Sci-fi Women discussion

The Testaments (The Handmaid's Tale #2)
This topic is about The Testaments
Atwood Confirms Sequel to Handmaid's Tale

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lynn (officerripley) | 32 comments Margaret Atwood confirms a sequel for The Handmaid's Tale; the follow-up, titled The TestamentsThe Testaments, will be released in 2019; to read the rest of the article: https://tinyurl.com/yanb6rug.

message 2: by Elaine (new)

Elaine Jemmett | 6 comments Thanks for this, Lynn. I'll be looking forward to it. I guess I'll have to re-read "Handmaid's" first. It's been years since I read it.
I have never tuned in to the TV series. Does anyone recommend it?

message 3: by Mindy (new)

Mindy | 8 comments Wonder how closely it will follow the series?

message 4: by Mindy (new)

Mindy | 8 comments Elaine wrote: "Thanks for this, Lynn. I'll be looking forward to it. I guess I'll have to re-read "Handmaid's" first. It's been years since I read it.
I have never tuned in to the TV series. Does anyone recommend..."

ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY!!!!!! You have GOT to watch it!!!! Not only Elizabeth Moss, but the entire cast is simply superb! (My personal favorite Yvonne Strahovski as the Commander's wife.)

message 5: by Elaine (new)

Elaine Jemmett | 6 comments "ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY!!!!!!"

Ok, thanks much, Mindy. I will give it a go. Atwood has always been a literary fiction author, and I think this book was her first venture into sci fi. It's great to see her doing so well.

message 6: by Elani (new)

Elani Roman | 7 comments I will have to look into it also. Thanks for sharing with the group.

message 7: by Elaine (new)

Elaine Jemmett | 6 comments Mindy wrote: "Elaine wrote: "Thanks for this, Lynn. I'll be looking forward to it. I guess I'll have to re-read "Handmaid's" first. It's been years since I read it.
I have never tuned in to the TV series. Does a..."

Okay, I had the flu and managed to binge-watch the first two seasons -- I assume there are no more. It was excellent -- slow in several spots, but I guess that was because they were stretching out one book over multiple seasons.

You're right. Really good cast. The cruelty really comes through. My only big complaint was the end of the last episode, where she hands over her baby. No way that would happen, I thought. Not buying it.

Really great series though. I also recommend it.

message 8: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie | 21 comments There is a 3rd season which was very interesting with a lot more of the story in Canada and concerns the baby. It's difficult to say anything more without giving away the story line, but definitely worth watching.