Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Can I Delete my Pen Name as a Co-Author?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn Davis (kaitlyn_davis) | 40 comments Hello,

I write under two names - Kaitlyn Davis and Kay Marie. Currently, on two of my Kay Marie books, my other writing name Kaitlyn Davis is also listed as a co-author. I can't remember how or why that happened, it was a few years ago. Anyway, each author name has its own Goodreads Author page, so I was hoping to remove the "Kaitlyn Davis" co-author tags from these books to keep my pen-names a little more separate.

I tried to do it myself, but I wasn't allowed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Book 1 - Confessions of a Virgin Sex Columnist! by Kay Marie: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

Book 2 - Confessions of an Undercover Girlfriend by Kay Marie: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

message 2: by Scott (new)

Scott | 18431 comments The books have to keep any names under which the book was published, but if a name was added simply to link your profiles together, I believe it can be deleted.

message 3: by Scott (new)

Scott | 18431 comments I should have looked at the books first... I see they have a "writing as" designation, so I'm not sure how that would be handled.

message 4: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5029 comments Scott wrote: "I should have looked at the books first... I see they have a "writing as" designation, so I'm not sure how that would be handled."

Usually as two names on cover.

message 5: by Scott (last edited Dec 03, 2018 12:07PM) (new)

Scott | 18431 comments I see the two names on the cover but does this mean the real name has to be listed on the book entry, is what I am unsure of. Librarian manual says it "may" be listed, which suggests it can be removed at author request, but I didn't want to delete it before getting a second opinion.

message 6: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn Davis (kaitlyn_davis) | 40 comments Hi! Not sure if you needed my commentary, but I know a few authors who have "writing as" on their covers, but I do not believe the original author name is tagged on the book.

Addison Cole is one, it's Melissa Foster's clean romance pen name, and it says so on the cover, but it's only linked to Addison Cole as an author I believe: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

Thanks so much for looking into this for me!

message 7: by Cassandra (last edited Dec 03, 2018 12:07PM) (new)

Cassandra (cassanj) | 4919 comments Kaitlyn wrote: "Hi! Not sure if you needed my commentary, but I know a few authors who have "writing as" on their covers, but I do not believe the original author name is tagged on the book.

Addison Cole is one,..."

Melissa Foster received special permission from GR staff to keep her "clean" versions separate from the original editions, thus not having her name linked. She is the exception rather than the rule, as it is the opposite of the way things are normally done per GR policy.

message 8: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn Davis (kaitlyn_davis) | 40 comments Okay, thanks for letting me know. Not a big deal, I just figured I would ask. The rest of my pen name books don't have "writing as" on the cover, so it shouldn't be an issue moving forward for me.

If I ever redesign the covers in the future, to remove the "writing as", would I then be able to get my other author name deleted from the book page?

Thank you!

message 9: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5029 comments Kaitlyn wrote: "If I ever redesign the covers in the future, to remove the "writing as", would I then be able to get my other author name deleted from the book page? "

It would be edition specific, so if you re-release without the second name then those editions wouldn't have the second name. The second name would remain on those editions showing the extra name on the cover.

message 10: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn Davis (kaitlyn_davis) | 40 comments Okay, I guess it's not worth it then. Thank you so much for answering my question!