The Liberal Politics & Current Events Book Club discussion

The Testaments (The Handmaid's Tale #2)
This topic is about The Testaments
book club > Atwood Confirms Sequel to Handmaid's Tale

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lynn (officerripley) | 68 comments Margaret Atwood confirms a sequel for The Handmaid's Tale; the follow-up, titled The TestamentsThe Testaments, will be released in 2019; to read the rest of the article: https://tinyurl.com/yanb6rug.

message 2: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 9 comments Looking forward to it!

message 3: by Mary (new)

Mary Sisney | 322 comments Hey, Liberals. I've been silent in this group because I'm busy on Twitter and Facebook. Lisa, who used to post here, and I became Facebook friends so that we could continue to communicate. I dropped in because I wanted to recommend two books--Robin DiAngelo's WHITE FRAGILITY and Carlotta Lanier's A MIGHTY LONG WAY. Lanier's book was published in 2009, so it ends on a high note. We, of course, have not come as far as we thought we had in November, 2009. She was one of the Little Rock Nine, so it's interesting to compare her experience in the fifties to what's going on now. Now, of course, the racism seems more widespread because it's in the White House. We can't escape to the North to avoid most of it. DiAngelo, who works as a diversity trainer, is addressing her book to liberal whites who don't believe they are racist. I especially liked her comments on fake colorblindness. Because she's white, she's not as angry as I am and so can make the points more academically. Let's hope this nightmare ends soon.

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisarosenbergsachs) | 424 comments Thanks Mary. I will put DiAngelo's book on my to-read list. It sounds like something that I should read because I put myself in the category of being white person who believes I'm not racist. I'll read the book and see if I am.

message 5: by Mary (new)

Mary Sisney | 322 comments I think you'll find some areas where you may be by DiAngelo's definition since she claims she is, and she trains other white people how to avoid being racist. I'm finally reading the book that this group read several years ago--THE NEW JIM CROW. I already know that one of the comments I will be making in my review is that Michelle Alexander or someone like her needs to write a book called AMERICAN APARTHEID that will point out the racism in our so-called democracy. See you on Facebook.