Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2019 Classic Bingo Challenge > Terris's 2019 Classic Bingo Challenge - Going for the Black Out!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 194 (194 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Terris (last edited Dec 31, 2019 03:51PM) (new)

Terris | 2425 comments I think this is it! Can't wait to get started :)

B1: 18th Century or Earlier Classic - The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling by Henry Fielding, 7-28-19, 4****s
B2: Book Chosen by the Cover - Time and Again Time and Again (Time, #1) by Jack Finney by Jack Finney, 9-1-19, 4****s
B3: European Classic - The Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy, 5-25-19, 4****s
B4: Telegraph’s 100 Novels List - Germinal by Emile Zola, 6-26-19, 4****s
B5: 20th Century Classic - The Caine Mutiny by Herman Wouk, 7-30-19, 4****s

I1: Book from the Group’s Bookshelf Prior to 2019 - For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway, 12-31-19, 3***s
I2: New-to-You Author - Swallows and Amazons by Arthur Ransome, 8-21-19, 4****s
I3: Classic Play - The Admirable Crichton by J.M. Barrie, 1-4-19, 4****s
I4: Literary Prize of Your Country - The Yearling by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings, 9-3-19, 5*****s
I5: Classic on Your Bookshelf For over a Year - Where Angels Fear to Tread by E.M. Forster, 12/3/19, 3***s

N1: South American Classic - Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1-17-19, 3***s
N2: Short Story Collection - Fidelityby Wendell Berry, 8-7-19, 4****s
N3: FREE SPACE - It by Stephen King, 4-19-19, 4****s
N4: Poetry or Essay Collection - Spoon River Anthology by Edgar Lee Masters, 8-2-19, 3***s
N5: Asian Classic - The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy, 4-21-19, 3***s

G1: Winner of a Foreign Literary Prize - Oscar and Lucinda by Peter Carey, 10-8-19, 3***s
G2: Classic By a Female Author - Daniel Deronda by George Eliot, 2-21-19, 3***s
G3: Classic Non-fiction - The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin by Benjamin Franklin, 1-22-19, 4****s
G4: Written by Nobel Laureate - Dodsworth by Sinclair Lewis, 12-21-19, 4****s
G5: Book from the Group’s 2019 Bookshelf - The Postman Always Rings Twice by James M. Cain, 1-15-19, 3***s

O1: 19th Century Classic - Bleak House by Charles Dickens, 3-25-19, 5*****s
O2: Classic Sci-fi or Fantasy - From the Earth to the Moon by Jules Verne, 1-16-19, 3***s
O3: Classic Comedy or Satire - The Diary of a Nobody by George and Weedon Grossmith, 2-9-19, 4****s
O4: Classic Romance - Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell, 7-25-19, 4****s
O5: 21st Century Potential Classic - Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides, 4-30-19, 4****s

The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling by Henry Fielding For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel García Márquez Oscar and Lucinda by Peter Carey Bleak House by Charles Dickens
Time and Again (Time, #1) by Jack Finney Swallows and Amazons (Swallows and Amazons, #1) by Arthur Ransome Fidelity by Wendell Berry Daniel Deronda by George Eliot From the Earth to the Moon (Extraordinary Voyages, #4) by Jules Verne
The Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy The Admirable Crichton  by J.M. Barrie It by Stephen King The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin by Benjamin Franklin The Diary of a Nobody by George Grossmith
Germinal by Émile Zola The Yearling by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings Spoon River Anthology by Edgar Lee Masters Dodsworth by Sinclair Lewis Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell
The Caine Mutiny by Herman Wouk Where Angels Fear to Tread by E.M. Forster The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy The Postman Always Rings Twice by James M. Cain Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides

message 2: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2425 comments This is what I have come up with so far. If anyone has
recommendations for my undesignated categories please feel free to make suggestions! I welcome your input :)

message 3: by Matt (new)

Matt (mmullerm) | 820 comments Great start, Terris! You have some great choices in your list.

message 4: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

Lynn (lynnsreads) | 3059 comments Mod
Looks good! I really want to read The Yearling someday. There are just too many good books!! Have fun.

message 5: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2425 comments Thanks, Matt & Helen! I'm really looking forward to getting started :)

message 6: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9434 comments Mod
Looking good for a plan. I hope you have fun with this one.

message 7: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 852 comments Some really good choices here. Germinal is on my bingo board this year and Bleak House is one I will get to at some point.

message 8: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2425 comments Those were both on my list last year and I never got to them! I'll try again!! :)

message 9: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1556 comments You have an interesting list of books, Terris. Good luck on your challenge.

message 10: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2425 comments Thanks! I've already made some changes! But that's part of the fun of it ;)

message 11: by Susie (last edited Dec 06, 2018 05:01AM) (new)

Susie | 751 comments Bleak House might be my pick for the I5 square - longer than 1 year on my tbr shelf.

