Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > CEELEE'S NOVEMBER READS: BACK FROM THE NEARLY DEAD!

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ceelee (new)

Ceelee | 206 comments Season's Greetings everyone!

I am so happy to finally be coming back to this group after over two months of being absent! The problems started actually over the summer but I didn't recognize things as a problem until late August when I went to a new doctor and he saw my old doctor's report from June and told me that I had anemia and my hemoglobin count had gone from 14-10. On September 21 I woke up feeling so dizzy I could hardly walk and was extremely short of breath. Called my doctor who had just dove a blood test the day before, hemoglobin was down to 6.3 so off to the emergency room I went. My blood count went to 5.1 and I had to get a blood transfusion because that low it becomes life threatening. I actually had two because they had to get my blood up to at least 7 so they could do an endoscopy the next day. That did not go well! Not really sure what happened but I had some kind of reaction and I was fighting the process. My blond pressure went down to 50/40 and I have no idea why. A very dedicated ICU team and nurse saved me. The doctor said it was a battle between my liver and my body (the liver was causing the bleeding) and they couldn't get the scope out so lucky me got to have it down my throat for about 24 hours. AAUGH! When I woke up I got to experience them removing the scope! It was a bit surreal because I saw it like they were all far away and like I was seeing it from the bottom of a well or something I can't really explain it I was in the hospital for 13 days total and received three more transfusions. I s spent two weeks in a rehab place, part of skilled nursing facility, and I totally rocked it in gym because I was already in good shape when I was in there despite what I went through in the hospital. The food there was actually pretty good too.

So I spent a month away from home which i have never done before without a beach or mountain involved! :) As for reading, i didn't do too much! It was just easier to watch TV or movies. I didn't get back into reading until November and I have been O D'ing on books! I have about 10 books sitting on my bed and I read from several of them every day. I also have eight ebooks to read on Kindle, Nook and Scribd! Four are from NetGalley which i I recently joined. I am really enjoying THE BLACKTHORN MANOR HAUNTING by Cheryl Bradshaw but I have weakness for gothics! BLUFF by Jan Stanton Hitchcock is also good. I call it a "glitz and glamour novel". THE MOROCCAN GIRL by ? is a pretty good spy thriller and I am enjoying the book about Margaret Tudor, Henry VIII's sister.

I finished another gothic, THE RUBY LOCKET by Anita Hicman. It was more a YA novel but I liked it and want to read more of the series which I got on Kindle Unlimited. ELEANOR OLIPHANT IS COMPLETELY FINE by Gail Honeyman I ADORED! And I finally finished JANE STEELE and loved it!

That is all I finished late;y but getting close to finishing A DISCOVERY OF WITCHES by Deborah Harkness which is so good but I got bored with ti for some reason and never finished it. Also close to being done with GHOST TACKERS, a novel written by the "Ghost Hunters" Jason Hawes and Grant Wilson with Tim Waggoner. I mainly wanted to read it because I am a fan of the show and it is a borrowed book from Book Lender. It isn't really very scary and to me it is more like a psychological thriller than a ghost story.

Other books I am reading include THE WORLD ACCORDING TO GARP by John Irving and FRIED GREEN TOMATOES AT THE WHISTLE STOP CAFE by Fannie Flagg. A real classic! Also have started Barbara Kingsolver's new book UNSETTLED, THE ENGLISH WIFE by Lauren Willing, a book of ghost stories by M R James, which I wanted to read in October but it will suit for all the winter! And last but not least, FEAR by Bob Woodward. Great writer with his insight to contemporary political history.

If it sounds like I am trying to make up for lost time, i am! I am going to try and catch up on all the books I missed in the club too but I am still on PIECES OF HER by Karin Slaughter. Excellent and twisty novel and twisty and I really like! it!

I see we have another Pete Swanson and Jane Harper books in our future too! YAY!!!!

Hope everyone has a fun and festive holiday season! I am facing my third endoscopy two days after Christmas. I made the mistake of having my second one two days BEFORE Thanksgiving and Dr Shah did the banding again and let me tell ya, that is painful! I hope I will have recovered enough to enjoy my trip to San Diego to see my Runnin' Utes play in the Holiday Bowl on NYE! Hopefully no banding this time and it will be painless!

message 2: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3053 comments Glad you are back among the living.

message 3: by Merrilee in AZ (new)

Merrilee in AZ | 1117 comments Glad to have you back with us.

message 4: by Karly (new)

Karly | 331 comments Welcome back! So good to hear you are well! What an experience!
And your book list looks good too :)

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14624 comments Wow Ceelee - what an ordeal and so glad it appears to be receding in your rear view mirror. I hope the next endoscopy goes well.
You definitely have some exciting reading going on! I loved Garp years ago:

message 6: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1215 comments Welcome back. Like Ann, I was a big fan of The World According to Garp back in the day and also really enjoyed Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe.

message 7: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3693 comments wow, scary stuff. glad you're ok.

message 8: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1639 comments Glad you are OK Ceelee!...and hope you stay that way :)

message 9: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8062 comments There are so few new posts these days I'm getting caught up on old ones. Wow Ceelee, you dodged a bullet here! I too was hospitalized once with anemia, but only stayed in a couple days I think. Hope all of this is well behind you.