Reese's Book Club x Hello Sunshine discussion

One Day in December > Author Q&A

Comments Showing 1-50 of 70 (70 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Hello (new)

Hello Sunshine | 58 comments Mod
Josie Silver is here to answer some of your burning questions about her book!

What are you dying to know about her book?

message 2: by Natali (new)

Natali Thomas (lifeandpractice) | 1 comments Can't wait to read it! Coincidentally, it was my selection from Book of the Month Club this month!

message 3: by Maureen (new)

Maureen MacDonald | 4 comments Ordered today! Looking forward to it.

☕️Hélène⚜️ (timelessnreading) | 84 comments Hello! I just got the December pick will start it tonight so will give my impression soon! I’m not a big fan of romantic books but will give it a go.

message 5: by Lexi (new)

Lexi (readabookplz) | 1 comments Glad I added this as my Add on for Book of The Month!

message 6: by Anna (new)

Anna (annarella13) | 6 comments I can’t wait to start reading this book! Great pick!

message 7: by deezee (new)

deezee | 2 comments Finished it last week. It’s so good 👍🏻

message 8: by Jocelyn (new)

Jocelyn | 1 comments What's the story behind the story? What inspired you to write ONE DAY IN DECEMBER? Where did you get the idea?

message 9: by Josie (new)

Josie Silver | 28 comments Jocelyn wrote: "What's the story behind the story? What inspired you to write ONE DAY IN DECEMBER? Where did you get the idea?"

Hi Jocelyn! Thanks for your question.

So, I had a call from an editor I'd worked with previously - she asked me how I'd feel about writing a Christmas book. We chatted some more, and she told me she was looking for a story that made readers feel the same way viewers do when we watch beloved holiday movies; Love Actually, The Holiday, those kinds of magical Christmas films. It was a daunting ask - I adore those films!

So I watched them all again (in March!) and started to think about possible ideas. I've long been interested in the concept of love at first sight, so I put the two together to create what became the opening scene of the book - a missed love at first sight opportunity in London at Christmas.

It was enough of a springboard to get the characters up and running in my head, and I was away!

message 10: by Josie (new)

Josie Silver | 28 comments Hi everyone! I'm SO EXCITED about One Day in December being chosen for your book club - there may have been a bit of round-the-coffee-table dancing in my living room when the email came in!

I'll come by every day to chat and answer any questions, so feel free to ask me anything. :)

Speak soon,
Josie xx

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Weaver (mrsweaver2006) I will have it in a week I ordered it yesterday online. I can't wait check it out.

message 12: by Jamie Nalani (new)

Jamie Nalani | 1 comments This isn't a question. It's more of a tremendous compliment. Firstly, I DEVOURED your book in one sitting earlier this week! It's as if my favorite romantic comedy films and the best Christmas movies (minus the cheesiness) had a baby in book form -- or at least, that's what I've been telling my friends and other reading communities. I've been a bookworm since before I could read, but this one really swept me off my feet. With every page, I felt like I was watching a film in my head. Your writing is magic and I loved every bit of it!

message 13: by Jake (new)

Jake Jarvis | 7 comments If you had to cast your book as a movie, who would you envision playing each of the main characters? I‘m a very visual person, but the characters are so unique, it’s hard for me to decide in my mind who would play them.

message 14: by Jake (new)

Jake Jarvis | 7 comments Had you ever considered offering other viewpoints, besides just the narration from Jack and Laurie? I ask because there are points where I’m dying to know what’s going through Sarah’s head. Like after the accident, when Jack is being a jerk, what’s she thinking? I want to know why she stays with him. Does she actually see a long-term future with him, or would she feel guilty leaving him?

message 15: by Josie (new)

Josie Silver | 28 comments Jamie Nalani wrote: "This isn't a question. It's more of a tremendous compliment. Firstly, I DEVOURED your book in one sitting earlier this week! It's as if my favorite romantic comedy films and the best Christmas movi..."

Jamie, that's such a gorgeous thing to say, thank you! xx

message 16: by Josie (new)

Josie Silver | 28 comments Jake wrote: "If you had to cast your book as a movie, who would you envision playing each of the main characters? I‘m a very visual person, but the characters are so unique, it’s hard for me to decide in my min..."

