Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2019 Quest for Women Authors > Erin’s 2019 Quest for Women Authors Around the World

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erin (last edited Feb 13, 2019 07:11AM) (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 609 comments Century challenge plus decade with one previously read author (Daphne du Maurier) and the rest new to me, with the added challenge that each author must be from a different country (repeats allowed between but not within each list):

= in progress

Women Authors Around the World Century Challenge
1880’s Memoirs of an Arabian Princess from Zanzibar by Emily Ruete (1886) (Zanzibar)
1890’s Gösta Berling's Saga by Selma Lagerlöf (1891) (Sweden)
1900’s Sultana's Dream by Rokeya Sakhawat Hossain (1905) (Bangladesh)
1910’s The Custom of the Country by Edith Wharton (1913) (United States)
1920’s The Wreath by Sigrid Undset (1920) (Norway)
1930’s Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (1938) (United Kingdom)
1940’s Half a Lifelong Romance by Eileen Chang (1948) (China)
1950’s The Waiting Years by Fumiko Enchi (1957) (Japan) (finished Jan 16th)
1960’s Ice by Anna Kavan (1967) (France)
1970’s Our Sister Killjoy by Ama Ata Aidoo (1977) (Ghana) (finished Jan 24th)

Women Authors Around the World Decade Challenge
1987 Te Kaihau: The Windeater by Keri Hulme (New Zealand)
1988 Nervous Conditions by Tsitsi Dangarembga (Zimbabwe)
1989 The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan (United States) (March group read)
1990 Possession by A.S. Byatt (United Kingdom)
1991 Novel Without a Name by Dương Thu Hương (Vietnam)
1992 Daughter of Persia: A Woman's Journey from Her Father's Harem Through the Islamic Revolution (Iran)
1993 Red Azalea by Anchee Min (China)
1994 In the Time of the Butterflies by Julia Alvarez (Dominican Republic)
1995 Krik? Krak! by Edwidge Danticat (Haiti)
1996 Last Words from Montmartre by Qiu Miaojin (Taiwan) (finished Feb 13th)

Attempting both on top of my other challenges is probably overly ambitious but we’ll see! 😁

message 2: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9434 comments Mod
Nice list!

message 3: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 609 comments Katy wrote: "Nice list!"

Thank you! I really enjoy this group’s challenges! 😊

message 4: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2518 comments Katy wrote: "Nice list!"

Agreed!

message 5: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3804 comments Beautiful! Enjoy your travels, Erin. :-)

message 6: by Erin (last edited Dec 04, 2018 07:30AM) (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 609 comments Kathleen wrote: "Beautiful! Enjoy your travels, Erin. :-)"

Aubrey wrote: "Katy wrote: "Nice list!"

Agreed!"

Thank you both! 😊

And thank goodness for inter-library loans! I was surprised at how many of these books weren’t readily available either in print (not counting buying used of questionable condition), Kindle or city library but thankfully, I can get any such through inter-library loan! 😃

message 7: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3183 comments I love this challenge! I'd love to do an around the world type challenge some time and when I do I'll be looking to this for ideas. Great job Erin.

message 8: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 609 comments Sue wrote: "I love this challenge! I'd love to do an around the world type challenge some time and when I do I'll be looking to this for ideas. Great job Erin."

Thank you so much! 😊 I would recommend also checking out the lists in “Never-Ending Country Challenge” thread if you haven’t already — lots of great ideas there! 😃

message 9: by Carolien (new)

Carolien (carolien_s) | 502 comments What an interesting selection of books. Hope you get to lots of them.

message 10: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2518 comments You have so many good books in your decade, Erin! I'm jealous! Sometimes I think I read too quickly and run out of the good ones...

message 11: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
I've only read Rebecca. It's first rate, really good.

message 12: by Erin (last edited Dec 22, 2018 04:10PM) (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 609 comments Bob wrote: "I've only read Rebecca. It's first rate, really good."

I’ve been wanting to read it since reading ‘My Cousin Rachel’ for my 2018 Women Authors challenge— I’m looking forward to it! 😃

Aubrey wrote: "You have so many good books in your decade, Erin! I'm jealous! Sometimes I think I read too quickly and run out of the good ones..."

Carolien wrote: "What an interesting selection of books. Hope you get to lots of them."

Thank you both and I hope so too! 😁

message 13: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2052 comments Nice list,Erin.
,Hope you enjoy the books.
:)

message 14: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 770 comments Good luck with the challenge, Erin! I adore Rebecca - hope you love it! Edith Wharton is always a great choice. I'll be reading The Wreath in 2019 too :)

message 15: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 609 comments siriusedward wrote: "Nice list,Erin.
,Hope you enjoy the books.
:)"

Candi wrote: "Good luck with the challenge, Erin! I adore Rebecca - hope you love it! Edith Wharton is always a great choice. I'll be reading The Wreath in 2019 too :)"

Thank you both! 😊 I’m looking forward to all of these and have read much praise of ‘Rebecca’ and ‘The Wreath’!

I shall have to start without delay at the turn of the year as three of my interlibrary loans have already come in — I had expected it to take longer or maybe I was just excited! 😂

message 16: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 609 comments I started the year reading The Saga of Gösta Berling and it is an interesting read, but not one that I would enjoy reading long stretches at once, perhaps because it is more a series of episodes and sketches rather than a continuing story or character that would draw me in. This is not a criticism — I have not read near enough yet to have an opinion of the whole — only I took a break when I had to return my library book and wait to receive my purchased copy! In the meantime...

I read The Waiting Years, which is set in Meiji era Japan. It is a wonderful book, profoundly sad, but more than that I was struck by the vivid complex characters and the strength of the heroine of the novel. Indeed, it was the characters who drew me in from the start and compelled me to read on. Highly recommended!

I read Our Sister Killjoy which I felt started out interesting and I felt some of the author’s prose poetry was quite beautiful and effective. However, I felt that all pretense of character or story was dropped by the midpoint and turned into a diatribe against everyone and everything European. I am not criticizing that viewpoint, although I am not happy about any whole group of people demonized and othered, regardless of who did what first, but I certainly can not fault an African woman for having that viewpoint and certainly literature has been unbalanced. It is the feel and tone of the work as a whole that I felt suffered for this shift; I feel that it would have been more effective to show how the character came to have these views, bring us to connect with the character and see things through her eyes, and when the author did do this, I quite enjoyed it. But I realize that I am not whom the book was written for.

message 17: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 609 comments Last night I finished Last Words from Montmartre by Qiu Miaojin — definitely going to read more of her work! =)