Play Book Tag discussion

Christmas at Lilac Cottage (White Cliff Bay, #1)
This topic is about Christmas at Lilac Cottage
Archive: Other Books > Christmas at Lilac Cottage by Holly Martin - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Theresa | 7404 comments Christmastime in White Cliff Bay, and Penny is about to welcome her first tenants into the attached apartment to her isolated home up on the hill above the town. Penny, who suffered 8 years earlier a very painful and public dissolution of her first serious relationship, has recently begun to feel her isolation and disengagement from the locals. Plus she has zero romantic options. The story opens with her eagerly awaiting her tenants imminent arrival, eager and hopeful that a close friendship will evolve.

I can't really say more without ruining one of the huge plot twist that happens in the first few chapters. Suffice it to say that I was thoroughly charmed by Penny, her town, and her tenants. It has all the elements I wanted in a Christmas romance: hot chocolate making, cake baking, Christmas tree decorating, sudden snow storms, cozy fires, some moderate but lovely steamy sex, humor (as in Penny's real name!), and a huge lovable dog named Bernard. It also is at times unconventional - Penny is a professional ice sculptor, and both teenage pregnancy and sexual harassment are key issues in the plot but not in the expected way.

I was enchanted! Loved it, felt myself smiling often as I read, but especially during the epilogue. I will absolutely be reading more Holly Martin romances!

message 2: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments Yay!! I have seen some books by her (if I am picturing the right author) and her book covers are always so colorful and cheerful!

I may need to add her to my list too. At this rate, I’ll have enough Christmas books lined up to fill an entire year 😂

Theresa | 7404 comments Nicole R wrote: "Yay!! I have seen some books by her (if I am picturing the right author) and her book covers are always so colorful and cheerful!

I may need to add her to my list too. At this rate, I’ll have enou..."

Love her covers! They are like Christmas cards!

message 4: by KateNZ (new) - added it

KateNZ | 2502 comments I’ve added this too - it will have to sit till next year, but if I mark it “Flurries” I should at least be able to find it again :)