I figured we'd have some overlap, but this is just my first quick look at your list! 😉

message 12: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2425 comments Several people are talking about reading Bleak House next year. So I wouldn't be surprised if there was a group read or buddy read of it!

message 13: by Renee (new)

Renee | 864 comments Terris wrote: "Several people are talking about reading Bleak House next year. So I wouldn't be surprised if there was a group read or buddy read of it!"

I haven't set up my Bingo board yet, but it's going to be on my list.

message 14: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 852 comments Terris wrote: "Several people are talking about reading Bleak House next year. So I wouldn't be surprised if there was a group read or buddy read of it!"

It would be an option for me for square G5.

message 15: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

Lynn (lynnsreads) | 3059 comments Mod
Bleak House Two years ago I got halfway through. I stopped at a logical stopping place and then just never picked it up again. I did not intentionally quit. I would like to finish it in the future. It might make a nice quarter read.

message 16: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2425 comments Yes, I hope so. I think I'll wait a little bit to read it in case it comes up as a group read during the year :)

message 17: by MJ (new)

MJ | 184 comments Bleak House has been on my tbr for years. It would indeed make a nice quarter read!

message 18: by Renee (new)

Renee | 864 comments I think it was already a quarter read, so it can't be nominated for that category again.

message 19: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
Really well done and some wonderful choices.

message 20: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2425 comments Renee wrote: "I think it was already a quarter read, so it can't be nominated for that category again."

So maybe we'll have to do a buddy read! I've seen several people saying they want to read it this year :)

message 21: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2425 comments Bob wrote: "Really well done and some wonderful choices."

Thanks, Bob! :)

message 22: by Alia (new)

Alia | 228 comments Best of luck, Terris! Adding some of them to my own tbr. :)

message 23: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 5035 comments Mod
Great list, Terri. We have some overlaps again!

message 24: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2425 comments Sara wrote: "Great list, Terri. We have some overlaps again!"

Great minds.... ! ;)

message 25: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3180 comments Great list Terris! You have many on here that I'd love to read and Bleak House is one of my all time favorites.

message 26: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2425 comments Sue wrote: "Great list Terris! You have many on here that I'd love to read and Bleak House is one of my all time favorites."

Oh, good! I'm looking forward to it and I'm dreading it! It's so long! But I really like Dickens and I haven't read him for awhile. I'm hoping it gets picked for the February "revisit the shelf" vote! :)

message 27: by Samanta (new)

Samanta   (almacubana) | 227 comments I also made Love in the Time of Cholera my choice for the South American Classic

message 28: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2425 comments Samanta wrote: "I also made Love in the Time of Cholera my choice for the South American Classic"

I read One Hundred Years of Solitude a couple of years ago and it wasn't my favorite. But it was entertaining! I'm hoping this one will be OK, but I'm going to read it in January or I might just keep putting it off! Good luck -- hope you enjoy it!

message 29: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Sorry to say, I hated it, Terri. Repulsive to me. I wasn't a fan of One Hundred Years of Solitude, but the best thing about Love in the Time of Cholera is the title. I hope it works out better for you.

message 30: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2425 comments Sara wrote: "Sorry to say, I hated it, Terri. Repulsive to me. I wasn't a fan of One Hundred Years of Solitude, but the best thing about Love in the Time of Cholera is the title. I hope it works out better for ..."

La La La La!! ~~pats hands over ears~~
I can't hear you -- I can't hear you!!

You know I'll never read it if you say that! but count me as warned ;) Haha! :)

message 31: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2425 comments OK, I think I'm finalized and have a book for every category. Now, let's see if I can do this! ;)

message 32: by Susie (new)

Susie | 751 comments I think you can, I think you can...!

