Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Overflowing Bookshelf Challenge > Kathrine's Overflowing Bookshelves

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathrine (last edited Apr 21, 2019 10:07AM) (new)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Books may warm my heart and nourish my soul, but they sadly won't replace real heating and food – so this is my attempt to stop myself from buying more books than I can afford because things have been getting out of hand in 2018.

I'll combine this with the Book-Buying Ban Mini Challenge, so I won't end up buying like 13 books in one month that I haven't even touched yet.

Kathrine's Book-Buying Ban Challenge:
1. Read
2. Read
3. Read
Purchased:

I obviously won't count re-reads (unless I need to cheat a bit, but I'll try to keep myself in check!), and the Ban is for all books, even next in series and BR's my impulse book purchases, which aren't BRs (but include next in a series)

Will post a link to my Goodreads shelf of owned books when I've sat that one up. There'll be a lot of non-fantasy and classics on it, because I tend to read my fantasy books first and save all the classics for later. I could ask myself why I keep bothering to buy classics if I don't ever read them, but they're often cheap and I do want to read them at some point. Just not... now, when I've got all these exciting fantasy books tempting me. I'll try to change that in the future

Edit – Link to my bookshelf TBR books: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 2: by Kathrine (last edited Nov 05, 2019 08:29AM) (new)

Kathrine | 1246 comments LOGS

Kathrine's Book-Buying Ban Challenge [24]
Purchased: Shadow Scale

Kathrine's Book-Buying Ban Challenge [23]
Purchased: Bloody Rose

Kathrine's Book-Buying Ban Challenge [22]
Purchased: Wayward Son

Kathrine's Book-Buying Ban Challenge [21]
1. The Silmarillion
2. Red, White & Royal Blue
3. Wayward Son
Purchased: Red, White & Royal Blue

Kathrine's Book-Buying Ban Challenge [20]
1. Ship of Destiny
2. Life of Pi
3. The Horse Whisperer
Purchased: The Forgotten Beasts of Eld

Kathrine's Book-Buying Ban Challenge [19]
1. Dragonflight
2. Victory of Eagles
3. Jack of Hearts
Purchased: The Blade Itself

Kathrine's Book-Buying Ban Challenge [18]
1. The Blade Itself
2. Stardust
3. Nevernight
Purchased: The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

Kathrine's Book-Buying Ban Challenge [17]
1. Rogue Protocol
2. Record of a Spaceborn Few
3. Exit Strategy
Purchased: A Little Life

Kathrine's Book-Buying Ban Challenge [16]
1. Empire of Ivory
2. Wilding: The Return of Nature to a British Farm
3. The Mad Ship
Purchased: Sense and Sensibility

Kathrine's Book-Buying Ban Challenge [15]
1. All Systems Red
2. The Hero of Ages
3. Artificial Condition
Purchased: Wilding: The Return of Nature to a British Farm

Kathrine's Book-Buying Ban Challenge [14]
1. The Final Empire
2. The Well of Ascension
3. Ship of Magic
Purchased: Into the Drowning Deep

Kathrine's Book-Buying Ban Challenge [13]
1. Kings of the Wyld
2. Oathbringer
3. Black Powder War
Purchased: Jade City

Kathrine's Book-Buying Ban Challenge [12]
1. Moby-Dick, or, the Whale
2. The Company of Wolves
3. Circe
Purchased: Circe

Kathrine's Book-Buying Ban Challenge [11]
1. Dreams of Gods & Monsters
2. Emma
3. To Kill a Kingdom
Purchased: The Silmarillion

Kathrine's Book-Buying Ban Challenge [10]
1. The Miseducation of Cameron Post
2. Assassin's Quest
3. Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Purchased: The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue

Kathrine's Book-Buying Ban Challenge [9]
1. Royal Assassin
2. The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue
3. Words of Radiance
Purchased: Assassin's Quest

