Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2019 Old & New Classic Challenge > Katy's 2019 Old & New

Comments Showing 1-50 of 95 (95 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Katy, New School Classics (last edited Dec 30, 2019 09:24AM) (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9558 comments Mod
Katy's Old & New 12+2 Classics Challenge

Old School (1899 and earlier):
1) Mansfield Park by Jane Austen27 Oct
2) Rob Roy by Walter Scott29 Dec
3) The Odyssey by Homer 23 Nov

New School (1900-1999):
1) Lamb in His Bosom by Caroline Miller 19 Feb
2) Beloved by Toni Morrison 17 May
3) So Big by Edna Ferber 29 Jan

Wild Cards:
1) The Aeneid by Virgil (19 BC)
2) Lavinia by Ursula K. Le Guin (2008) 17 Dec
3) Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Pearl, Sir Orfeo translated by J.R.R. Tolkien (14th Century) 21 Jan
4) Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck (1935) 23 Feb
5) Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf (1925) 21 Jan
6) The Hours by Michael Cunningham (1998)

Alternates:
1) Staying On by Paul Scott 6 Jan
2) The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton 3March

message 2: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

This tends to be the most difficult challenge for me. I have yet to finish this one in a year.

message 3: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4959 comments Mod
Sandbagger, are you waiting to cherry pick from other lists? I wish I had thought of it. I’m looking forward to your selections

message 4: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Well sandbagger that I am, yes I want to choose from others' lists. But also I am in the process of purging the physical book shelves here at home, so I am painfully going through the decision process of what stays and what goes. The good news is that it reacquaints me with my shelf and those books that need read.

message 5: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4959 comments Mod
You manybe suffering from depression, it's difficult losing old friends. I did this a few months ago, and the box of discarded bookss still hasn't been taken out of the house.

message 6: by April (new)

April Munday | 277 comments I hoped to make up my list for 2019 from books that were going to leave the house as soon as I'd read them, but I've already realised that the the chances of that happening are slim.

message 7: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Well, the books are still in boxes in the house. Do you think I could hide them in another closet? ;0)

message 8: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

I was looking at my 2018 challenge and the two books that I did read from the challenge were two of the best books that I read all year. Now I just need to find books that I will actually read that will be as good as those books.

message 9: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

For my new school picks, I am choosing books that I already own from my Century of Women Authors Challenge

message 10: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

For my wild cards, I have chosen Classics paired with novels adapted from them.

message 11: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

And for my old school picks, I am using books that I own and are on our Old School Group Shelf

message 12: by Katy, New School Classics (last edited Dec 23, 2018 04:29PM) (new)

And for my alternates, I will be looking at my shelves and choosing two books that I am sure to read for 2019.

message 13: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

For all of my choices, the books are waiting here at home on my physical bookshelves. So hoping to clear off a few more shelves. I'll keep the books if they are 5-star reads, and donate them to the local library if not.

message 14: by Hailee (new)

Hailee | 365 comments I hope you enjoy Mansfield Park. It was on my list for this year and I liked it more than I expected to.

message 15: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4959 comments Mod
A very nice list and well planned out. I do hope this is the year they read smooth and are all enjoyed. I thought Mansfield Park and Beloved were fine reads, but Lamb in His Bosom for me was exceptionally special. Happy reading!

message 16: by Brina (new)

Brina My old school books are on the group’s shelf or in a current poll as well. Can’t go wrong there. Not to mention new school, etc on tbr anyway. It looks like we had the same strategy. Good luck.

message 17: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3941 comments It sounds like a win-win, Katy. Even if they aren't great, you clear some shelves! Personally, I'm betting you'll be keeping most of these. :-)

message 18: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Now for the plan for the alternates. Must be books that I own physically & know where they are on the shelves & I've decided to make it easy & choose books that I plan to read in January so that I feel like I can get a good start for the year.

message 19: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

And half the books are written by women and half by men. So a bit of gender equity.

message 20: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1574 comments I really enjoyed So Big by Edna Ferber. The main character is wonderful.

message 21: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Rosemarie wrote: "I really enjoyed So Big by Edna Ferber. The main character is wonderful."

Thank you, that is good to know. Because now I need to choose what to read on January 1st and I want to read a great book first.

message 22: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 609 comments Your planning sounds quite sensible! And I like what you’ve done with your Wild Card selections — that should be interesting! 😊
I hope you enjoy the books and good luck with your challenge next year! 😃

message 23: by Katy, New School Classics (last edited Dec 22, 2018 04:10PM) (new)

Katy wrote: "Well, the books are still in boxes in the house. Do you think I could hide them in another closet? ;0)"

Update: I donated 14 boxes of books to the local library. Approximately 500 volumes and honestly my shelves are all still full. But there are no books in boxes or on the floor now. I'll admit to some double stacking on the shelves though.

