2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2019 > Nethra's Homecoming

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nethra (last edited Dec 04, 2018 02:00AM) (new)

Nethra Ram (nethraram) | 371 comments Hello everyone! This year, I'm freezing the credit cards. I've vowed to make 2019 a no-book-purchase year. I'll be turning 31 this year, and I want to make a complete overhaul of many areas of my life including my reading choices. I want to clear up the cache I've built, both emotional and TBR. So, I'll be reading exclusively from the collections I already own. When I'm done with a book, if I don't want to hold onto it forever, I hope to pass it on to some other soul who'd appreciate it. Like Harold Fry, I hope this pilgrimage of mine will take me to some truly special places. Fingers crossed. :)

P.S: I will still be buying books to gift to other people. Can't say no to that!

message 2: by Ilona, Global Moderator (new)

Ilona | 3987 comments That is a great goal Nethra! I really admire that you are able stop buying books! have you checked our Clear the Shelves challenge( https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...)? It fits your goal perfectly!

message 3: by Nethra (new)

Nethra Ram (nethraram) | 371 comments Ilona wrote: "That is a great goal Nethra! I really admire that you are able stop buying books! have you checked our Clear the Shelves challenge( https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...--..."

This is perfect! Thank you Ilona :) <3

message 4: by Nethra (new)

Nethra Ram (nethraram) | 371 comments Book #1: Awaken the Durga Within by Usha Narayanan

This book was only okay-ish. While it aimed to show women that they do not need patriarchy to build their identities, it still spoke of mythology with stories that involved riding to wars on lions, sages beseeching gods, and blunt answers that make no sense but are still pursued seriously for the heck of it. I think feminism will be better off if we cut the stories and start talking about actual behaviors. I don't want to be Durga with an assortment of weapons. I just need society to leave me alone, and stuff it's expectations up it's own you-know-where.

message 5: by Nethra (new)

Nethra Ram (nethraram) | 371 comments Book #2: The Laws of Human Nature by Robert Greene

Whoa! That took me forever to finish because of the sheer volume of existential information covered. Sigh. Humans. I'm going to do the paperback version as well, and highlight the crap out of it.

message 6: by Nethra (new)

Nethra Ram (nethraram) | 371 comments Book #3: The Artists's Way by Julia Cameron

I prefer to not rate or review a self-help book based on it's general merits because I feel self-help is a very subjective matter.

That said, I could relate to a lot of things that were discussed in this book, and I'm still in a bit of denial that I'm an artist too. It's a painful process but a necessary one of self-awareness whether you end up nurturing the artist within you or not. This is also my year of personal upheaval and questioning everything about life so this book fits rightly into the churn. Call it cliche or karma as you will.

message 7: by Nethra (new)

Nethra Ram (nethraram) | 371 comments Book #4: 21 Lessons for the 21st Century (Audible Audio)
by Yuval Noah Harari

So many of the things I had pondered and thought I'd understood were validated by this book. Should I be relieved by that story or am I doomed?

message 8: by Nethra (new)

Nethra Ram (nethraram) | 371 comments Book #5: Watchers at the Pond by Franklin Russell

What a wonderful book! I loved every word of it. Was it perhaps because there were no humans in it explaining things, and talking all over the place? This book made me feel deeply secure about death. It made me see that death and pain aren't pain points exclusive to humans. I love this book dearly now.

message 9: by Nethra (new)

Nethra Ram (nethraram) | 371 comments Book #6: Digital Minimalism: Choosing a Focused Life in a Noisy World by Cal Newport

I expected so much more from this book. I hoped that this book will be a definitive treatise on everything digital and a how-to for handling it. As someone who already agrees with the premise, I kinda felt that this book was preaching to the choir with no new notes thrown in. Disappointing, really. :(

I also think I should've read this book as a paperback or ebook. Buying the audiobook was a mistake. I felt the narration took away some of the appeal.

message 10: by Nethra (new)

Nethra Ram (nethraram) | 371 comments Book #7 - Girls in Pants: The Third Summer of the Sisterhood
by Ann Brashares

I really liked this book and the gang. It's well written for its genre.

message 11: by Nethra (new)

Nethra Ram (nethraram) | 371 comments Book #8 - The Courage To Be Disliked: How to free yourself, change your life and achieve real happiness by Ichiro Kishimi

I loved this book. This is my first foray into Adler's philosophy, and I stand to learn a lot.

message 12: by Nethra (new)

Nethra Ram (nethraram) | 371 comments Book #9 - How to Break Up with Your Phone: The 30-Day Plan to Take Back Your Life by Catherine Price

I love this book because it is well written, logical, and immersive. It validated every single thing I've been doing on my own to detach from my phone. I could've as well been one of the featured guinea pigs. :D

message 13: by Nethra (new)

