Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2019 Classic Bingo Challenge > Vicky's 2019 Classic "Bingo"Challenge.

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vicky (last edited May 06, 2019 09:04AM) (new)

Vicky | 66 comments Proposed:Level Four Bingo
Blackout! Mark off all the squares of the board.
(24/24) Complete-HOOORAY!!!

B1: 18th Century or Earlier Classic
The Vicar of Wakefield by Oliver Goldsmith
✔24/1/2019★★★★★

B2: Book Chosen by the Cover
The Bookshopby Penelope FitzgeraldPublished in 1978.
✔16/2/2019★★★★★

B3: European Classic
TartuffebyMolière
✔5/1/2019★★★★★

B4: Telegraph’s 100 Novels List
Eugene Oneginby Alexander Pushkin
✔25/2/2019★★★★

B5: 20th Century Classic
Offshore by Penelope Fitzgerald
✔2/5/2019★★★★★

I1: Book from the Group’s Bookshelf Prior to 2019
The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot
✔19/1/2019★★★★★

I2: New-to-You Author
Antigoneby Jean Anouilh
✔8/2/2019★★★★

I3: Classic Play
Murder in the Cathedral by T.S. Eliot
✔13/1/2019★★★★★

I4: Literary Prize of Your Country
The Wreck of the Zanzibar by Michael MorpurgoCosta Book Awards,Best Children's Book 1995.
✔12/2/2019★★★★★

I5: Classic on Your Bookshelf For over a Year
Sense & Sensibility by Joanna Trollope(Shelved as To Read 21/11/2016)
✔15/2/2019★★★★★

N1: South American Classic
Mother Mary: Inspiring Words from Pope Francis by Pope Francis
✔1/5/2019★★★★★

N2: Short Story Collection
Wessex Tales by Thomas Hardy
✔6/5/2019★★★★

N3: FREE SPACE
Keep the Aspidistra Flying by George Orwell
✔23/1/2019★★★★

N4: Poetry or Essay Collection
Winter Words: Poetry and Personal Writings of Thomas HardyThomas Hardy
✔15/1/2019★★★★★

N5: Asian Classic
The White Castle by Orhan Pamuk
✔15/1/2019★★★★

G1: Winner of a Foreign Literary Prize
(NB I live in the UK)
Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universeby Benjamin Alire Sáenz
✔19/2/2019 Winner of Lambda Literary Award,Belpré Narrative Medal,etc.

G2: Classic By a Female Author
A Far Cry from Kensington by Muriel Spark
✔14/1/2019★★★★

G3: Classic Non-fiction
Roughing Itby Mark Twain
✔15/2/2019★★★★★

G4: Written by Nobel Laureate.
Doctor Zhivago by Boris Pasternak
✔8/2/2019★★★★★

G5: Book from the Group's 2019 Bookshelf.
The Return of the Nativeby Thomas Hardy
✔ 1/2/2019★★★★

O1: 19th Century Classic
The Woodlanders by Thomas Hardy
✔10/1/2019 ★★★★★★

O2: Classic Sci-fi or Fantasy
The Midwich Cuckoosby John Wyndham
✔ 6/1/2019★★★★★

O3: Classic Comedy or Satire
As You Like It by William Shakespeare
✔5/2/2019★★★★★

O4: Classic Romance
Much Ado About Nothingby William Shakespeare
✔23/2/2019★★★★★

O5: 21st Century Potential Classic
The Help by Kathryn Stockett
✔12/1/2019★★★★★

message 2: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9558 comments Mod
Welcome to the challenge for 2019 Vicky. I hope you enjoy it.

message 3: by Vicky (last edited Dec 09, 2018 09:11AM) (new)

Vicky | 66 comments Katy wrote: "Welcome to the challenge for 2019 Vicky. I hope you enjoy it."

Many thanks,Katy-I've enjoyed making the list,and,as you see, I'm including quite a few Thomas Hardy books.This year I visited both his homes,near Dorchester -or should I say Casterbridge?!?!-now being cared for by the National Trust-which inspired me to read his novels and poetry.Up until then I had-to my shame for a Dorset lass-only read one!!!

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 273 comments I love Hardy and am planning a few for this year also.

message 5: by Vicky (new)

Vicky | 66 comments Kelly wrote: "I love Hardy and am planning a few for this year also."

