topic is about Ninth House
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Ninth House [Oct 8, 2019]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4615 comments Mod
Ninth House - Leigh Bardugo.
October 8th.

Solseit | 1460 comments If there is an audiobook version of this, I will be in!

Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos) | 80 comments I am going to try to get to this one but I don't know yet

message 4: by idiffer (last edited Oct 10, 2019 12:45PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

idiffer | 765 comments I'm halfway done, So far this has been a bit like A little hatred, in that the main plot is boring as hell (it's a glorified ghost/detective story), but other elements of the book sort of make it enjoyable.

Some of it is the gritty, interesting MC, part of it is the competent dialogues. But most of all it's the fucking atmosphere of light depression that oozes from the pages thanks to the stylistic aspect of the writing. I just love this in books. And I can't exactly pinpoint to alot of things that overtly scream depressing. It's just the a word in a phrase, the order the phrases are in - that sort of thing. Which shows that Bardugo has some serious writing chops now. I don't remember her writing being this good in Six of crows.

I also like how Bardugo doesn't shy away from swearing or trigger warning and spoiler for page 200: (view spoiler)