I just remembered our discussion about Bleak House so had to add it to my 'possibilities' list, but definitely not until at least April...or later!
Have fun!

message 33: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

lol. I'm sorry!

message 34: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2425 comments Sara wrote: "lol. I'm sorry!"

Hahaha! No problem at all! Sometimes when I expect a book to be awful, it turns out not to be quite as bad as my expectations. Right now my expectations are so low that you may have actually helped me a lot! (oh brother!) ;)

message 35: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2425 comments Susie wrote: "I think you can, I think you can...!

I just remembered our discussion about Bleak House so had to add it to my 'possibilities' list, but definitely not until at least April...or lat..."

Okay, we'll see what happens! :)

message 36: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2425 comments I3 - My first book on my Bingo card!
The Admirable Crichton  by J.M. Barrie
The Admirable Crichton by J.M. Barrie, 4****s
In this one J.M. Barrie (of Peter Pan fame!) tells the story (in play form) of an English family and a few of their servants, who get stranded on a deserted island for two years. The interesting part is the idea that in England the aristocracy was in charge and the servants loyally followed orders from them. However, on the island things are very different! So...what happens when they are rescued and all go back to England? Will everything/everyone go back to "normal"?
This funny, light but thoughtful play was interesting and entertaining at the same time. I really enjoyed it!

message 37: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1556 comments That was fast. 👍

message 38: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2425 comments Rosemarie wrote: "That was fast. 👍"

I started with a short one ;)

message 39: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Terris wrote: "I3 - My first book on my Bingo card!
In this one J.M. Barrie (of Peter Pan fame!) tells the s..."

It sounds good! You sold me, TBRd :p

message 40: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2425 comments MK wrote: "Terris wrote: "I3 - My first book on my Bingo card!
In this one J.M. Barrie (of Peter Pan fam..."

Hope you enjoy it! Also, it's very short :)

message 41: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Terris wrote: "Hope you enjoy it! Also, it's very short :) "

Thx! :)

message 42: by Susie (new)

Susie | 751 comments Looks like a good read!

message 43: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9434 comments Mod
Terris wrote: "I3 - My first book on my Bingo card!
In this one J.M. Barrie (of Peter Pan fame!) tells the s..."

Good for you.

message 44: by Terris (last edited Jan 16, 2019 07:38PM) (new)

Terris | 2425 comments So far, so good!
G5 - From the Earth to the Moon (Extraordinary Voyages, #4) by Jules Verne
From the Earth to the Moon by Jules Verne, 3***s
What a fun story and, unbelievably, it was written in 1865! They didn't even have airplanes, and Jules Verne was figuring out a way to get to the moon -- That is just crazy! He did a pretty good job of figuring it out too.
I thought one of the funniest things is that they took two dogs with them on their journey to the moon! Hilarious!
I wasn't crazy about the ending, but maybe Verne wasn't sure how it would really end and didn't want to write anything sad, so he just left it up to us -- ?
Anyway, I enjoyed it, even though there was a lot of technical stuff, it was still so entertaining!

message 45: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2425 comments O2- The Postman Always Rings Twice by James M. Cain
The Postman Always Rings Twice by James M. Cain, 3***s
Pretty interesting and a good example of the crime noir genre.

The story is about Frank and Cora, who fall in love and have an affair. But how are they going to get rid of Cora's husband? And can they get away with it? Well, you're going to find out when you read this book (which is really short, BTW)!

Give it a try, it's kind of fun -- in a dark, murderous way ;)

message 46: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1556 comments I like your description of The Postman Always Rings Twice.

It sounds like you are having a fun challenge so far.

message 47: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2425 comments I am! But look at you -- reading nonfiction -- in German!! I'm impressed! Good start for the year :)

message 48: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1556 comments Thanks. I always like to get the hard ones out of the way first.

message 49: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Verne always amazes me by how far-sighted he was. Even when the story gets a little out there, I am still struck by what kind of mind could imagine so many things that actually came true.

I enjoyed The Postman always Rings Twice. Just good fun.

Glad you are off to such a positive start on your reading year!

message 50: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2425 comments N1 - Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel García Márquez
Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 3***s
Yea! I finally get to mark this one off my list. Didn't hate it, but not my favorite genre :/

« previous 1 3 4