Looking forward to getting reacquainted with the library card and Overdrive.

message 24: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Katy wrote: "Katy wrote: "Well, the books are still in boxes in the house. Do you think I could hide them in another closet? ;0)"

Update: I donated 14 boxes of books to the local library. Approximately 500 vol..."

Congratulations to you!

message 25: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 68 comments I love that you are pairing Classics with adaptations. Should make for interesting comparison reviews.

Also, good for you for donating all those books!

message 26: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 3049 comments Hi Katy. Good you have Odyssey on your list. I amd Sam are planning to read it in January. Just perhals February. Would you like to join? I have posted in Buddy Reads Requests. If you are interested, either January or Feburary is good. If you are interesred, you can state your time lreference, and we can go from there. . . .

message 27: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Thanks, will do

message 28: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

First book in the challenge
Although it was an alternate choice

Staying On by Paul Scott
(Man Booker Prize (1977))

message 29: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

Lynn (lynnsreads) | 3291 comments Mod
Katy wrote: "Well sandbagger that I am, yes I want to choose from others' lists. But also I am in the process of purging the physical book shelves here at home, so I am painfully going through the decision proc..."

I did that about four years ago. I pulled every book off of every shelf, cleaned shelves, cleaned books, and put the books into order by category. I had twice that year tried to find a book to lend to a friend and had both times failed. I gave away a good many read books and made room. We have a total of 8 bookshelves (some of them "doublewide") spread around the house. I went to a local hardware store and had 5 more shelves cut to order to add into our cases and rearranged the physical shelves before reshelving books. The additional shelves made such a difference. I have been so happy with the results. And still, years later I can find the books I am looking for when I want them.

message 30: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

Oh and speaking of Mansfield Park, this is actually my favorite Jane Austen book.

message 31: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Lynn wrote: "Oh and speaking of Mansfield Park, this is actually my favorite Jane Austen book."

Oh that is nice to know. Makes me feel better about the choice.

message 32: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Lynn wrote: "...I did that about four years ago.."

I was buying books twice because I could never find what I wanted to read.

message 33: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Second book finished for the challenge:
Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf (1925)

message 34: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Finished another challenge book:
Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Pearl, and Sir Orfeo

message 35: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

Katy wrote: "Finished another challenge book:
Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Pearl, and Sir Orfeo"

Way to go Katy! You are on a roll.

message 36: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Thank you.

message 37: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4959 comments Mod
Looks like you are challenge focused so far this year. I struggled with Mrs. Dalloway and I haven’t heard of Sir Gawain or Staying On. I hope you continue showing this challenge who’s boss!

message 38: by Petra (new)

Petra Nice going, Katy! You've gotten off to a great start.

message 39: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

On of my New School reads done: 1925 - So Big by Edna Ferber

message 40: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

New School (1900-1999):
1) Lamb in His Bosom by Caroline Miller

message 41: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Finished: Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck (1935). That gives me my halfway point for this challenge.

I've never completed this challenge before, I think I can do it this year.

message 42: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Looking good on all your challenges Katy!

message 43: by Renee (new)

Renee | 864 comments You've already finished 6 of them? You're doing great on your challenge!

message 44: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Amazing for me.

message 45: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4959 comments Mod
I’m also thinking about Steinbeck for this square. I have both Travels with Charley: In Search of America and Sweet Thursday on my home shelf. If you have any info on either one, I’m all ears.

Half-way done and February is not yet over, you must have had a reading vacation.

message 46: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Winter has kept me inside this year. And my pup is now 18 months old.

message 47: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1574 comments You are rocking this challenge, Katy!

message 48: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Finished The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton; that completes both alternates for me.

message 49: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3219 comments Oh Katy, you read So Big in January also! I love that book so much. I've been buying it for friends. I loved House of Mirth also, even more thanThe Age of Innocence (both were 5 star for me)

message 50: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3219 comments Bob wrote: "I’m also thinking about Steinbeck for this square. I have both Travels with Charley: In Search of America and Sweet Thursday on my home shelf. If you have any info on eithe..."

I loved Travels with Charley Bob. I have yet to read something from Steinbeck that I didn't love. All are 4 or 5 stars for me.

« previous 1