Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2019 Classic Bingo Challenge > Erin’s 2019 Classic Bingo Challenge

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erin (last edited Feb 24, 2019 07:07PM) (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 609 comments We’ll see if I can’t get a blackout this year! :)

➜ = in progress

B1 18th Century Classic - The Crab-Flower Club by Cao Xueqin
B2 Book Chosen by Cover - The Tale of the Heike
The Tale of the Heike by Anonymous
B3 European Classic - The Wreath by Sigrid Undset
B4 Telegraph’s 100 Novels - The Tale of Genji by Murasaki Shikibu
B5 20th Century Classic - Ice by Anna Kavan

I1 Book from Group Bookshelf (pre-2019) - Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier
I2 New-to-You Author - The Custom of the Country by Edith Wharton
I3 Classic Play - The Peony Pavilion: Mudan ting by Tang Xianzu
I4 Literary Prize of Your Country - The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan
I5 Classic on Bookshelf Over a Year - TBA - I’ll make this one of my last spots as I didn’t have that many unread classics on my bookshelf until I bought so many books over the past year; now I just have to “age” them a bit before they can qualify, lol! 😂

N1 South American Classic - Epitaph of a Small Winner by Machado de Assis
N2 Short Story Collection - Ficciones by Jorge Luis Borges
N3 FREE SPACE
N4 Poetry or Essay Collection - Spring Essence: The Poetry of Hô Xuân Huong by Hồ Xuân Hương
N5 Asian Classic - Beauty and Sadness by Yasunari Kawabata

G1 Foreign Literary Prize - The Waiting Years by Fumiko Enchi (winner of the Noma Literary Prize) (finished Jan 16th)
G2 Classic by Female Author - Half a Lifelong Romance by Eileen Chang
G3 Classic Nonfiction - The Pillow Book by Sei Shōnagon
G4 Written by a Nobel Laureate - Gösta Berling's Saga by Selma Lagerlöf
G5 Book from Group’s 2019 Bookshelf - Eugene Onegin by Alexander Pushkin (March group read)

O1 19th Century Classic - Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë
O2 Classic Sci-fi or Fantasy - Lud-in-the-Mist by Hope Mirrlees
O3 Classic Comedy or Satire - The Scholars by Wu Jingzi
O4 Classic Romance - Possession by A.S. Byatt
O5 21st Century Potential Classic - Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

message 2: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2595 comments Ha ha, it's nice to see we have 'Spring Essence' in common. Lots of good reads that I've partaken of among your picks as well.

message 3: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 609 comments I found out about ‘Spring Essence’ — and many more books now on my TBR list — from you! 😊 Looking forward to reading these! 😁

message 4: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2054 comments Wow!your plannings done then,Erin.
Happy Reading!
Yeah..Aubreys list is an inspiration.

message 5: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2054 comments Love your idea of aging the books 😉

message 6: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9559 comments Mod
Welcome to the challenge Erin. Love the "aged" books!

message 7: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 609 comments siriusedward wrote: "Love your idea of aging the books 😉"

Katy wrote: "Welcome to the challenge Erin. Love the "aged" books!"

Thank you! 😅

message 8: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 609 comments The Waiting Years by Fumiko Enchi is a wonderful book, profoundly sad, but more than that I was struck by the vivid complex characters and the strength of the heroine of the novel.

As winner of the Noma Literary Prize, I am counting this for G1 but it could also count for B5, N5, G2 and probably I2 as well. Recommended for everyone!

message 9: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9559 comments Mod
Erin wrote: "The Waiting Years by Fumiko Enchi is a wonderful book, profoundly sad, but more than that I was struck by the vivid complex characters and the strength of the heroine ..."

I think I may have a copy of this book. Now to find & read it. Thanks for the recommendation.

message 10: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 966 comments Erin wrote: "The Waiting Years by Fumiko Enchi is a wonderful book, profoundly sad, but more than that I was struck by the vivid complex characters and the strength of the heroine ..."

Sounds really interesting.
Great start to your bingo too :0)

message 11: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3953 comments It sounds like you're off to a wonderful start, Erin. I'm still trying to find a library copy of this book, and not having any luck. Your comments make me committed to reading it though!

message 12: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 609 comments Katy wrote: "Erin wrote: "The Waiting Years by Fumiko Enchi is a wonderful book, profoundly sad, but more than that I was struck by the vivid complex characters and the strength of..."

Thank you! I hope you do find and read it! :)

Veronique wrote: "Erin wrote: "The Waiting Years by Fumiko Enchi is a wonderful book, profoundly sad, but more than that I was struck by the vivid complex characters and the strength of..."

Thank you! :)

Kathleen wrote: "It sounds like you're off to a wonderful start, Erin. I'm still trying to find a library copy of this book, and not having any luck. Your comments make me committed to reading it though!"

Thank you! I’m looking forward to a year of varied reading! :)
Does your library do interlibrary loans? My library did not have the book either but thankfully I was able to borrow it from out-of-state.

message 13: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3953 comments Erin wrote: "Thank you! I’m looking forward to a year of varied reading! :)
Does your library do interlibrary loans? My library did not have the book either but thankfully I was able to borrow it from out-of-state."

I'm looking forward to your year of varied reading too. :-)

I exhausted what my library can find, but now that you mention it, there might be something available with my university library. I'll try that--thanks!

message 14: by Brina (new)

Brina I enjoyed The Waiting Year’s as well. Seeing that you have Adichie and Tan on your challenge, I am envious. They are two of my favorites.

message 15: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 609 comments Kathleen wrote: "Erin wrote: "Thank you! I’m looking forward to a year of varied reading! :)
Does your library do interlibrary loans? My library did not have the book either but thankfully I was able to borrow it f..."

I hope you are able to get a copy through your university! I do wish that ‘The Waiting Years’ was back in print and that more of Fumiko Enchi’s work would be translated!

Brina wrote: "I enjoyed The Waiting Year’s as well. Seeing that you have Adichie and Tan on your challenge, I am envious. They are two of my favorites."

I’m glad to hear it! I am very much looking forward to reading them! :)

message 16: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

Lynn (lynnsreads) | 3291 comments Mod
Erin wrote: "The Waiting Years by Fumiko Enchi is a wonderful book, profoundly sad, but more than that I was struck by the vivid complex characters and the strength of the heroine ..."

This sounds really interesting. Congratulations on your progress so far.

message 17: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 609 comments Lynn wrote: "Erin wrote: "The Waiting Years by Fumiko Enchi is a wonderful book, profoundly sad, but more than that I was struck by the vivid complex characters and the strength of..."

Thank you! :)

message 18: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 609 comments Oooh, so many group reads this month for books I want to read! =D

I’m going to read Eugene Onegin and The Joy Luck Club for sure, maybe Chess Story too. If I hadn’t read Pride and Prejudice recently, I read that one too as it’s one of my favorites! ^_^