Kathrine's Book-Buying Ban Challenge [8]
1. Anne of Green Gables
2. Windwitch
3. Warbreaker
Purchased: Words of Radiance

Kathrine's Book-Buying Ban Challenge [7]
1. The Girl in the Tower
2. The Great Gatsby
3. The Way of Kings
Purchased: Windwitch

Kathrine's Book-Buying Ban Challenge [6]
1. The Little Mermaid
2. Assassin's Apprentice
3. The Brothers Karamazov
Purchased: The Girl in the Tower

Kathrine's Book-Buying Ban Challenge [5]
1. Unfinished Tales of Númenor and Middle-Earth
2. The Amber Spyglass
3. Victory: The Triumphant Gay Revolution
Purchased: Dreams of Gods & Monsters

Kathrine's Book-Buying Ban Challenge [4]
1. Glass Sword
2. Fingersmith
3. 1984
Purchased: Royal Assassin

Kathrine's Book-Buying Ban Challenge [3]
1. The Christmasaurus
2. The Odyssey
3. Days of Blood & Starlight
Purchased: The Way of Kings, Part 1 and The Way of Kings, Part 2

Kathrine's Book-Buying Ban Challenge [2]
1. The Phantom of the Opera
2. The Casual Vacancy
3. The Bear and the Nightingale
Purchased: To Kill a Kingdom

Kathrine's Book-Buying Ban Challenge [1]
1. Follow the Rabbit-Proof Fence
2. A Closed and Common Orbit
3. The Iliad
Purchased: Assassin's Apprentice

message 3: by Kathrine (last edited Aug 07, 2019 11:28AM) (new)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Goals for 2019
• Get my bookshelf TBR down to under 30 40 books (should be manageable? help)
• Read the books that have been on my shelf the longest

Some of the books that have been on my shelf for ages and that I can't even remember buying:
The Miseducation of Cameron Post ✔️
The Company of Wolves ✔️
The Horse Whisperer ✔️
Anne of Green Gables ✔️
Jane Eyre
The Gunslinger
Finnikin of the Rock

message 4: by Kathrine (last edited Aug 07, 2019 11:33AM) (new)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Overflowing Bookshelf Mini Challenge: August 2019

3/8 + 1 book read

Carry-over from July:
1. Ship of Destiny ✔️

August 2019 TBR:
1. Godsgrave 📖
2. The Silmarillion 📖
3. The Fall of Gondolin
4. Tongues of Serpents
5. The Horse Whisperer ✔️
6. Promise of Blood
7. Life of Pi ✔️

Also read:
1. Spinning Silver ✔️

message 5: by Kathrine (last edited Apr 20, 2019 02:15PM) (new)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Number of times a crime* has been committed: 6

*Bought a book (or six) when I shouldn't

message 6: by Kathrine (last edited Dec 04, 2018 02:59AM) (new)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Reserved

message 7: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1629 comments That's a nice looking shelf. You seem to have an interest in literary works as well as fantasy.

message 8: by Bea (new)

Bea | 2052 comments Good luck with your challenge!

Great to see the History of Middle-Earth on somebody's shelf :)

message 9: by Kathrine (new)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Chris wrote: "That's a nice looking shelf. You seem to have an interest in literary works as well as fantasy."

Thank you – I definitely do have an interest in them, but my motivation for reading them is a bit lacking at times, and sometimes I have to ask myself "Do I really want to read this or do I just want to say that I have read it?" when I'm contemplating buying yet another classic 😂

message 10: by Kathrine (new)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Bea wrote: "Good luck with your challenge!

Great to see the History of Middle-Earth on somebody's shelf :)"

Thank you! :D

I bought the entire HoME set + 5 other Tolkien books in excellent condition for 75 USD (500 Danisk kroner). I almost fell down my chair when I saw it and had to leave class to call the guy to ask if I could buy them right away. Still the best deal I've ever done, I think

message 11: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1629 comments Kathrine wrote: "Thank you – I definitely do have an interest in them, but my motivation for reading them is a bit lacking at times, and sometimes I have to ask myself "Do I really want to read this or do I just want to say that I have read it?" when I'm contemplating buying yet another classic..."

