Women of the World discussion

Book Talk > Virago Books

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty (kirstyonbooks) | 427 comments Mod
I’m sure, joining a book club such as this, that you’re already familiar with those lovely green-spined Virago Modern Classics! As their books are written solely by women, or those who identify as women, it seems obvious to create a thread about them here.

Which are your favourite Virago publications? Are you working your way through their back catalogue? Which Virago titles would you like to see us add to the group reading list?

message 2: by Kirsty (new)

Mimi wrote: "I'm semi working through the back catalogue really focusing on the writers I've never read or those I particularly want to read. I would have to reflect for a while longer on group reads."

I’ve been doing the same for around the last decade; it’s dddinitelt a work in progress! I really need to finish ‘Pilgrimage’, but i’ve Found the last few volumes very difficult to get hold of, unfortunately. They had a couple of bind-ups in my Uni library, but they were falling apart.

message 3: by Laura Anne (new)

Laura Anne (loranne) Hi I also collect Viragos, the Green ones - and have just discovered that they are actually collector items - I mean that other people also prize them.
Yay Mimi - Zora Neale Hurston - I think I died and went to heaven when I read that for the first time.

message 4: by Kirsty (new)

Mimi wrote: "Think this may be it
http://neglectedbooks.com/?tag=doroth..."

Fantastic, thank you so much!

message 5: by Kirsty (new)

Laura wrote: "Hi I also collect Viragos, the Green ones - and have just discovered that they are actually collector items - I mean that other people also prize them.
Yay Mimi - Zora Neale Hurston - I think I die..."

I really need to try rereading Their Eyes Were Watching God on the recommendation of you both. I tried it a couple of years ago, but ended up putting it down for some reason!

message 6: by Laura Anne (new)

Laura Anne (loranne) Hi, Rosamund Lehman - Invitation to the Waltz - my first Virago - I bought for myself.
I live in Cyprus, so all my Viragos have come from second-hand shops - expats reading them.
Favourites - Antonia White - Frost In May
Rebecca West - This Real Night
Rose Macaulay - This Bitter World - not correct, forgotten title
Olivia Manning - The Doves of Venus
Shena McKay - Music Upstairs
I didn't know anyone collected, I just grab them wherever I see them, because to me - they are diamonds and gold - because of what they were doing/presenting to the world about women and ability - talent - genius.

message 7: by Laura Anne (new)

Laura Anne (loranne) "Mooched around in a state of yearning" - yeh I did a lot of that!! 50 cents from the second-hand now.

message 8: by Laura Anne (new)

Laura Anne (loranne) yes - The World My Wilderness!!! So Good.

message 9: by Laura Anne (new)

Laura Anne (loranne) I was disappointed when I joined the Virago group - the last tag was very old, at least last time I checked. I suppose that's what happens, a sort of cycle of interest.

message 10: by Kirsty (new)

Thanks for the film suggestion, Mimi; I’ll see if I can find a copy.

Fantastic list, Laura! It’s great that you’re able to get Viragos so cheaply. Like Mimi, I often pick them up if I see them in charity shops, or order them online. There sadly aren’t many of them available in my local library, particularly the out of print titles.