Play Book Tag discussion

The Tethered Mage (Swords and Fire, #1)
This topic is about The Tethered Mage
Archive: Other Books > The Tethered Mage by Melissa Caruso, 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8538 comments I surprised myself and really loved this! I have no idea why I picked up a fantasy book, with no prompt or challenge. But something about this caught my attention. Shows you what can happen when you step out of your genre.

I won't give a way the plot, but the blurb in the back is what caught my attention. I will say that there are three, maybe even four, possibly five powerful women figures in the book. Each are compelling. I liked them all, and appreciated them differently. The moral and psychological questions that were raised were interesting, and the story was a fun ride. There's political intrigue, suspense, relationships, a romantic interest for our two heroines each, families, and magic. Firepower was a theme, as was freedom vs protection. Really enjoyed this. There's a sequel and its called the Defiant Heir.

AsimovsZeroth (asimovszerothlaw) | 436 comments Well, I'm not sure I would have picked it up from the short blurb that Goodreads offers, but I'll add it to my TBR. I'm intrigued by your description and of course, the fact that you've given it such a high rating when it's out of your comfort zone!

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8538 comments I almost hate to recommend from such an unlikely source - lol! I am a lot more reliable when it comes To my beloved historical fiction or contemporary fiction. But yes, I think you’d like it.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Good review and interesting that you picked it up. Fantasy is definitely not a genre I would usually pick up.

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7505 comments Adding to my TBR

AsimovsZeroth (asimovszerothlaw) | 436 comments Amy wrote: "I almost hate to recommend from such an unlikely source - lol! I am a lot more reliable when it comes To my beloved historical fiction or contemporary fiction. But yes, I think you’d like it."

Hey, that's part of the fun of book groups though, isn't it? You find a book you didn't expect to love and the rest of us learn more about the elements that attract you to a book, by your recommendation of it and can make better recommendations to you in the future. After all, who doesn't like to try to convert someone to their favorite genres?

message 7: by KateNZ (new) - added it

KateNZ | 2339 comments Sounds great, Amy!

message 8: by annapi (new) - added it

annapi | 4986 comments A fantasy book that a non-fantasy reader rates 5 stars has to go on my TBR!

message 9: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8538 comments Ack - the sequel is like some kind of 589 pages!