Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2019 Quest for Women Authors > Lagullande's 2019 Quest for Golden Women of Crime

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lagullande (last edited Jun 07, 2020 11:34AM) (new)

Lagullande | 96 comments I'm going for a Decade Challenge, using all women authors from the Golden Age of Crime.

1926 Clouds of Witness by Dorothy L Sayers finished 6/3/20
1927 The Big Four by Agatha Christie
b>1928 The Man with the Dark Beard by Annie Haynes finished 23/10/19
1929 The Murder on the Enriqueta by Molly Thynne finished 8/3/19
1930 Mystery Mile by Margery Allingham finished 28/6/19
1931 The Incredible Crime by Lois Austen-Leigh
1932 The Division Bell Mystery by Ellen Wilkinson finished 7/6/20
1933 Portrait of a Murderer by Anne Meredith finished 4/4/20
1934 Murder Underground by Mavis Doriel Hay
1935 Enter a Murderer by Ngaio Marsh

message 2: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9270 comments Mod
That sounds fun.

message 3: by Brina (new)

Brina That sounds like so much fun. If I do a challenge at all next year I would do something like this.

message 4: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 1594 comments How fun!! I've never heard of most of these authors, so I will watch for your impressions with interest.

message 5: by Renee (last edited Dec 03, 2018 08:16PM) (new)

Renee | 864 comments Same here! I haven't heard of most of them either, and look forward to your thoughts. Sounds like a really fun challenge!

message 6: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) Sounds great, Lagullande! I love crime fiction and I'm looking forward to your thoughts - I only know three of the authors you plan on reading.

message 7: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1548 comments That looks like my kind of challenge. I love books from the golden age of mysteries. Good luck on your challenge.

message 8: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4816 comments Mod
I forgot how much fun this type of read can be. I just read The Postman Always Rings Twice, followed by They Shoot Horses Don't They. I enjoyed both and need to find a way to read more. Happy Reading.

message 9: by Lagullande (new)

Lagullande | 96 comments 1929 The Murder on the Enriqueta by Molly Thynne finished 8/3/19

I finished my first book. An entertaining enough read, although perhaps a little too long. There was a decent twist at the end, which was probably more surprising to early 20th century readers than those of today.

Apparently, the original title was "The Strangler" which, although unimaginative, would have been more apposite - The Enriqueta part was over and done with in the first few pages!