Peanut Blossom Book Club for Recovering Readers discussion

Ghosted
This topic is about Ghosted
2019: Official Book Discussions > February: Ghosted

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany (peanutblossom) | 22 comments Mod
This thread is for our discussion of February's book. What did you think of this month's pick?

Michelle (michellepoelsterl) | 1 comments I liked this book a lot. The twists were manageable and not too off the wall. Sometimes I struggle to like British characters, not sure why probably me not understanding something in the culture, but I liked these characters.

Tiffany | 8 comments I really enjoyed this book and it wasn’t as predictable as I expected it to be. Will recommend to friends.

Jenna Holzhauser (jennaholzhauser) | 3 comments Still working through it! Not my favorite format but I’m trying

Angela (cupcakemom) | 14 comments I’m struggling with this book! Hope it gets better.

Tammy | 6 comments It was a fun little book, interesting twists.

Tina | 2 comments I just finished this. It took me awhile to get into the story. I didn't enjoy how it was written but in the end was an interesting story with a few unexpected twists.

message 8: by love.e.reads (last edited Feb 17, 2019 05:33PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

love.e.reads (lovee-reads) | 9 comments It took me a while to get into the"The Man who didn't call" but i must say I'm glad i stuck with it. I realize that I kinda relate to stories set in England well.

I thought I had the plot figured out and that it was going to be like a Lifetime movie where the main male character has been living a double life with a wife and children but the author kept me guessing and I didn't see the twists coming.

The book club questions at the end were many of the questions I asked myself whilst reading. I don't know if i would've been pining for so long after such a short time, regardless of how magnificent the time spent was. The advent of social media has made it more difficult to move on in such a situation but it's not impossible.

I loved the friendships as well, so much love and support. But if Sarah had been my friend, i would've been more like Jo than Jenni, definitely :)

The format left me confused at times but it wasn't difficult to pick up where I was or who was relaying the story after a while.

I I would recommend this book in a heartbeat.

April | 2 comments I finished this late last night. It definitely picked in the last half. I liked that it wasn't as predictable as I first thought. I do think there were things that weren't handled as well (her friend's fertility issues and his mom's diagnoses). I can see it being turned into a movie.

Claire Tate  (limeadeinmyteacup) | 61 comments Lavaughn It took me a while to get into the"The Man who didn't call" but i must say I'm glad i stuck with it. I realize that I kinda relate to stories set in England well.

I was wondering if that was the same book! I wonder why they changed the name. I'd have thought the term was known in both countries but I guess not...

Claire Tate  (limeadeinmyteacup) | 61 comments I'm burning through this book! Chapter 19 already.

Has anyone ever been 'ghosted'? I never dated in the age of social media. But I can understand how obsessive and anxiety inducing having so many different platforms to check could be.

It's definitely a double edged sword / mixed blessing for me... I live far from family and want to keep up with their lives. I certainly 'see' less of the family that don't use FB or equivalent. However, I also want to 'be more present' as they say, not constantly behind a camera or checking various messages..

I'm reading on now, desperate to discover Eddie & Sarah's secrets...

Christine | 5 comments I struggled with the first half of the book and with what I felt was an obsessed woman. Once things picked up I really enjoyed the book and the twists and turns it provided!

I enjoyed the subplot of her friends as well.

Jenni | 1 comments I enjoyed this book, and was surprised by the twists!

love.e.reads (lovee-reads) | 9 comments Claire wrote: "Lavaughn It took me a while to get into the"The Man who didn't call" but i must say I'm glad i stuck with it. I realize that I kinda relate to stories set in England well.

I was wondering if that ..."

I was wondering the same thing as well. I read an article on Rosie Walsh's website that explained the publisher's decision to change the title for the American release of the book.

Basically, it was a marketing move to appeal to wider audiences. Although the book was previously released in 21 other countries, I guess the American market has the most international influence and appeal. Maybe she's hoping for a movie deal to come out of it.

How did you like the book though?

love.e.reads (lovee-reads) | 9 comments Claire wrote: "I'm burning through this book! Chapter 19 already.

Has anyone ever been 'ghosted'? I never dated in the age of social media. But I can understand how obsessive and anxiety inducing having so many..."

I've never been ghosted but I can see how in today's social climate that such a situation can cause major anxiety.

