Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2019 Classic Bingo Challenge > MJ's 2019 The Shelves Of My TBR Are Starting To Groan

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by MJ (last edited Nov 04, 2019 07:17PM) (new)

MJ | 184 comments December 3: I'm not going to fill this entire list out; in 2018, I've managed to only read four books from my bingo list. Or is it five? At any rate, in addition to this challenge, I'm also doing the Around The Year In 52 Books challenge (another goodreads group) again. I've also challenged myself that: at least 1/4 of my reading next year has to be either by an indigenous author or be about indigenous issues. I chose a quarter because 50% is (probably) not realistic. Anyway, I hope to get at least a few classics read next year.

Planning/options:

✅B1: 18th Century or Earlier Classic Candide WPL on audio
B2: Book Chosen by the Cover
B3: European Classic
✅B4: Telegraph’s 100 Novels List
Cranford
B5: 20th Century Classic
Life and Fate

✅I1: Book from the Group’s Bookshelf Prior to 2019
The Haunting of Hill House
I2: New-to-You Author
Tender Is the Night
The Count of Monte Cristo
I3: Classic Play
I4: Literary Prize of Your Country
The Luminaries (Governor General's Award)
I5: Classic on Your Bookshelf For over a Year
Middlemarch

N1: South American Classic
N2: Short Story Collection
N3: FREE SPACE
N4: Poetry or Essay Collection
N5: Asian Classic

G1: Winner of a Foreign Literary Prize
House Made of Dawn (Pulitzer)
✅G2: Classic By a Female Author
84, Charing Cross Road
Agatha Christie
✅G3: Classic Non-fiction
The Falcon
✅G4: Written by Nobel Laureate
Faulkner William
G5: Book from the Group's 2019 Bookshelf

O1: 19th Century Classic
O2: Classic Sci-fi or Fantasy
Fahrenheit 451
The Sirens of Titan
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
O3: Classic Comedy or Satire
O4: Classic Romance
Katherine
O5: 21st Century Potential Classic
Pachinko

B I N G O
x x 0 0 0
0 0 0 X 0
0 0 X X 0
x 0 0 x 0
0 0 0 0 0

message 2: by MJ (last edited Jan 11, 2019 02:40PM) (new)

MJ | 184 comments I need to read 6 or 7 books per quarter...

1st quarter

January
B1: 18th Century or Earlier Classic Candide

February

March

message 3: by MJ (last edited Dec 03, 2018 02:34PM) (new)

MJ | 184 comments 2nd quarter

April

May

June

message 4: by MJ (last edited Dec 03, 2018 02:34PM) (new)

MJ | 184 comments 3rd quarter

July

August

September

message 5: by MJ (last edited Nov 04, 2019 07:14PM) (new)

MJ | 184 comments 4th quarter

October

November
Oh dear. I haven't kept up with this progress at all!

December

message 6: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9431 comments Mod
Now this is a nice way to organize. Good luck and have fun on the challenge.

message 7: by MJ (last edited Dec 03, 2018 03:37PM) (new)

MJ | 184 comments Katy wrote: "Now this is a nice way to organize. Good luck and have fun on the challenge."

I've used this quarterly layout in another group's challenge for several years now. I add the prompts and books to each quarter and thenI delete the prompts from the initial list once I've finished the book. It gives me a quick visual of my progress!

And thank-you! Happy reading!

message 8: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 5029 comments Mod
Nice idea. I love organization!

message 9: by MJ (last edited Jan 03, 2019 12:58PM) (new)

MJ | 184 comments Starting the year by listening to Candide, for
B1 an 18th century or earlier classic

I have mixed feelings about it.

message 10: by Terris (last edited Jan 03, 2019 01:45PM) (new)

Terris | 2420 comments MJ wrote: "Starting the year by listening to Candide, for

I have mixed feelings about it."

I hope you enjoy it! It's really funny. After reading it I happened to catch Leonard Berstein's "Candide" on PBS Great Performances (with Kristin Chenoweth & Patti LuPone!). It was marvelous!! I highly recommend watching that -- and I just now looked and it is available on DVD through my library. So you might be able to order it from yours. Anyway, it is an unusual story but highly entertaining. Good luck! :)

message 11: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 68 comments Terris wrote: "MJ wrote: "Starting the year by listening to Candide, for

I hope you enjoy it! It's really funny. After reading it I happe..."

I saw that performance live and loved it! Have never tried reading it though.

I look forward to seeing what else you decide to read MJ. Middlemarch was the book that made me realize that I do actually enjoy Classics and spurred me on to increase my reading of them.

message 12: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2420 comments Rachelnyc wrote: "Terris wrote: "MJ wrote: "Starting the year by listening to Candide, for

I hope you enjoy it! It's really funny. After rea..."