Katy,you may also enjoy the short but remarkably astute biography Thomas Hardy: The Time Torn Man by Claire Tomalin which I found on sale at Hardy's birthplace.Tomalin is currently well thought of here in the UK and has also produced well received biographies of Jane Austen and Charles Dickens.

message 6: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

I love biographies. Thank you for the recommendation.

message 7: by Vicky (last edited May 14, 2019 07:18AM) (new)

Vicky | 66 comments Katy wrote: "Welcome to the challenge for 2019 Vicky. I hope you enjoy it."
Challenge completed,Katy!Thankyou for setting it up :)

message 8: by Philina (new)

Philina | 1562 comments Congratulations 🏆!
I also really like Hardy.
Funny coincidence: yesterday I found the Bookshop movie on Prime and started watching and today I find the book in your Bingo.

message 9: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3219 comments Congratulations Vicki! It looks like all the books were 4 or 5 stars for you. That's great. Doctor Zhivago is one of my all time favorites.

message 10: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1574 comments Way to go, Vicki! I see a lot of my favourites on your list, including works by Thomas Hardy.

message 11: by Vicky (last edited May 14, 2019 07:46AM) (new)

Vicky | 66 comments Philina wrote: "Congratulations 🏆!
I also really like Hardy.
Funny coincidence: yesterday I found the Bookshop movie on Prime and started watching and today I find the book in your Bingo."

Many thanks, Philina!I came across Penelope Fitzgerald by accident.BBC Radio 4 had her biography by author,Hermione Lee as Book of the Week. I learned that she had begun writing in later life and -as you may have already gathered-picked up a significant prize or two along the way.While most readers in our family went on to receive the biography as a Christmas gift,I hurried to investigate a British female author I had so far not known at all!If you haven't yet read Offshore-the Booker Prizewinner- I would certainly recommend that one.Did you notice the very different endings to "The Bookshop" presented as fiction and then presented as a movie?Which one,I wonder,was better?I haven't been able to decide.

message 12: by Vicky (new)

Vicky | 66 comments Sue wrote: "Congratulations Vicki! It looks like all the books were 4 or 5 stars for you. That's great. Doctor Zhivago is one of my all time favorites."
Many thanks,Sue!Having seen both feature films of Dr Zhivago,it was wonderful to read the book!It was then interesting to see how well some scenes from the David Lean production compared to the text.However,as usual,the book revealed a lot more about the character of it's players-particularly Lara's husband,Pasha Antipov.A very worthy prizewinner,which greatly improved our perception of the real people obscured by the "iron curtain."

message 13: by Vicky (new)

Vicky | 66 comments Rosemarie wrote: "Way to go, Vicki! I see a lot of my favourites on your list, including works by Thomas Hardy."
Many thanks,Rosemarie!I know you love the Classics!BTW,Hardy's biographer,Claire Tomalinis unveiling a new Memorial Stone for Thomas Hardy in Westminster Abbey's Poets Corner on Saturday,May 18th.
https://www.hardysociety.org/oxo/168/...
I suspect that a recording of the event will eventually turn up on the authors website.Wish I could be at this one!

message 14: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

Lynn (lynnsreads) | 3291 comments Mod
Congratulations!! Total black out and there are so many good books in your list.

message 15: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Sorry to be slow to congratulate you Vicki. Well done.

message 16: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 5481 comments Mod
Congratulations from me as well, Vicki. What a marvelous list to have finished!

message 17: by Vicky (new)

Vicky | 66 comments Lynn wrote: "Congratulations!! Total black out and there are so many good books in your list."
Thank you very much,Lynn-it was great fun!The advantage of a challenge is that it encourages us to read more widely and discover new authors.I'm so glad I dipped into Goldsmith and Pushkin-both of which I had heard of by reputation but never read. :)

message 18: by Vicky (new)

Vicky | 66 comments Katy wrote: "Sorry to be slow to congratulate you Vicki. Well done."
No worries,Katy,this is one of the best challenges on the site.I have thoroughly enjoyed it and hope it will be repeated next year :)

message 19: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

Lynn (lynnsreads) | 3291 comments Mod
Vicky, you were so quick to finish your Bingo in 2019 and had a great list of books. Are you planning on playing Bingo in 2020?

message 20: by Vicky (new)

Vicky | 66 comments Lynn wrote: "Vicky, you were so quick to finish your Bingo in 2019 and had a great list of books. Are you planning on playing Bingo in 2020?"
Thank you Lynn!This is a challenge I do hope to repeat -if it is on offer-at some time during next year :)

message 21: by Vicky (new)

Vicky | 66 comments Lynn wrote: "Vicky, you were so quick to finish your Bingo in 2019 and had a great list of books. Are you planning on playing Bingo in 2020?"Sorry Lynn,I've just seen that it is on offer-am entering now! :)