Harlequin Presents Readers discussion

General Info About HP Books > What is going on???

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shayla (new)

Shayla (redsonja84) | 10 comments Why am I seeing so many HP's having a NEW description that says to the effect

This Book by This Author is now available for purchase. Enter Date Here.

Why are they being changed to such a useless pile of information??

message 2: by Rgreader (new)

Rgreader | 2 comments I think they probably want you to go to the Harlequin site to get the additional info.

message 3: by Shayla (new)

Shayla (redsonja84) | 10 comments I don't even understand why. I'm going to Google it...and I rarely buy directly from Harlequin.
Also, WHO is doing it?

message 4: by Shayla (new)

Shayla (redsonja84) | 10 comments Also it uses the original pub dates... Like June 1976.

message 5: by Rgreader (new)

Rgreader | 2 comments Shayla wrote: "Also it uses the original pub dates... Like June 1976."

I don't have any other answer! I subscribe to HP so i know what's coming soon. whoever is inputting the Harlequin books probably just has the title, date published and ISBN number.

message 6: by KC (last edited Dec 04, 2018 10:08AM) (new)

KC (livingwithmyshelf) | 42 comments Thanks for bringing this up. I noticed these changes have mostly only affected the paperback edition. I have editing rights as a GR librarian and checked the Edit Log for "The Stephanides Pregnancy", for example:

onix ingram updated the book The Stephanides Pregnancy by Lynne Graham description: to 'The Stephanides Pregnancy by Lynne Graham released on Apr 23, 2004 is available now for purchase.'

Sometimes this user is noted as "onix ingram harlequin" as well, so I can only assume they are an official representative from Harlequin. And unlike other regular librarians, there's no link to their profile.

As a fellow librarian, you might get a better answer if you were to pose this in the Goodreads Librarian discussion boards too. Someone there might have the bigger picture. I hope so. The generic description isn't helpful at all. It's obvious these books are already on sale!

message 7: by Shayla (new)

message 8: by KC (new)

KC (livingwithmyshelf) | 42 comments Ugh! So annoying. What's to guarantee onix won't "attack" again after we've corrected its mistakes? It's changing book titles too, not just the blurbs.

message 9: by boogenhagen (new)

boogenhagen | 305 comments It is annoying as all get out. I have spent YEARS adding the blurbs to a lot of these and now I have to do them all over again. *unhappy sigh and skillet smash*

message 10: by KatieV (new)

KatieV | 141 comments I've wondered for years when the Terminator 'judgement day' would strike and bots would take over the world, enslave us, and bring on a nuclear winter. I never thought they'd stoop to messing with our HPs though. I'm very disappointed (and crazily overworked to the point of being plain silly).

Seriously, I have spent a lot of time correcting book descriptions/titles/etc as a librarian as well and this is damn annoying. Bring on boog's skillet!!

message 11: by Melanie♥ (new)

Melanie♥ (meliaann) | 180 comments I have also changed dozens of descriptions away from that available for purchase garbage! Most of time there is a description in one of the other editions, but what a shame this has happened!

message 12: by Melanie♥ (new)

Melanie♥ (meliaann) | 180 comments I just sent an email to GR support. I'll report back if they reply.

message 13: by boogenhagen (new)

boogenhagen | 305 comments I can see it now, the GR staff is cringing over angry HPlandia ladies having their books messed with. LOL :)

message 14: by Melanie♥ (new)

Melanie♥ (meliaann) | 180 comments Already have a reply:

Thanks for writing in! It worth noting that most of our records are imported from the major publishers and distributors who transfer their metadata to our ONIX FTP server. When new information is imported, it will generate a note as "onix ingram" such as the one the Librarian "KC" was mentioning on the thread, specifically on the message 6.

Normally when new information is imported to the site, it doesn't override existing data, it creates instead, different edition(s) of the book as they become available. To give you an example of this, we can see how on the book "The Stephanides Pregnancy" there are many editions available

The edition that has been recently added has a different book cover and description indeed, but the other editions remain the same. See links for reference:

Newest addition with cover and description as is listed on Amazon:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6...

If you would like to compare the information with Amazon click here.

If you check the other editions, they have their corresponding description and covers. See for example:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

I hope this information helps to clarify a bit your concern with regards to this particular behaviour. If you have any other questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best,
Brian

--
Brian R.
Goodreads Expert

message 15: by Shayla (new)

Shayla (redsonja84) | 10 comments So they don't care, and it's going to keep importing the Amazon "IT'S FOR SALE NOW!" desc. instead of the proper one.

PLEASE STAB ME.

message 16: by Shayla (new)

Shayla (redsonja84) | 10 comments Also, I use the Goodreads desc. for my calibre install.. I guess I have to find a better one.... and NOT Amazon!

message 17: by boogenhagen (new)

boogenhagen | 305 comments Shayla wrote: "Also, I use the Goodreads desc. for my calibre install.. I guess I have to find a better one.... and NOT Amazon!"

Try the fictiondb metadata link for Calibre imports, it usually has the correct description and cover.