I Read Comic Books discussion

Gaming and Comics

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brian (new)

Brian (brianhead) | 30 comments With the release of Die #1 this Wednesday (the 5th), it got me thinking: are there other good examples of the intersection between comic books and gaming. What are your favorites? Tabletop games, video games, whatever. If there's an Uno comic out there, clue me in.

One of my favorites is the lamentably short-lived Nonplayer by Nate Simpson at Image. It's a beautifully illustrated book looking at the bleed between the gaming world and the real world, and it's such a bummer that there are only two issues. Of course, issue two came out four years after issue one, so maybe we'll get lucky in 2019.

message 2: by Erin (new)

Erin (panelparty) | 240 comments Mod
One of the prompts in the Popsugar Reading Challenge for next year is a book revolving around a puzzle or game. I love trying to do the whole challenge with comics, so I've picked out a few to think about reading for that:

Clue - not really game-themed, but since its inspired by the game I count it!

Tetris: The Games People Play - this one was talked about a lot on the show and was highly recommended, so leaning toward this one for the reading challenge.

Level Up - From the Goodreads snippet, it sounds like some kind of video game/magic stuff happens to a guy who is so into video games he ends up failing out of college? A few people whose reviews I follow rated it highly so I'd like to try it at some point.

Sword Art Online: Aincrad Omnibus - I know very little about manga, but even I had heard about this one! I think the basic premise is that people are logged into an MMORPG and can't log back out - die in the game, die in real life sort of situation.

Chainmail Bikini: The Anthology of Women Gamers - I love comics anthologies, and one written by all women gamers sounds pretty cool to me!

In Real Life - Girl plays MMORPG, befriends someone who is goldfarming, but questions the morals of doing so since that is supporting her friend in real life.

FUN: Spies, Puzzle Solvers, and a Century of Crosswords - A book about the history of crossword puzzles? I'm sure this would put normal people to sleep but I love crossword puzzles so this sounds really interesting to me.

Rise of the Dungeon Master: Gary Gygax and the Creation of D&D - Pretty self-explanatory title. Husband is getting back into D&D so I'm sure this will be under the tree this year!

Death Saves: Fallen Heroes of the Kitchen Table - From the Goodreads snippet: "comic book stories about what happens when fantasy gaming characters run out of hit points. With many years of combined gaming experience between the creators, each comic explores the time-honored tradition of killing player characters in unique, and often unexpected ways." I bought this for like a dollar from Comixology at one point so hopefully I'll read it soon.

I also thought Nonplayer sounded interesting - I'll have to give it a shot!

I'm sure there are a ton more books that I haven't even heard of that are out there about the topic - it seems like being into games and being into comics goes hand in hand (I think I've only been to like 1 comic shop that didn't sell games as well) and the potential for crossover and interesting storytelling is huge.

I would read the absolute fuck out of an Uno comic.

message 3: by KaitLphere (new)

KaitLphere | 201 comments Mod
Wow, Erin, thanks for the great list! I have added all of these to my to-read list (although some were already on it). I read Level Up recently and enjoyed it. The ends wraps up very nicely.

message 4: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

Mike Rapin (mikerapin) | 633 comments Mod
Erin wrote: "One of the prompts in the Popsugar Reading Challenge for next year is a book revolving around a puzzle or game. I love trying to do the whole challenge with comics, so I've picked out a few to thin..."

I am so damn happy to see this post.

message 5: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Haines (lemonhands) | 13 comments There are lots of Dungeons & Dragons based comics from what I understand.

I own a few:

Dungeons & Dragons: Evil At Baldur's Gate
Is graphic version of a campaign being told

Rolled & Told #1 & Rolled & Told #2
Are one shots for D&D campaigns

I haven't actually got round to reading any of these as of yet though

There is also a D&D crossover with Rick and Morty series- Rick and Morty vs. Dungeons & Dragons which I have read the first 2 or 3 but not finished the 4 part series yet, it has been ok, would probs give like 3/5

message 6: by Chad (new)

Chad | 746 comments Nathan wrote: "There are lots of Dungeons & Dragons based comics from what I understand.

I own a few:

Dungeons & Dragons: Evil At Baldur's Gate
Is graphic version of a campaign being told"

Those Jim Zub D&D comics are a lot of fun. There are 3 trades I believe. There's also a series of Pathfinder comics that I thought were pretty solid. Zub wrote the first 3 volumes of those as well. I'm not that familiar with Pathfinder but it seems very similar to D&D which I did play throughout my teens and twenties.

message 7: by KaitLphere (new)

KaitLphere | 201 comments Mod
Nathan wrote: "Rolled & Told #1 & Rolled & Told #2."

Came all the way back to December's topic to say that I just saw this "spotlighted" at a D&D event I go to every year. My LSC co-hosts a D&D night at a local brewery, and I don't remember them ever having comics for sale in years past, but they had Rolled & Told out this year!