Rachel, did you really see that performance live?!! That is so cool! I'm so jealous ;)

message 13: by MJ (last edited Jan 03, 2019 03:42PM) (new)

MJ | 184 comments Rachelnyc wrote: "

You should read it, especially if you enjoyed the performance. It is really short. It isn’t what I expected.

For me, it was Jane Eyre that brought me to classics. And then Pride and Prejudice -both read after seeing the movies.

I’ve been avoiding Middlemarch for several years. I must read it this year though, what with it being 200 years since her birth!

message 14: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 68 comments MJ wrote: "Rachelnyc wrote: "

You should read it, especially if you enjoyed the performance. It is really short. It isn’t what I expected.

For me, it ..."

I will add it to my TBR.

If you can believe it, I've never read Pride and Prejudice or Jane Eyre, not all the way through, anyway and both are on my list for this year.

Looking forward to your thoughts on Middlemarch.

And yes, Terris, I was fortunate enough to see the performance. I absolutely love live theater and try to go as much as I can.

message 15: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2420 comments Rachelnyc wrote: "MJ wrote: "Rachelnyc wrote: "

..."

Cool!!
And happy reading on Pride and Prejudice and Jane Eyre. You should definitely read those two if you're interested in classics :)

message 16: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2420 comments MJ wrote: "Rachelnyc wrote: "

For me, it ..."

Good luck with Middlemarch! I also put it off for many years and finally got to it a couple of years ago -- and felt kind of proud of myself ;)

message 17: by Richp (new)

Richp | 27 comments The Overture to Candide by Bernstein is extremely popular among symphonic music fans. In the old days of LPs and CDs, it was often used to fill out albums whose major work was a half hour long. The entire piece is likely available on youtube in modest fidelity. Hi Fi has greatly declined in popularity among the younger generations.

Candide and Zadig by Voltaire, Gulliver's Travels by Swift, Erewhon by Butler, and Utopia, add up to a fine quartet of fantastic travels.

message 18: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 908 comments Nice organisation! Hope it works and you get your 7/8 books per quarter :0) Some interesting titles too - Hope you love Middlemarch, it has so much in it!

message 19: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
When I read Candide, I remember it being funny. Of course if it isn't supposed to be humors, don't tell anybody I'm nuts. I like your layout, enjoy.

message 20: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (last edited Jan 17, 2019 06:00PM) (new)

Lynn (lynnsreads) | 3058 comments Mod
I like your books that you have listed so far. I really like Vonnegut and your choice is one I have not read yet. It looks fun. You mentioned indigenous authors and topics. There is a an author Joseph Bruchac who has written multiple children and young adult books. I have read Code Talker: A Novel About the Navajo Marines of World War Two which you might like.

message 21: by MJ (new)

MJ | 184 comments Currently reading The Haunting of Hill House for
I1: Book from the Group’s Bookshelf Prior to 2019

for another challenge and was pleasantly surprised to see that it fits for my Bingo.

Actually, I'm listening to it. Enjoying it so far.

I haven't had the energy to read much this year; my job is mentally exhausting. I've got today and tomorrow off, so am reading/listening as much as I can to make something of a small dent in my reading goals! Happy Easter!

message 22: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments MJ wrote: "I've also challenged myself that: at least 1/4 of my reading next year has to be either by an indigenous author or be about indigenous issues."

An admirable goal, MJ. I look forward to your choices for this.

message 23: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
MJ wrote: "Currently reading The Haunting of Hill House for
I1: Book from the Group’s Bookshelf Prior to 2019

for another challenge and was pleasantly surprised to see that it fits for my Bingo..."

I have enjoyed all that I have read by Jackson, but was somewhat surprised at how much I liked Hill House. Usually, It's not my kind of story.

message 24: by MJ (new)

MJ | 184 comments It has been a while. I FINALLY finished:

G3: Classic Non-fiction
The Falcon

It's taken me months to get through. I kept it at work to read over lunch etc. and it was never enough of a page turner for me to bring home. It was great in terms of the insight it offered re: indigenous life during the author's lifetime, but it wasn't very enjoyable. The ending felt rushed, and left me unsatisfied.

I also just finished 84, Charing Cross Road for
G2: Classic By a Female Author

It was delightful, and I now want to read more of Henff's work.

I just started The Sound of the Mountain, and I haven't decided where that will fit into my BINGO. I've also started To the Lighthouse, which I'm not overly thrilled with.

I won't finish my bingo this year, but it looks like I'll do better than I did last year.

message 25: by MJ (new)

MJ | 184 comments The Sound of the Mountain will be for

That was easy.

message 26: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments MJ wrote: "The Sound of the Mountain will be for

That was easy."

That's one of the (many) Kawabata works I haven't gotten to yet, so I'm looking forward to your thoughts.

message 27: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
MJ wrote: I've also started To the Lighthouse, which I'm not overly thrilled with...."

To the Lighthouse was my first book by Woolf and I felt the same, less than thrilled. I have tried a couple of others, but she and I are not compatible.