Nethra Ram (nethraram) | 371 comments Book #10 - The Simple Truth by David Baldacci

A 100 pages in, and I am dreadfully bored. Detail, detail, detail. That's just a very annoying way to develop suspense. I'd rather not know what happens eventually after about 400 more pages, thanks.

message 14: by Nethra (new)

Nethra Ram (nethraram) | 371 comments Book #11 - Crazy Rich Asians (Crazy Rich Asians, #1)
by Kevin Kwan

A kinda amusing fun read that quickly turns into cliche cop outs and smooth convenient endings. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it, but found the last few chapters disappointing. I didn't find the relationship crisis convincing either.

message 15: by Nethra (new)

Nethra Ram (nethraram) | 371 comments Book #12 - I Thought It Was Just Me: Women Reclaiming Power and Courage in a Culture of Shame by Brené Brown

I needed to know this. I only wish I'd come across this book much earlier.

message 16: by Nethra (new)

Nethra Ram (nethraram) | 371 comments Book #13 - The Golden Compass by Phillip Pullman

I didn't find anything new. All fantasy stories follow the same yarn, I guess. Some different terminology here, some attempt at language and accents there. Otherwise, it's the same pattern - cast aways or entitled children coming into knowledge/power to fight corruption, expected betrayals, and animals that act fantastic. I found the demon aspect a little annoying. What value add was it? There seems to be no other way to tell a fantastic story anymore.

message 17: by Nethra (new)

Nethra Ram (nethraram) | 371 comments Book #14 - The Rosie Result (Don Tillman, #3) by Graeme Simsion

I love this whole series. It speaks to me. I'm so glad I picked this one up. <3

message 18: by Nethra (new)

Nethra Ram (nethraram) | 371 comments Book #15 - The Birth of Kali by Anita Sivakumaran

I really liked this collection. Some of the narratives were excellent, and some bizarre, but overall something that thankfully treads a path that is off the well-beaten contemporary Indian Mythology track.

message 19: by Nethra (new)

Nethra Ram (nethraram) | 371 comments Book #16 - A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

I did like the humor at most places but I have realized that the intentional aha! hyperbole that accompanies literature does no good to my world-opinion filters being of an overtly sensitive temperament already. So, I can't say I cared much for Dickens trying to demonize a loner and exalt the poor as being of pure hearts and motivations.

message 20: by Nethra (new)

Nethra Ram (nethraram) | 371 comments Book #17 - The Dalai Lama's Cat by David Michie

I absolutely loved this book! Every word of it. <3

message 21: by Nethra (new)

Nethra Ram (nethraram) | 371 comments Book #18 - Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman

Just not in my taste. Abuse and emotional stuff doesn't sit well with me already, and this one dragged for quite a bit getting to the point, so...DNF-ed it.

message 22: by Nethra (new)

Nethra Ram (nethraram) | 371 comments Book #19 - OPEN-EYED MEDITATIONS Practical Wisdom for Everyday Life by Shubha Vilas

Meh.

message 23: by Nethra (new)

Nethra Ram (nethraram) | 371 comments Book #20 - The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein

I have decided to not finish this book. I did not like the way the dog was portrayed as a human, as wanting to be reborn as human and such. That's just not my idea of dogs. Why do we humans need to project our own selves on everything in sight? The racing thing just did not click for me. Overall, I came away from this book, pretty disappointed.

message 24: by Nethra (new)

Nethra Ram (nethraram) | 371 comments Book #21 - The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh

This book went and hugged that deep corner of my heart where I have a lot of pain stored up. And guilt. And remorse. And love.

message 25: by Nethra (new)

Nethra Ram (nethraram) | 371 comments Book #22 - Opening Up by Writing It Down, Third Edition: How Expressive Writing Improves Health and Eases Emotional Pain by James W. Pennebaker

This was an okay book. I learned things I did not know before.

message 26: by Nethra (new)

Nethra Ram (nethraram) | 371 comments Book #23 - The Art of Stillness by Pico Iyer

Books about travel and meditation cause such envy in me. This is is no different. :)

message 27: by Nethra (new)

Nethra Ram (nethraram) | 371 comments Book #24 - The Science of Enlightenment by Shinzen Young

A brilliant treatise on the science behind mindfulness.

message 28: by Nethra (new)

Nethra Ram (nethraram) | 371 comments Book #25 - Heads You Win by Jeffrey Archer

It was okay. Nothing mind blowing here for me.

message 29: by Nethra (new)

Nethra Ram (nethraram) | 371 comments Hey look at that! I finished my challenge. :) Yay! I'm gonna continue reading more though. Let's see how many I can manage.

message 30: by Ilona, Global Moderator (new)

Ilona | 3987 comments Congratulations Nethra!! :)