That's understandable. I've done the same thing.

Based on your shelf, I'd recommend some Guy Gavriel Kay. I see you have a couple as to-read.

message 12: by Kathrine (new)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Chris wrote: "That's understandable. I've done the same thing.

Based on your shelf, I'd recommend some Guy Gavriel Kay. I see you have a couple as to-read."

Thank you for the rec, I'd love to read some GGK! I'll start with Tigana, I think – there's a buddy read set up for late February which I'll join. I heard it's a great book to read with others because there's so much to discuss

message 13: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1629 comments Yes, Tigana is a good one. Was my first Kay..

message 14: by Kathrine (new)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Finished my first round of Book-Buying Ban, but I sadly don't get to enjoy purchasing a new book, because money this month is reserved for Christmas presents ...

message 15: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7585 comments Well done, Katherine! At least you will be able to look forward to purchasing a new book after Christmas knowing you've earned it! :D

message 16: by Kathrine (new)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Siobhan wrote: "Well done, Katherine! At least you will be able to look forward to purchasing a new book after Christmas knowing you've earned it! :D"

Thank you! Yes, I can't think of a better way to start off the new year than buying a book :D

message 17: by Kathrine (new)

Kathrine | 1246 comments I have committed a terrible crime today... I bought six new books.

In my defense, they were very cheap and most of them have been on my tbr for ages. But still, now I need to read 18 books to make up for my crime xD

I'll start tracking my failures from now on I think...

message 18: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5020 comments Kathrine wrote: "I have committed a terrible crime today... I bought six new books.

In my defense, they were very cheap and most of them have been on my tbr for ages. But still, now I need to read 18 books to make..."

I guess we all went through this, so you are not alone! :) Which books did you bought?

message 19: by Kathrine (new)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Sir Anni wrote: "I guess we all went through this, so you are not alone! :) Which books did you bought?"

I'm glad I'm not alone haha :D

I bought:
1. Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
2. The Great Gatsby
3. Frankenstein
4. King's Cage
5. Sonnets
6. And another edition of Crime and Punishment, which matches my other classics. I'm collecting the Arcturus books, if anyone knows of them: https://66.media.tumblr.com/3b7fb0071...

message 20: by Anni (last edited Jan 04, 2019 08:08AM) (new)

Anni | 5020 comments Uuuuh, they are so colourful, love them! :)

And Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell! Are you going to read it with us?

And with that many great books, I would acquit you of your crime!

message 21: by Kathrine (new)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Sir Anni wrote: "Uuuuh, they are so colourful, love them! :)

And Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell! Are you going to read it with us?"

I love them too! Once I started collecting them, I couldn't stop :D They are not too expensive and my local bookshop often has discounts on them, which are so hard to resist...

Yes, if I can fit it in my March schedule – it's a bit cramped xD

message 22: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7585 comments I agree with Anni - acquitted! 😅

message 23: by Kathrine (new)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Sir Anni wrote: "And with that many great books, I would acquit you of your crime!"

Siobhan wrote: "I agree with Anni - acquitted! 😅"

Haha, thanks :D They are pretty great books after all!

message 24: by Kathrine (new)

Kathrine | 1246 comments I did it again... This time four books, though only two of those were "illegal" purchases, but still.. I'm super bad at this challenge it seems xD

message 25: by Kathrine (new)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Update: As I'm totally failing at this challenge, I've decided that I'm now only allowed to buy upcoming buddy reads – at least for the next few months xD

message 26: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Here's how to abuse your new rule: sign up for everything! :p

message 27: by Kathrine (new)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Virginie wrote: "Here's how to abuse your new rule: sign up for everything! :p"

Ooooh, loop-hole 😍 And then I get more BR-points for the competition too! It's a win-win!

