Play Book Tag discussion

Out of the Easy
This topic is about Out of the Easy
Archive: Other Books > Out of the Easy, by Ruta Sepetys- 4 Stars (almost 5)

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3822 comments What a wonderful setting, a fascinating premise, a literary protagonist, there is so much to love about this YA novel. 1950's New Orleans, Josie is the daughter of a prostitute, and cleans the madam's house in addition to working at a bookstore. This concept sold this book to me in itself. (Plus the fact that I was just there completely put me in the moment and setting). The tone went with the setting- easy flowing, casual, and the entire "mood" of the book was very French Quarter-y, and this I loved.

We get to know the outside characters, and they had just as much character and charm as Josie. The prostitutes are treated both inside the book and by the author has human. There are heavier themes (class structure, ethics of prostitution and death, adults with diseases) sprinkled in to get you thinking- but doesn't bog down the book.

Sure there are some misgivings. Why the author decided to add in the horrible love triangle trope is beyond me. Josie was so much stronger of a character sans romance. Plus the book really didn't need this at all. The plot got a little muddled down in the middle when we were waiting for things to happen, there are definitely some loose ends, but altogether great. Would have gotten 5 stars if it wasn't that damned love triangle.

message 2: by Amy N. (new)

Amy N. | 256 comments Love triangles have turned me off to many books. I get why they're popular: who doesn't want multiple suitors pining for you? But they're almost never done well. And this book sounds like it has a lot more going for it than the typical YA fare where the romantic fluff makes up a large part of the already thin plot. It's too bad they still felt the need to include a love triangle.

AsimovsZeroth (asimovszerothlaw) | 436 comments I usually avoid love triangles like the plague as well, though I do usually give YA a little bit of slack on that point, as it's a popular fantasy, especially in the teen years. It sounds like this one has enough substance to it to overlook that major flaw. Thanks for the review, I may try this one and before your post, I probably wouldn't have given this one a second glance.

Diane Zwang | 485 comments I really like this author and this book has been languishing on my shelves for too long. Sounds like I should read it.

message 5: by Joi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3822 comments I remember liking Between Shades of Gray by the same author, although I can't remember too much about it now. I think this one is much more memorable.

message 6: by Joy D (last edited Dec 06, 2018 09:48AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Joy D | 3866 comments I read Salt to the Sea by this author and absolutely loved it! It's marketed as YA but I think adults will enjoy it too, as I did.

I can probably overlook a love triangle if the rest of the book holds merit. I've added it. Thanks for the review, Joi!

message 7: by Joi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3822 comments Joy D wrote: "I read Salt to the Sea by this author and absolutely loved it! It's marketed as YA but I think adults will enjoy it too, as I did.

I can probably overlook a love triangle if the re..."

I definitely feel this book was similar- a YA book, but adults will enjoy. I have Salt to the Sea on my TBR!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Love your review! I see so many YA books on here lately. I have not read very many. But I am getting some good ideas from this group.