Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2019 Old & New Classic Challenge > Terris's 2019 Old & New Classic Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 119 (119 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Terris (last edited Dec 31, 2019 03:55PM) (new)

Terris | 2336 comments Old School (1899 and earlier)
1. Daniel Deronda by George Eliot, 1876, 2-21-19, 3***s
2. Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott, 1819, 8-30-19, 4****s
3. Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky, 1866 , 4-29-19, 4****s

New School (1900-1999)
4. For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway, 1940, 12-31-19, 3***s
5. Brighton Rock by Graham Greene, 1938, 12-18-19, 3***s
6. The Custom of the Country by Edith Wharton, 1913, 10-30-19, 4****s

Wild Card
7. The Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy, 1886, 5-24-19, 4****s
8. The Caine Mutiny by Herman Wouk, 1951, 7-30-19, 4****s
9. Shadows on the Rock by Willa Cather, 1931 , 2-27-19, 4****s
10. The Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery, 1926, 1-20-19, 5*****s
11. Picnic at Hanging Rock by Joan Lindsay, 1967, 4-4-19, 4****s
12. To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis, 1998 , 9-17-19, 4****s

Alternates
13. The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver, 1998, 12-17-19, 4****s
14. Time and Again by Jack Finney, 1970, 9-1-19, 4****s

message 2: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 852 comments Good selections. I loved Crime and Punishment and thought The Custom of the Country and The Mayor of Casterbridge were both very good books.

message 3: by Hailee (new)

Hailee | 365 comments I nearly added Ivanhoe to my own list but I think I'll save it for next year now. Hope you enjoy all your picks.

message 4: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4779 comments Mod
Your old school selections have on my list for years, I just can't motivate myself to start. I have read For whom the Bells Tolls and Brighton Rock, but to me the true gem on your list is The Caine Mutiny.

message 5: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2336 comments Janet wrote: "Good selections. I loved Crime and Punishment and thought The Custom of the Country and The Mayor of Casterbridge were both very good books."

That's good to know! I am looking forward to those in particular. I'll let you know what I think :)

message 6: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2336 comments Hailee wrote: "I nearly added Ivanhoe to my own list but I think I'll save it for next year now. Hope you enjoy all your picks."

I'm not sure about Ivanhoe -- I hope I enjoy it. We'll see... :/

message 7: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2336 comments Bob wrote: "Your old school selections have on my list for years, I just can't motivate myself to start. I have read For whom the Bells Tolls and Brighton Rock, but to me the true gem on your list is The Caine..."

I know what you mean! I've read so many classics and now I'm down to the ones that I've been putting off for Yeeeaaarrrs!!! They're all long too!!! Anyway, this year I'm going to (try to) do it ;)
I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed The Caine Mutiny so much. I'm really looking forward to it!

message 8: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

Lynn (lynnsreads) | 2796 comments Mod
Oooooh. You have both Brighton Rock and Picnic at Hanging Rock. It looks very good!

message 9: by Angie (new)

Angie | 522 comments Great selections! I've been wanting to read The Custom of the Country myself. I may have to work it into one of my challenges. Good luck this year!

message 10: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2336 comments Helen wrote: "Oooooh. You have both Brighton Rock and Picnic at Hanging Rock. It looks very good!"

I hope I like them. I've been looking forward to them for quite a while!

message 11: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2336 comments Angie wrote: "Great selections! I've been wanting to read The Custom of the Country myself. I may have to work it into one of my challenges. Good luck this year!"

I love Edith Wharton. I hope this one is as good as her others! :)

message 12: by Susie (new)

Susie | 731 comments You and I continue to have similar tastes (or impulses?)😆
Several of yours are on my tbr shelf and it looks like Picnic at Hanging Rock from one of my challenges this year is getting rolled into 2019...
Great minds...hahaha...

message 13: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2336 comments Susie wrote: "You and I continue to have similar tastes (or impulses?)😆
Several of yours are on my tbr shelf and it looks like Picnic at Hanging Rock from one of my challenges this year is getting ..."