message 28: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7585 comments I like this new rule! Sounds fair to me! XD

message 29: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7585 comments Kathrine wrote: "Number of times a crime* has been committed: 4

*Bought a book (or six) when I shouldn't"

Hahaha a crime 😂😂

message 30: by Kathrine (new)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Siobhan wrote: "Kathrine wrote: "Number of times a crime* has been committed: 4

Hahaha a crime 😂😂"

I'd hoped that by labelling it a crime, I might be less inclined to do it – oh well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

message 31: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7585 comments Kathrine wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "Kathrine wrote: "Number of times a crime* has been committed: 4

Hahaha a crime 😂😂"

I'd hoped that by labelling it a crime, I might be le..."

It was a good thought! Haha XD

message 32: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 1548 comments I'm glad this is not a crime because I would be in jail ad vitam eternam

message 33: by Kathrine (new)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Elinor Master of Gifs wrote: "I'm glad this is not a crime because I would be in jail ad vitam eternam "

Me too... I actually haven't updated the number of my "crimes" correctly – just this month I've bought like four books when I'm allowed to buy exactly none xD

message 34: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 1548 comments I haven't finished earning the books I bought in London IN JULY and I'M STILL BUYING BOOKS.

message 35: by Kathrine (new)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Elinor Master of Gifs wrote: "I haven't finished earning the books I bought in London IN JULY and I'M STILL BUYING BOOKS."

We're all doomed to die a miserable death buried under piles of unread books. I don't even think I'm sorry at that prospect xD

message 36: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 1548 comments There are worst ways to die, I guess

message 37: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7585 comments Elinor Master of Gifs wrote: "There are worst ways to die, I guess"

Definitely! That's the way I want to go.

message 38: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7585 comments Elinor Master of Gifs wrote: "There are worst ways to die, I guess"

Definitely! That's the way I want to go.

message 39: by Kathrine (last edited Apr 21, 2019 10:06AM) (new)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Kathrine wrote: "Update: As I'm totally failing at this challenge, I've decided that I'm now only allowed to buy upcoming buddy reads – at least for the next few months xD"

Well, that sure lasted long 🙃 But I saw Jade City and Into the Drowning Deep were 80% off, along with a sale that meant getting Oathbringer 20% off. I am weak.....

Anyway, new rule (from log 13) is that buddy reads won't be under this challenge's book-buying ban – I'll try to target my impulse buying instead and hopefully actually have some success because this is getting ridiculous

message 40: by Bea (new)

Bea | 2052 comments Kathrine wrote: "Kathrine wrote: "Update: As I'm totally failing at this challenge, I've decided that I'm now only allowed to buy upcoming buddy reads – at least for the next few months xD"

Well, that sure lasted ..."

Well, one has to jump at the opportunity of getting books cheaper! 🙃 I looked up a book on Amazon the beginning of last week and it was only 6€ then. I didn't buy it and then checked it again a few days later because I also wanted to order a few other books. Then it was 10€. I still bought it 🙄

Anyway, I've been (unofficially) trying to get my Tbr down to 20 books since summer. Eh, it's still around 35-40 books because I keep buying new ones all the time. I know that's a tiny tbr in comparison to other readers, but still.
Then again, there are days where the size of my tbr doesn't bother me at all 😅

message 41: by Kathrine (last edited Jun 12, 2019 02:20PM) (new)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Bea wrote: "Kathrine wrote: "Kathrine wrote: "Update: As I'm totally failing at this challenge, I've decided that I'm now only allowed to buy upcoming buddy reads – at least for the next few months xD"

Well, ..."

Omg, I just now realised I hadn't replied to this comment – TWO MONTHS LATE. So sorry, Bea! D: Hope you're succeeding in managing your TBR!

My TBR is floating perpetually around 50 unread books, which is not... too bad, I guess? But I have a goal to get it under 30 before this year ends, which – let's be honest – will probably not happen xD