Hi Jake,

Ah, this question! I've imagined it on screen in my head a million times, it's the stuff my most wishful dreams are made of.
As for who would play the characters though - there I struggle.
I'd love it to remain British, so perhaps someone like Emma Watson or Emilia Clarke for Laurie? Although I recently watched YOU (which is AMAZING!) and fell a little bit in love with Elizabeth Lail, who isn't a brit but nonetheless is SO Laurie in my head!

I find Jack even more difficult. He needs to be someone who can pull off arrogance, vulnerable and tender all in one go. Thinking of brits again, maybe Tom Hughes or Sam Palladio?

It's all a bit subjective, isn't it? If I was ever fortunate enough to see it on screen, I'm sure whoever took on the roles would become my perfect cast.

message 17: by Josie (new)

Josie Silver | 28 comments Jake wrote: "Had you ever considered offering other viewpoints, besides just the narration from Jack and Laurie? I ask because there are points where I’m dying to know what’s going through Sarah’s head. Like af..."

Hi again Jake,

I didn't contemplate adding Sarah's point of view to the story, but I know one thing for sure - it would be entertaining to be inside her head! I loved writing her character, she's so full of heart and sass.

She's someone who goes at everything full throttle (love included) and she likes to be successful. I think she really wanted her relationship with Jack to work out, but I think you're right when you say would she have felt too guilty to leave him after the accident. We know from Sarah's friendship with Laurie that she's a loyal person, so leaving Jack at such a low point in his life isn't something she'd have contemplated, despite his unimpressive behaviour.
It would have come to a head though - she's vulnerable to Luke's advances and I really don't think she'd have been unfaithful, so I expect she'd have called time on it if Jack didn't.

message 18: by Georgia (new)

Georgia | 2 comments This book kept me awake at night worrying about the characters and slightly nervous there wouldn't be the happy ending I was hoping for. So...I loved this! I was wondering though, the book jacket says two people, ten chances...but I didn't feel like Jack and Laurie really did have ten chances to be together. Maybe I just wasn't counting, but depending on the year, it would have forever ruined Laurie's relationship with Sarah so that wasn't an option and it would have meant an affair after Laurie got married which I think would have torn Jack and Laurie apart with guilt...so my question is, do you think they had that many chances? (Oh and can I say again how much I loved this book and the characters...even when they broke my heart or made me so mad.)

message 19: by Anna (new)

Anna (annarella13) | 6 comments Wow, I’m not sure who to root for! Jack and Laurie? Can they really be together? Should they? I’m not even sure I believe in love at first sight! How confusing! Can Laurie continue living her life and should she forget about Jack? What a dilemma! I’m at the chapter of the 14th of February of 2010 and I really can’t put it down!

message 20: by Josie (last edited Dec 08, 2018 10:10AM) (new)

Josie Silver | 28 comments Georgia wrote: "This book kept me awake at night worrying about the characters and slightly nervous there wouldn't be the happy ending I was hoping for. So...I loved this! I was wondering though, the book jacket s..."

Hi Georgia,
Thank you for your question. You're completely right!
In actual fact the original strap-line on the book read 'Two People. Ten YEARS . One unforgettable love story.' To me that makes more literal sense, it was probably a marketing decision to tweak it.
Although that said, there were many small moments across the years when Laurie & Jack could potentially of acted on their feelings - the ferris wheel, when she visited him after the accident, or at Sarah's leaving party, for instance.
So I guess we could say would have been countless times across the decade when they could have said or done something, but circumstances dictated otherwise. (I still think you're right though!) :) x

message 21: by Josie (new)

Josie Silver | 28 comments Anna wrote: "Wow, I’m not sure who to root for! Jack and Laurie? Can they really be together? Should they? I’m not even sure I believe in love at first sight! How confusing! Can Laurie continue living her life ..."

Hey Anna! I'm glad you're enjoying it!
Ah yes, that Valentine's evening - poor Laurie! (I have to confess here that Con-Air is my personal all time fave action movie. NO ONE saves the day like Cameron Poe.) Anyway - does love at first sight exist? I've had lots of people write to me since the book came out to tell me their own love at first sight stories, so I definitely think it happens every now and then.
As for should Laurie & Jack really be together... I won't answer that as it'd be a spoiler for you, but I will say that *if* he'd got on that bus, I think they'd have stayed together always.
Hope you enjoy it as the story unfolds xx

message 22: by Shirley Park (last edited Dec 10, 2018 01:38PM) (new)

