Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2019 Quest for Women Authors > Katy's 2019 Quest for Women Authors

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Katy, New School Classics (last edited Dec 16, 2019 12:14PM) (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9431 comments Mod
Katy's Century of Pultizer Winning Women

1925 -- So Big by Edna Ferber 29 Jan
1934 -- Lamb in His Bosom by Caroline Miller 19 Feb
1942 -- In This Our Life by Ellen Glasgow2 July
1950 -- Annie Allen by Gwendolyn Brooks (poetry) Actually read The Essential Gwendolyn Brooks by Gwendolyn Brooks because I couldn't get hold of a copy of Annie Allen29 Jan
1965 -- The Keepers of the House by Shirley Ann Grau 13 Sept
1973 -- The Optimist's Daughter by Eudora Welty 3 Dec
1988 -- Beloved by Toni Morrison17 May
1994 -- The Shipping News by Annie Proulx 15 Dec
2000 -- Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri 5 Dec
2014 -- The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt 24 March

message 2: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

I know I'll need a bit of space for planning and whatnot...

message 3: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Combining Pultizer Winners with women writers. The majority of the literature winners are male, and in the 1950's no women were awarded the Pulitzer in literature. So I needed to choose another category and even those have few women. And those books look difficult to find. So this may need a bit of finagling to get to work.

message 4: by siriusedward (last edited Dec 15, 2018 11:06PM) (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2051 comments Nice list ,Katy...

I would like to read at least 6 from yours.. .

Happy Reading!

message 5: by Brina (new)

Brina You know me, I love this. I’ve read 4- Annie Allen, Keepers of the House, Optimist’s Daughter, Interpreter of Maladies- and loved them all. Knowing me the others will be on my next year’s return to fiction challenges.

message 6: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 769 comments Excellent list, Katy. I just loved So Big and Lamb in His Bosom. Beloved and Interpreter of Maladies were fantastic reads for me as well :) Good luck with your challenge!

message 7: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3796 comments What a great idea, Katy. Beloved and Interpreter of Maladies were favorites for me as well, and I enjoy anything by Eudora Welty. They all look good, and I'm looking forward to your thoughts. Enjoy!

message 8: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Brina wrote: "You know me, I love this. I’ve read 4- Annie Allen, Keepers of the House, Optimist’s Daughter, Interpreter of Maladies- and loved them all. Knowing me the others will be on my next year’s return to..."

I've been looking for a copy of Annie Allen at the libraries or to buy -- I may have to go with one of her selected sets of poems if I can't find it.

message 9: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

siriusedward wrote: "Nice list ,Katy...

I would like to read at least 6 from yours.. .

Happy Reading!"

Nice. Perhaps we will read together some.

message 10: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Kathleen wrote: "What a great idea, Katy. Beloved and Interpreter of Maladies were favorites for me as well, and I enjoy anything by Eudora Welty. They all look good, and I'm looking forward to your thoughts. Enjoy!"

Thank you. Looking forward to reading those.

message 11: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Candi wrote: "Excellent list, Katy. I just loved So Big and Lamb in His Bosom. Beloved and Interpreter of Maladies were fantastic reads for me as well :) Good luck with your challenge!"

Good to know. I love when people can recommend a good book that I've been wondering about.

message 12: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments I'm glad to see you join this challenge, Katy, and I hope you enjoy your quest choices.

message 13: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Thank you.

message 14: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
From your terrific list, I have read three. Of those three Lamb in His Bosom is far and away my favorite.

message 15: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 5029 comments Mod
I have read eight of these, Katy and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. I am another fan of Lamb in His Bosom.

message 16: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Hooray! I am excited to have these recommended as good reading.

message 17: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

I realize that with the dates I'm using these books may not all be classics yet, but being Pulitzer Winners I think if not already classics, then they have the potential to become classics.

message 18: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

I could not locate a copy of Annie Allen by Gwendolyn Brooks, so I've substituted The Essential Gwendolyn Brooks for it. This book includes much of the 1950 Pulitzer Poetry Winning book, along with other poems by Brooks. Close enough to count -- and with bonus poems besides.

message 19: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Sounds like you actually got more.

message 20: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

message 21: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Finished 1925 - So Big by Edna Ferber

message 22: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Hope you enjoyed So Big, Katy. It was one of my happy finds from last year.

message 23: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Sara wrote: "Hope you enjoyed So Big, Katy. It was one of my happy finds from last year."

