Diversity in All Forms! discussion

A Thousand Splendid Suns
This topic is about A Thousand Splendid Suns
Monthly Bonus Reads > A Thousand Splendid Suns (December 2018)

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mariah Roze (new)

Mariah Roze (mariahroze) | 1408 comments Mod
December Bonus Read- International Human Rights Day

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 142 comments Oh, this book is amazing! This is one of my favorite books, even though I've only read it once. The story is very engrossing, and multilayered. It was such a pleasure to read, though very sad at times. I want to reread it.

Even if you only have time to read a few chapters, you'll get an interesting taste of what life was like for girls and women in Afghanistan. I really liked the early chapters about her childhood and education. Quick note: Girls in Afghanistan were better off when the Russians were in charge. After that, life got worse for women and girls.

I never felt so grateful to be an American woman as when I was reading this book.

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I hope you guys enjoy this one! I think it's his best book by far. Every one goes on and on about the Kite Runner, but this one was much more emotional for me. Perhaps it's because I'm a woman.

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 142 comments Kirsten wrote: "I hope you guys enjoy this one! I think it's his best book by far. Every one goes on and on about the Kite Runner, but this one was much more emotional for me. Perhaps it's because I'm a woman."

Hi Kirsten, I agree. This is a great book for women.

Kirsten  (kmcripn) It really makes me thankful for my parents. I could have been born in any kind of family, yet I was born in one where my parents valued girls and boys the same.

You may think things like this only happen in certain countries, but there is patriarchalism in this country too.

Maya B | 42 comments One of my favorite reads

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 142 comments Is anyone reading it now?