Shirley Park | 5 comments I really enjoyed reading this book! I read it immediately after reading The Other Woman, so I couldn't help comparing the relationship between Laurie, Oscar and Lucille to Emily, Adam and Pammie. I perceived Laurie and Oscar's relationship as imperfect but honest, except when it came to Lucille. I wanted so badly to see Laurie appeal to Oscar for support! She was classist and unnecessarily cruel in ways Oscar wasn't. My question is what was the objective in developing Lucille's hatred of Laurie?

message 23: by Jake (new)

Jake Jarvis | 7 comments Do you have any plans to write a follow-up book? I have a feeling that Laurie and Jack live happily ever after. I wonder, do you think their future success is because they waited so long to come together? Would their love have fizzled if they took the chance sooner? You know, distance makes the heart grow fonder and all that Jazz. Finished the book, absolutely loved it! Cheers.

message 24: by Kayla (new)

Kayla Kanak | 1 comments This is not a question, but a compliment. This book was fantastic!! It had me crying, screaming, cheering, and crying some more. Josie Silver you have a definite hit on your hands. I can not wait to read more from you. Great job on your debut book!!

Read While It Rains (readwhileitrains) | 0 comments I loved this book! I read it over two days and it was the perfect Christmas read I’ve been searching for!

I was wondering how you found developing your characters across the years?

message 26: by Shirley Park (new)

Shirley Park | 5 comments Me too! We change so much between age 20 and 30. I'd imagine it'd be challenging to write the same person across that time span.

message 27: by Ilham (new)

Ilham Alam (ilhamalam) | 4 comments I just finished reading this book today and I was teary eyed from the ending! In some ways, how I got together with my husband is somewhat similar, as in there were many missed chances before we did get together (it didn’t take 10 years though, lol). I just wanted to ask: 1.) does Jack become conscious of his love for Lauri once Lauri gets together with and marries Oscar? 2.) If Lauri hadn’t called in the radio show at the end, would Jack ever have taken the initiative and tried to be with Lauri, seeing that she was divorced? Thank you so much for this lovable story!

message 28: by Novelishlife (new)

Novelishlife I finished the book and I was wondering if there will be more to the story?
I just felt like I needed a chapter more after this rollercoaster of emotions for these characters :)

message 29: by Book (new)

Book Nerd (booknerd222) | 2 comments Do you think that Jack and Laurie will be a better couple than Laurie and Oscar? Or even jack and Sarah? Also, I think I would have suspected Jack and Laurie if I was Sarah. Would have been interesting to know if Sarah ever suspected infidelity or feelings towards Laurie.

message 30: by Marco (new)

Marco (marcobooks) | 1 comments Were there times writing the book where you were surprised by what your characters did or said? Jack really became a little mean halfway through the book (he was going through things, but it just seemed like a deal-breaker). Also, SPOILER BURNING QUESTION: Was Oscar involved with his ex at some point as Laurie suspects? Or was it just the growing apart of the two that made her think that?

message 31: by Tristan (new)

Tristan | 4 comments Marco wrote: "Were there times writing the book where you were surprised by what your characters did or said? Jack really became a little mean halfway through the book (he was going through things, but it just s..."

This.

message 32: by Marie (new)

Marie | 1 comments Hello!! I finished this book recently and I enjoyed the book very much. I was happy that the book club's pick and couldn't get enough of the book. You just sort of feel for Laurie and the torn feeling she has between loyalty and her heart.

I wish though that the book explored the relationship between Sarah and Laurie after she found out that Jack is really the "boy in the bus" Since it was very much a part of why she couldn't just love Jack the way she wanted to and kept it a secret for years.

Overall I loved the book and want to read more of her stories.

message 33: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 8 comments I am really loving this book so far! I have a little over 100 pages to go and I feel like I know how it will end but I’m not sure if I think Jack and Laurie are the best couple? I love Laurie and Oscar and unless something bad happens, I have a hard time imagining them splitting up... jack is still acting like a jerk a bit but he is improving. I don’t know how I feel about love at first sight and I agree that many people end up with their 95%. But sometimes, that may be the best they can hope for so is it a mistake to give up on that?

message 34: by Tristan (new)

Tristan | 4 comments I just finished the book! So here I am, crying at work with a taco in front of me, thanks for that. ;) I loved this book so much! I'm wondering:

- Did Sarah purchased Laurie's train ticket at the end of the book as an olive branch of sorts to Laurie for missing her wedding and being so angry about the kiss Laurie and Jack shared?