How did you enjoy the book?

love.e.reads (lovee-reads) | 9 comments April wrote: "I finished this late last night. It definitely picked in the last half. I liked that it wasn't as predictable as I first thought. I do think there were things that weren't handled as well (her frie..."

I agree with you on it being possibly made into a movie.

Claire Tate  (limeadeinmyteacup) | 61 comments I loved the book!

I know the structure wasn't popular with everyone but I thought it really worked to keep you guessing and making assumptons that then allowed surprising twists. I think the complexity reflected how their lives were unusually interlinked.

I think I'd have been too prideful and worried about my self respect to chase someone who 'ghosted' me like that but maybe I'd have missed out!
Did anyone else feel like Sarah's emails/ messages were therapeutic? that it was good for her to tell her story even if he wasn't responding?

I liked how Eddie's therapy also involved letters. (No spoilers so I won't elaborate)

Claire Tate  (limeadeinmyteacup) | 61 comments And to continue the Jo / Jenni debate...

I'm sure I'd have been more cautious and protective in my advice to a friend like Jo was but I alsto think I could have offered support if a friend wanted to take the risk and persue love.

Claire Tate  (limeadeinmyteacup) | 61 comments April wrote: "I finished this late last night. It definitely picked in the last half. I liked that it wasn't as predictable as I first thought. I do think there were things that weren't handled as well (her frie..."

I didn't see a lot of the twists coming either! It felt predictable and then totally wasn't.

message 20: by Claire (last edited Feb 27, 2019 05:57AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Claire Tate  (limeadeinmyteacup) | 61 comments February is nearly over and before I'm lost back in Jamie and Claire's adventures I thought I'd post a few questions that people might like to discuss... now I'm getting to grips with the Good Reads format and all that! I'll post each one separately so that you can hit the reply button (I can only see this on my laptop btw, not the app) if you like and try and make a conversation from them.

Claire Tate  (limeadeinmyteacup) | 61 comments Firstly,

Technology is a key theme in the first part of this book. Do you think it was good that Eddie was inevitably so traceable? How trackable are you? Does this bother you?

Claire Tate  (limeadeinmyteacup) | 61 comments Secondly,
The structure of the novel is fairly complicated hopping around in time and viewpoint. It allowed her to drip feed stories a bit at a time and produce some major twists (I didn't see the truth about Hannah and Alex coming!). Did you at any point feel deliberately misled? If so, did this bother you?

Claire Tate  (limeadeinmyteacup) | 61 comments Also,
Did you feel the anonymous letters added to the novel? Did you work out who they were from before the reveal? (I didn't)

Claire Tate  (limeadeinmyteacup) | 61 comments Next!
There were a number of very tense relationships in this book. Someone already mentioned they'd have liked to see Sarah and Jenni's issue explored more. Why do you think things were so difficult between Eddie and his Mom? Would you have made different choices in his shoes?

Claire Tate  (limeadeinmyteacup) | 61 comments And finally from me...
The theme of forgiveness ran through out this novel for me - both of the self and others. How important is it to be able to forgive? Are there things that are unforgivable? Is it possible to move on without forgiveness?

love.e.reads (lovee-reads) | 9 comments Claire wrote: "Also,
Did you feel the anonymous letters added to the novel? Did you work out who they were from before the reveal? (I didn't)"

They confused me at first and yes it did add to the novel in my opinion. When the reveal was made, it was a definite OMG moment for me.

love.e.reads (lovee-reads) | 9 comments Claire wrote: "And finally from me...
The theme of forgiveness ran through out this novel for me - both of the self and others. How important is it to be able to forgive? Are there things that are unforgivable? I..."

It is possible to move forward without forgiveness but something always suffers, especially when we are unable to forgive ourselves. I thought when she didn't have children it was because of physical constraints nit because of self-punishment.

Claire Tate  (limeadeinmyteacup) | 61 comments Lavaughn wrote: "Claire wrote: "Also,
Did you feel the anonymous letters added to the novel? Did you work out who they were from before the reveal? (I didn't)"

They confused me at first and yes it did add to the n..."

Me too!

Julia Damberger | 2 comments SPOILER ALERT: Ok, so I am just over half way thru this book, and got to the part where Sarah is going to tell Eddie what happened the day of the accident, and then MY LUNCH BREAK ENDED AND I HAD TO GO BACK TO WORK. NOOOOOOOOO.........to be continued. But I thought you all would be able to sympathize with this lol.