Play Book Tag discussion

Insurrecto
This topic is about Insurrecto
Archive: Other Books > Insurrecto by Gina Apostol- 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Booknblues | 5505 comments At this time of year, I begin to pour over the Best of the Year Booklists and try to figure out which ones that I've missed and might want to get in before the end of the year. I was naturally attracted to Insurrecto by Gina Apostol as it is a historical fiction with elements in three different eras and uses shifting perspectives to tell the story. For me it was a triple check, love historical fiction, like settings in different eras and I like a book with shifting perspective.

Having said that I was not quite prepared for Insurrecto, so many elements were so confusing to me, what had happened to my ability to comprehend. The book begins at chapter 20 and these chapters immediately follow 2,3, 21, 4, 22, 5, 6, 23, 7, 24. While there is a certain pattern here it soon becomes disrupted. I am embarrassed to say how long it took for me to figure out the chapters.

The two main characters are Chiara Brasi an American film maker and Magsalin, her Filipino translator. Chiara wants to make a film of an incident in in the Spanish American War which was the greatest military loss since The Battle of Little Bighorn. Chiara is described in the book:

Slow reading is an art, her teachers kept saying, but their catechism was no insurance against her unraveling. School gave her migraines: teachers kept telling her to expand on her thoughts when she had none that merited expanding. Her brain was a ball of hair in a bath drain, as miserably dense as it was inert. A mess.

This book is about so much colonizer and colonized, war, death, suicide and it is mixed together in murky detail, so I will be awhile sorting it out in my mind. It is not a book in which I would say, "I love it , you have to read it!" But rather, "If you decide to read it, let me know what you think."

AsimovsZeroth (asimovszerothlaw) | 436 comments Whelp, this one definitely fits into my wheelhouse, from your description and sounds fascinating. From the paragraph you've quoted and your description, it sounds like the author may have taken a page from The Heart of Darkness and made it intentionally difficult to read. That won't scare me away though. This book wasn't even on my radar until now, thank you for the review. I so rarely check out the yearly lists. I suppose I should, but I don't.

message 3: by Susie (new) - added it

Susie | 4488 comments I too am fascinated. I already have it on my TBR. Thanks for your thoughts. I’m looking forward to giving it a try.

Booknblues | 5505 comments LitMania and Susie, I hope you both read it, because I would love to see what you think.

There definitely is a bit of Heart of Darkness about it.

message 5: by annapi (new) - added it

annapi | 4915 comments This one is on my TBR - I need to read more Filipino authors!

Booknblues | 5505 comments annapi wrote: "This one is on my TBR - I need to read more Filipino authors!"

Here is an interview with Gina Apostol you might be interested in.

message 7: by KateNZ (new) - added it

KateNZ | 2214 comments Intrigued as well. It would also brilliantly fit one of the advanced Popsugar challenge prompts (a book with no chapters, or strange chapter numbers etc). Straight on the TBR and there’s even a real chance I’ll read it soon ;)

Booknblues | 5505 comments KateNZ wrote: "Intrigued as well. It would also brilliantly fit one of the advanced Popsugar challenge prompts (a book with no chapters, or strange chapter numbers etc). Straight on the TBR and there’s even a rea..."

It would be ideal for that challenge.
I wondered at the end what would happen if someone read the chapter numbers in order.

AsimovsZeroth (asimovszerothlaw) | 436 comments Booknblues wrote: "LitMania and Susie, I hope you both read it, because I would love to see what you think.

There definitely is a bit of Heart of Darkness about it."

I've already placed it on hold at the library. There is only one copy and I have a bit of a few people in front of me, but I will indeed be reading this one when it comes in! If I have time, I may try out your idea and re-read it in the order of the chapter numbers!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Insurrecto (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Gina Apostol (other topics)