- What parts of your personal love story were shared in the book? Are there any parallels?

message 35: by Josie (new)

Josie Silver | 28 comments Shirley Park wrote: "I really enjoyed reading this book! I read it immediately after reading The Other Woman, so I couldn't help comparing the relationship between Laurie, Oscar and Lucille to Emily, Adam and Pammie. I..."

Hi Shirley! Thank you for your question.
Well, I'd like to think that if Laurie & Oscar's relationship had continued, she'd have found a way to appeal to him for help with Lucille. Laurie knows that Oscar's relationship with his mum is particularly close because of his violent father, so perhaps she makes more allowances than she might of in other circumstances. I'm sure it would have reached boiling point further down the line though - Laurie's kind, but she's only human!

message 36: by Josie (new)

Josie Silver | 28 comments Jake wrote: "Do you have any plans to write a follow-up book? I have a feeling that Laurie and Jack live happily ever after. I wonder, do you think their future success is because they waited so long to come to..."

Hey Jake!
So no, at the moment there is no plan for a follow up book for Laurie & Jack. They definitely jumped through a lot of hoops by the end of the book, I think they're mature enough to know the value of what they have together.
Besides, they've loved each other in one capacity or another for ten years, which hopefully means they're in it for the long haul.

message 37: by Josie (new)

Josie Silver | 28 comments Kayla wrote: "This is not a question, but a compliment. This book was fantastic!! It had me crying, screaming, cheering, and crying some more. Josie Silver you have a definite hit on your hands. I can not wait t..."

Kayla, thank you so much! I'm thrilled you enjoyed it so much xx

message 38: by Josie (new)

Josie Silver | 28 comments Eva wrote: "I loved this book! I read it over two days and it was the perfect Christmas read I’ve been searching for!

I was wondering how you found developing your characters across the years?"

Hi Eva,
Thank you for chatting to me! I'm really glad you enjoyed the book.
In lots of ways it was a real luxury to have the ten year time span, to let the characters grow up on the page. They were all pretty naive at the beginning, weren't they?
The challenge came with deciding what to show and what to miss out - I wanted to make sure it didn't feel disjointed or jumpy, but obviously choose moments that moved each of their storylines along.
It was interesting writing them in their twenties & thirties - they're pretty important years for a lot of people aren't they, these guys included.
Jack in particular had a lot of growing up to do, where as I think Laurie stayed pretty level headed throughout.
They were certainly a fun bunch hang out with in my head for a few months!

message 39: by Josie (new)

Josie Silver | 28 comments I ALAM wrote: "I just finished reading this book today and I was teary eyed from the ending! In some ways, how I got together with my husband is somewhat similar, as in there were many missed chances before we di..."

Hello!
Hmm. Would jack have ever taken the initiative himself? That's a REALLY good question! So on balance, I think yes, he would. They were never both free at the same time until the end - I imagine that as soon as they were in the same place and both finally available, it would have been kind of inevitable. I hope so, anyway!

message 40: by Josie (new)

Josie Silver | 28 comments Novelishlife wrote: "I finished the book and I was wondering if there will be more to the story?
I just felt like I needed a chapter more after this rollercoaster of emotions for these characters :)"

Hi Novelishlife! I know what you mean, they really went through the ringer to get to their time to be together, didn't they?
We did consider an epilogue, and actually tried out some Christmas cards between them from across the years showing how their relationship developed, but in the end those final scenes felt like a perfect place to leave them to their own devices.
It was very tempting though!

message 41: by Josie (new)

Josie Silver | 28 comments Kassy wrote: "Do you think that Jack and Laurie will be a better couple than Laurie and Oscar? Or even jack and Sarah? Also, I think I would have suspected Jack and Laurie if I was Sarah. Would have been interes..."

Hi Kassy,

I def think Jack and Laurie are the ideal couple in the book, if there's such a thing as an ideal couple. They naturally bring out the best in each other, where as I felt Laurie tried to reinvent herself to fit into Oscar's life.

Sarah and Jack are too alike, both ambitious and competitive - I loved Luke as soon as he walked onto the page, big hearted and laid back, exactly what Sarah needs.
I don't think she'd have suspected Laurie and Jack, mostly because they tried so hard not to cross the line and both genuinely wanted to do the right thing. Not always completely successfully it has to be said, but they tried!

message 42: by Josie (new)

Josie Silver | 28 comments Marco wrote: "Were there times writing the book where you were surprised by what your characters did or said? Jack really became a little mean halfway through the book (he was going through things, but it just s..."

