Play Book Tag discussion

William Shakespeare's Star Wars: Verily, A New Hope (William Shakespeare's Star Wars, #4)
This topic is about William Shakespeare's Star Wars
December 2018: Geek Reads > William Shakespeare's Star Wars: Verily, A New Hope by Ian Doescher - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

annapi | 4965 comments When I heard about this I just had to read it - I was crazy about Star Wars when I was a teen, and watched it over 8 times, so I know the dialogue (most of it, anyway!) pretty much by heart. This Shakespeare version gave me quite a few laughs, but mostly I was really impressed by the care and seriousness the author put into his translation of it into iambic pentameter! I did have to pause every now and then, as the Shakespearian format is not something I can read straight through for an entire play, as easy as this was to read. But I thoroughly enjoyed geeking out to this! Whether or not I'll read the rest of the books (there are at least 6!) I don't know - maybe I'll go as far as The Empire Striketh Back. I know I won't bother with episodes 1,2 & 3, which movies I loathed, and which quite killed my love of most things Star Wars. Except for episode 4 & 5, which are still dear to my heart.

message 2: by Jgrace (last edited Dec 03, 2018 08:39PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jgrace | 2811 comments You are fast! I've been procrastinating in my review writing. Did you read or listen?

annapi | 4965 comments I read. I do wonder what it would sound like!

Jgrace | 2811 comments annapi wrote: "I read. I do wonder what it would sound like!"

You'll have to wait for me to write my review. :)

AsimovsZeroth (asimovszerothlaw) | 436 comments I'm glad to hear it didn't disappoint! I became ridiculously excited when I realized this existed, though I probably won't get to it this month, as I've got a big stack of library books to get through!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

This actually sounds funny. I love Star Wars.:)

message 7: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3225 comments That is such an interesting combo... I am a big fan of Shakespeare and love to try anything incorporating some Shakespearean theme - adaptation, mashup, etc. - so I might check this out someday.

A little aside... my grandma took me and my husband to see the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra score "A New Hope."
Storm Troopers took your tickets as you entered and I said "look, Honey, Star Troopers" ... needless to say I am not a Star Wars fan necessarily, but I enjoy the first two that were released and listening to a live score is truly magical.

I also leaned over to my grandma at one point and asked "Is Yoda in this one?" How much our neighbors must've cringed 😂

message 8: by Amy N. (new)

Amy N. | 256 comments I love these books! My friends got me The Empire Striketh Back for my birthday a few years ago and it was such a delightful surprise. I plan to read all of them, and maybe own them eventually.

annapi, I don't fault you for not wanting to read the prequel ones, but I do wonder if this format might make the stories more palatable?

message 9: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7453 comments Meli wrote: "That is such an interesting combo... I am a big fan of Shakespeare and love to try anything incorporating some Shakespearean theme - adaptation, mashup, etc. - so I might check this out someday.

..."
😂😂😂