Great African Reads discussion

Archived | Short Stories 2019 > 2019 - short story reads

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by PS, Short Story Reading Chief (new)

PS | 143 comments Mod
I was thinking about a plan for the short story side of things here at the Great African Reads. I understand that short stories are not everyone’s cup of tea especially when you have to read them on the computer.

Would you prefer to read collections by various authors over the year? We could aim to read and discuss at least one book every two months.

Please share any short story collections you’d like to read next year. Anything works as long as they are by African authors! We don’t have to decide what we are going to read next year now. I’d like to get a sense of what people would like to read and then I can set up a poll.

I’d love to (re)read the following
- The Thing Around Your Neck by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
- What It Means When a Man Falls from the Sky by Lesley Nneka Arimah
- Year of the Elephant: A Moroccan Woman's Journey Toward Independence by Leila Abouzeid
- Women of Algiers in Their Apartment by Assia Djebar
- Distant View of a Minaret and Other Stories by Alifa Rifaat
- What is Not Yours is Not Yours by Helen Oyeyemi
- An Elegy for Easterly: Stories by Petina Gappah

message 2: by Anetq, Tour Operator & Guide (new)

Anetq | 709 comments Mod
I quite liked the selection of different authors - in that style I have a copy of Africa 39 that I've been meaning to get around to reading.
There is also the giant anthology on the 50 African women... - list Daughters of Africa or the new volume to be published 24. January 2019 New Daughters of Africa - which will appear both in a Kindle and a paper version - unfortunately not until Maj/June...