It was very good.

message 24: by Katy, New School Classics (last edited Feb 19, 2019 09:24PM) (new)

Read
1934 -- Lamb in His Bosom by Caroline Miller

message 25: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
Your review shows you to be less than thrilled by Miller's book. I had the opposite feeling, it was a solid 5 star for me. Better luck on the next one.

message 26: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Different books for different folks and different times or seasons of life. I did love my previous read for this challenge though.

message 27: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Finished last night:

2014 -- The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt

Very good read for me. That gives me 4/10 completed for this challenge.

message 28: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 740 comments I keep putting off this book in my Pulitzer challenge because it's so long, but you just blew through it. Way to go!

message 29: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

I really enjoyed reading it.

message 30: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

I have completed 4/10 books for this challenge. At the rate of a book a month I am on schedule. Although, I did read two for January and no books for April.

Now with May approaching I plan to read either In This Our Life by Ellen Glasgow or Beloved by Toni Morrison.

Anyone read either of these two books and can recommend one over the other?

message 31: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments Katy wrote: "I have completed 4/10 books for this challenge. At the rate of a book a month I am on schedule. Although, I did read two for January and no books for April.

Now with May approaching I plan to rea..."

'Beloved' is an absolute favorite of mine, but it does run you through the wringer from the very beginning. All I can say is, if you're going to go for that one, make sure you're ready.

message 32: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Thank you Aubrey.

message 33: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1220 comments I've read another book by Toni Morrison, and based on that I'm sure Beloved is a good and powerful read.

The only one I've read of these ten is The Shipping News, but that was excellent - in a quirky, slow moving way. So since no one has sung it's praises yet, I'll take the opportunity to do that. lol

message 34: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Thanks Lenni -- I'm looking forward to reading it this year.

message 35: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
I can only offer feedback about Beloved. It is truly a Goodread, but Aubrey is right, you will be run through the wringer emotionally. A powerful story.

message 36: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

1988 - Beloved by Toni Morrison

message 37: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

I'm currently reading In This Our Life by Ellen Glasgow for this challenge. The characters are bitter self-serving people -- definitely not a happy novel. Has anyone read this one? It would be a DNF for me without this challenge.

message 38: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

Lynn (lynnsreads) | 3058 comments Mod
Katy wrote: "I'm currently reading In This Our Life by Ellen Glasgow for this challenge. The characters are bitter self-serving people -- definitely not a happy novel. Has anyone ..."

Sorry. It is disappointing to be forced to grit your teeth and finish for the sake of a challenge. I have read a few like that.

message 39: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

I"m trying to figure out how & why it won the Pulitzer that year.

message 40: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

I've read 5/10 books for the first half of the year, so I am on track for this challenge.

I should finish In This Our Life by Ellen Glasgow easily this month, and that will give me 6 books and in a good place to be able to finish this challenge.

message 41: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 740 comments Katy wrote: "I"m trying to figure out how & why it won the Pulitzer that year."

For this reason I have slowed down on my Pulitzer reading. Too many of the books didn't feel like time well spent.

message 42: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Whereas those that win the Nonfiction prizes tend to be really good reads.

message 43: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Finished The Keepers of the House by Shirley Ann Grau. Wow, what a read. And an unexpected ending.

message 44: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 1630 comments Katy wrote: "Finished The Keepers of the House by Shirley Ann Grau. Wow, what a read. And an unexpected ending."

Wasn't it good!! I really enjoyed it and keep meaning to read more by her.

message 45: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Excellent book. I'm thinking of trying to find a copy of Roadwalkers

message 46: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3174 comments I'm glad to see you loved Keepers of the House since I plan to read it. Congratulations on another one done Katy!

message 47: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Thank you. Hope you enjoy it when you sit down to read.

message 48: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Finished The Optimist's Daughter by Eudora Welty last night, that leaves me two books to finish this challenge. A bit last minute, but I think this is the challenge I will try to finish in December.

message 49: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 1630 comments You can do it, Katy.

message 50: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Thanks

« previous 1