Haha! Yes, we seem to think alike on our reading preferences! It will be fun to see what others we intersect on this year. Happy 2019 Reading! :)

message 14: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 4568 comments Mod
You have a few of my favorites, a few books I have been meaning to read, and a couple that I don't know a thing about. I'll be watching closely to see how this goes for you.

message 15: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2336 comments This is a challenge that I've never actually finished (I guess I've participated twice before). But I always feel like at least I read books that I wouldn't have got to if they weren't on "the list." It tends to prioritizes things for me and makes it a little competitive too, so I like that. I hope I get to the ones you're looking for.
Which were your favorites (give me some encouragement!), and which are the couple you don't know anything about (I'll pay close attention to those)?

message 16: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

For Whom the Bell Tolls, my favorite Hemingway, The Custom of the Country and The Mayor of Casterbridge both 5+ stars. I need to read Brighton Rock, The Caine Mutiny and Shadows on the Rock. I have no knowledge of Picnic at Hanging Rock, To Say Nothing of the Dog or Time and Again, but they all sound interesting. I will have to see what you think on those.

I figure it doesn't matter whether we finish, only that we enjoy what we read.

message 17: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2336 comments Thanks for your input! I'm looking forward to your favorites and I'll try to let you know what I think of the others :)

message 18: by Gary (new)

Gary | 200 comments Amazing choices! I hope you like Ivanhoe as much as I did. I'm adding Daniel Deronda to my reading list for next year. I too, am running low on choices for famous classics to read. Next year will be an interesting year for both of us it seems.

message 19: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2336 comments Thanks, Gary! And also for the info on Ivanhoe. I wasn't sure about that one but now I'm kind of looking forward to it :)

message 20: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 391 comments I will not make another list. I will not make another list. Oh heck, I will probably make another list. You've inspired me with your great list.

message 21: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Tammy wrote: "I will not make another list. I will not make another list. Oh heck, I will probably make another list. You've inspired me with your great list."

lol. Oh, Tammy, I so know that feeling.

message 22: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2011 comments great selections, Terris.
Hope you enjoy the books.
:)

message 23: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Terris, I’m the same as you in that I rarely finish this challenge but it does motivate me to pick up books I wouldn’t otherwise. Good luck with all of your choices :)

message 24: by Clio (new)

Clio | 34 comments These are great! The Caine Mutiny and To Say Nothing of the Dog are two of my favorite books of all time!

message 25: by April (new)

April Munday | 277 comments I almost put The Caine Mutiny on my list for next year, but changed my mind. To Say Nothing of the Dog is a good book, but it does get very confusing.

message 26: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2336 comments Clio & April, I'm so glad to hear that you both enjoyed To Say Nothing of the Dog! It's been on my list for so long & now that it's on "the list" I might actually read it! I can't wait :)

message 27: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2336 comments Tammy wrote: "I will not make another list. I will not make another list. Oh heck, I will probably make another list. You've inspired me with your great list."

Oh Tammy! That's so funny! I love lists and will always make more, and I'm pretty sure you will too ;)

message 28: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2336 comments siriusedward wrote: "great selections, Terris.
Hope you enjoy the books.
:)"

Thanks, Elena :)

message 29: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2336 comments Pink wrote: "Terris, I’m the same as you in that I rarely finish this challenge but it does motivate me to pick up books I wouldn’t otherwise. Good luck with all of your choices :)"

Thanks! I've received so many comments on people's favorite books that I've included here that I'm pretty excited :)

message 30: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2336 comments Made my final change. I've never finished this challenge before, but I'm hopeful this year. I have several that I am looking forward to!

message 31: by Renee (new)

Renee | 864 comments Great list! I haven't read any of your choices, but many of them are in my TBR. Hope you enjoy them!

message 32: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2336 comments One down!
The Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery
The Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery, 5*****s