Hi Marco,

My writing style is very much 'sit down and see what the characters do today', so yes, they definitely surprised me many times over! I always have a beginning and an end, but how they get there is completely up for discussion as I go.

Was Oscar involved with his ex? I think he probably sailed close to the wind, but I also think he would have tried very hard to be loyal to Laurie. He really did love her, but I expect as time went on he began to feel their differences more clearly.

message 43: by Josie (last edited Dec 22, 2018 04:16PM) (new)

Josie Silver | 28 comments Tristan wrote: "I just finished the book! So here I am, crying at work with a taco in front of me, thanks for that. ;) I loved this book so much! I'm wondering:

- Did Sarah purchased Laurie's train ticket at the..."

Hi Tristan,

I'd apologise for making you cry, but it's kind of great that it had that effect on you!
Did Sarah buy Laurie's train ticket as an olive branch? I don't think of it exactly that way as it came some years later, but it certainly felt as if they'd all come full circle. I guess it signified Sarah's acceptance of Jack & Laurie's love.
I can't say that the story reflects my own life, although of course the romance I write is informed by my own experiences. It's impossible not to leave traces of myself between the lines and chapters - I definitely didn't fall in love at first sight on a London bus though!

message 44: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Barnes | 1 comments Still wiping the happy tears away! Is there a follow up book? 9 months later, maybe one day in September?? 😂👍

message 45: by Lacey (new)

Lacey Greenberg | 2 comments Please please please write a second book about Laurie and Jack’s love story!!!!

message 46: by Aea (new)

Aea (ayaea) | 1 comments I just finished it and my journey with this book has been a roller coaster!! I've finished the book in two days because it's so catchy and I absolutely loved it since i tarted it!!
I just loved the book in every single way. It obviously wasn't the perfect love story; it had its ups and downs; but it was so beautifully written that I could literally feel all the characters emotions, which rarely happens. I've shed wayyyyyy too many tears (I literally spent all weekend spamming my friends with videos of me crying and quotes of the book) in every sad moment and I could literally feel my heart full with happiness and love when something good happened . I also gotta say that I felt a strong connection with Lu and that kind of made love the book even more (if that's even possible).

Basically I wanna thank you for this amazing book you've blessed us with and I can't wait to read more of your future books!!!! - Aya

message 47: by Anna (new)

Anna (annarella13) | 6 comments I enjoyed reading the book. I’m not sure if I believe in that whole love-at-first-sight thing and I’m actually not even sure if Laurie and Jack should be together. I did not like Jack much as a person and when he snapped that necklace of from Laurie’s neck...even if it was accidentally he was a real jerk. Laurie was a really sympathetic main character. It was really sad to read about her break-up with Oscar. Sarah was the perfect best friend. The end of the book was in my opinion a bit out of character for both Jack and Laurie. I would like to read further, how is life going to be for them? It feels like the story just got started!

message 48: by Laura (new)

Laura Collins | 1 comments Hi Josie,

Absolutely loving the book. Started it yesterday as my Christmas Day gift to myself and am nearly finished :)

Could you tell us a bit about your writing process? Other than a beginning and end, did you work to a plot structure? And how long did it take you to write? Your writing feels very natural and easy.

Laura x

message 49: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 1 comments I finished this a few weekends ago on audiobook and absolutely adored it, especially as an audiobook which is often difficult. So many audiobooks have a narrator who doesn’t enhance the story and I’ve often given up on audiobooks and just switched over to reading (which I prefer) But I have to say that this was one book that I LOVED on audio.

My question for you is- Do you have any say so in terms of casting for audiobook narration? I absolutely adored Eleanor Tomlinson (I love her in Poldark😍) and felt she made a perfect Laurie and Charlie Anson really captured how Jack matured through the book. This book was absolutely wonderful and I’ve been recommending it to everyone I know, particularly on audiobook. Thanks for writing such a charming book with such captivating characters.

message 50: by Gayle (new)

Gayle | 2 comments I loved this book and it was a great way to cap off my holiday season. My question is: Oscar seemed to abruptly suggest the idea of having a child, and was extremely disappointed each month when the test came back negative. Was he pushing for a child just to solidify the relationship and give himself a bit more of a buffer against Cressida's inevitable advances?

« previous 1