I just loved this one! Very sweet and satisfying. And, of course, I love Anne of Green Gables. This one had a similar feel, only the main characters were adults instead of children. I just had to read it straight through :)

message 33: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3046 comments Congratulations Terris! Glad that you love your first

message 34: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

I really need to read that. I loved the Anne books and have never read anything else by Montgomery. Delighted you had such a good start, Terri.

message 35: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (last edited Jan 21, 2019 11:02AM) (new)

Lynn (lynnsreads) | 2796 comments Mod
Brighton Rock Terris I was just reading through the Telegraph's 100 books https://www.listchallenges.com/the-te... and Brighton Rock is on that list so it will also work for Bingo. Although I had considered The Catcher in the Rye which I have not read yet, for that box too.

Congratulations on Book 1!

message 36: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1543 comments Congrats on finishing your first book, Terris.

message 37: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2336 comments Lynn wrote: "Brighton Rock Terris I was just reading through the Telegraph's 100 books https://www.listchallenges.com/the-te... and Brighton Rock is..."

Thanks for that info! I may have to look into that and see if I want to change my Bingo entry in that category. It may depend of how many books I get read and if I want to read an extra or not. I put Germinal in that slot because I rolled it over from last year and really want to read it! But -- if it gets right down to it -- I may do some switching ;)

message 38: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2336 comments Well, one more down. Hope I can keep up the pace of one per month!
I finished Daniel Deronda which had been on my list for a long, long time -- so I'm glad to have finally read it. But unfortunately I didn't like it very much. I only gave it the 3rd star out of respect for George Eliot! I have enjoyed several of her others, but this one was long and drawn out with not much of an ending. Sorry, but I don't really recommend it :/

message 39: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments ^5 !

Even if you ended up not liking it, doesn't it feel good to finish one that you've wanted to get to for a long time?

message 40: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

I did give it a 4 ✯ rating, Terri, but it is my least favorite Eliot and, while all her other works so far seem to merit a re-read, I would not ever read it again. Glad you have it behind you.

message 41: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4779 comments Mod
Daniel Deronda is one of those want to read books, but in reality it may never happen. Glad you got it behind you, sorry it wasn't better.

message 42: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2336 comments Thank you, guys! I am glad that I read it and know what it's all about. But it certainly was not my favorite of hers. And, yes, I'm glad that it's behind me and I get to mark it off my list.
And now I want to read Romola! :)

message 43: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Romola is next for me as well, Terri. I've heard good things.

message 44: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2336 comments Fingers crossed!! :)

message 45: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2336 comments I just finished Shadows on the Rock by Willa Cather. As always, Willa Cather satisfied! I have not read anything by her for a long time. I knew I had loved what I read by her before, but kind of forgot why -- and now I remember! Her writing style and descriptions are somehow soothing. I just enjoy her so much.

This one was set in about 1700 in Canada. It involved the French coming to "conquer" parts of Canada and North America. The main characters were the apothecary and his daughter who came to Canada with the Count who went to Canada to fight the Iroquois, and whomever else the King wanted him to fight! That didn't sound very interesting to me at first, but Willa Cather's descriptions of the father and the daughter, the priests, the explorers of the frontier, etc., etc. were so compelling that I fell in love with it.
So, if you're interested in Willa Cather at all, I highly recommend this one!

message 46: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1543 comments That sounds good, Terris. I like Cather's work, and I'm Canadian. It sounds like the book for me!

message 47: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2336 comments Rosemarie wrote: "That sounds good, Terris. I like Cather's work, and I'm Canadian. It sounds like the book for me!"

Oh yes, I think you'd like it! I was interested in the 1700 era. I don't know much history detail before the 1750's. I was trying to remember what the French were doing around that time and thinking of Napolean -- but this was 100 years before Napolean! So this added to my history education :)

message 48: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

I will need to add this one, Terri. I have The Song of the Lark on my challenge, but another Cather is always welcomed.

message 49: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2336 comments Let me know what you think of The Song of the Lark. I might have to add it to my list! :)

message 50: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Will do.

« previous 1 3